Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Moderator Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium, EU
    Posts
    5,754
    Maybe they're just always talking with their mouths full?
    Sports & Fitness Moderator

  2. #42
    Pit Lord Frontenac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Québec, Québec
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Om nom noom nom nom, nom omnom nomnom om om nom om
    Omm nomnom omnomnom om?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  3. #43
    Well, I guess both pandas you quoted got Out Of Mana pretty fast...

  4. #44
    There was never an established "Pandaren" language. Blizzard added it in as a joke. Unlike other race that actually have lore basis for their other languages, the Pandaren do not.

    EDIT: I was wrong. I meant more that we don't see it used in the game and the one playable Pandaren have is just a joke.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-02-08 at 05:24 PM.

  5. #45
    Fluffy Kitten Lokann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Trapped in Rykha's basement
    Posts
    13,226
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    There was never an established "Pandaren" language. Blizzard added it in as a joke. Unlike other race that actually have lore basis for their other languages, the Pandaren do not.
    They actually do have their own language, it's a version of the mogu tongue tailored to fit the pandaren pronounciation.

    Just because it's new lore doesn't mean it's not lore.


  6. #46
    There was a "Pandaren" language in the RPG, but that is non canon now. The only thing we have now was that small list of random phrases they showed us at Blizzcon 2011. Other than that, there's some vague statement by Lorewalker Amai about the "Old Tongue" and how its changed and unrecognizable to the newest generation of Pandaren.

    I suppose I meant that there's no real use of the "Pandaren" language in any official capacity anywhere outside of a blurb by Lorewalker Amai in one quest.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-02-08 at 05:19 PM.

  7. #47
    I don't roleplay at all, but if that is really how the Pandaren talk, then that's just really unfunny and dumb. :/ It doesn't particularly bother me, but it's just kind of stupid.

  8. #48
    The Insane Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    19,786
    Maybe you just don't understand the subtle undertones and inflections surrounding the word "om" and "nom" which do not translate at all into text.

    i was not crying in the shower
    i just realized how i'll never get to meet darth vader and then soap got in my eye - Kylo Ren

  9. #49
    Fluffy Kitten Lokann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Trapped in Rykha's basement
    Posts
    13,226
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    There was a "Pandaren" language in the RPG, but that is non canon now. The only thing we have now was that small list of random phrases they showed us at Blizzcon 2011.
    ... And the entire lore behind the pandaren subjugation and the specific mention of their language being changed into the mogu tongue, in patch 5.2.

    It's a lore language. We may not know its specific vocabulary, but it does exist in the lore.


  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    ... And the entire lore behind the pandaren subjugation and the specific mention of their language being changed into the mogu tongue, in patch 5.2.

    It's a lore language. We may not know its specific vocabulary, but it does exist in the lore.
    Right, which is my point about them having it for playable Pandaren is just a joke and not the legitimate language. I made it obtusely and not really clearly lol, but that is ultimately the argument I was trying to make.

  11. #51
    Dreadlord Rayndorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Land of Tea and Rain
    Posts
    750
    I didn't know this - I actually find it pretty funny! Still, I understand how some people could find this annoying.

    Though who actually uses languages in RP, though? Not trying to sound arrogant, but I don't see people using them on my RP characters.
    “Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.”

  12. #52
    Fluffy Kitten Lokann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Trapped in Rykha's basement
    Posts
    13,226
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Right, which is my point about them having it for playable Pandaren is just a joke and not the legitimate language. I made it obtusely and not really clearly lol, but that is ultimately the argument I was trying to make.
    Oh right, sorry then. I thought you were saying Pandaren in itself is a non-existant language.

    I do apologise, you get used to all manner of wacko statements after a while on MMO-C. xD

    (On the topic of the language being... what it is, I do find it silly, but of course it could simply be that the other races can't comprehend the tongue and hear it as such. Maybe they speak a dialect that's like really really hard to understand. And yes, it's quite a stretch.)


  13. #53
    never saw a panda speak his/her language yet...
    but one thing I have been wondering. Horde panda walks up to alliance panda and says "hi" in pandaren...what does alliance panda see?

  14. #54
    Fluffy Kitten Lokann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Trapped in Rykha's basement
    Posts
    13,226
    Quote Originally Posted by S2omegaS2 View Post
    never saw a panda speak his/her language yet...
    but one thing I have been wondering. Horde panda walks up to alliance panda and says "hi" in pandaren...what does alliance panda see?
    [Pandaren] Om

    Horde and Alliance pandaren can't speak to one another.


  15. #55
    Are there any numbers anywhere of actual Role Players numbers vs real community?

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Adramalech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Trassk what are you talking about? The other "languages" are nothing more than repetitive gibberish based on algorithmic word scrambling and nothing more. There is no thought nor effort involved in it.
    Pretty much this. Every single racial language is seen as random gibberish for those who can't understand it, having a race's language consist of repeating "nomnomnom" over and over again is far from immersion breaking if the other 10 racial languages never were either.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-02-08 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    [Pandaren] Om

    Horde and Alliance pandaren can't speak to one another.
    lol...that's what I figured...I didn't know for a fact though...because its not like they are speaking common/orcish

  18. #58
    I'm surprised this made it into live. In beta I thought it was a placeholder joke. This should definitely be changed.

  19. #59
    oh my hgod i didnt know this, this is hilarious

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    EDIT: I was wrong. I meant more that we don't see it used in the game and the one playable Pandaren have is just a joke.
    Yup, never used in game. Not too bothered about the nomnomnom language myself, even as an rper. Always seen the languages mainly there only to exclude people from your RP.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •