Deleted

SOS Messaging has stopped working issue

Hi, I recently downloaded a program called Strong Vault online backup by mistake after trying to download something else which automatically but that other program on by itself and now each time I load my computer and get on the Desktop I get this frustrating error message "SOS.messaging has stopped working".

I've looked everywhere for help and everyone said when I uninstalled StrongVault that it left something behind so I needed to use CCleaner to fix it. For everyone online this solves the issue but I am still getting the problem. CCleaner fails to remove it but maybe I need to tick a special setting or something? If not then can anyone recommend something else I could try or show me exactly what I need to delete from my C drive (or E drive which is my storage drive) to remove this?

Thank you

If you haven't installed anything else after that, perhaps you should try system restore using most recent restore point before that program installation.

Not familiar with said software, but in CCleaner there's 2 cleaner options, regular "Cleaner" and "Register". Make sure you used both. You can make a backup of your registry in case in CCleaner.

You could also run a Hijack This and ask for competent people to sniff through it, and/or use hijackthis.de to get you started on going through the results. Don't delete anything at random in the results, as that can fuck you up, but as long as you're careful you should be good to go.

Lastly, if you can't get rid of it, you could check if whatever is booted can be disabled by going to start -> msconfig and check under Services and Start Up if there's anything unwanted there. As a rule, you can disable anything under Start Up (except OS Windows obviously. Also, that doesn't mean you should disable everything, especially if you're not sure what you're doing!), but if you disable the wrong shit in Services you can screw yourself over (nothing that can't be fixed, but still). Check the box "hide all microsoft services" and the remaining shit should be okay for you to disable. When in doubt, google the name of what you want to disable to see what it is.

A system restore could also easily fix your problem as Haloa mentioned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    Lastly, if you can't get rid of it, you could check if whatever is booted can be disabled by going to start -> msconfig and check under Services and Start Up if there's anything unwanted there.
    Thank you both so very much! I actually tried the "lastly" suggestion first as that sounded like it could solve the issue and it did. I could not find it in "services" but in start up there was the StrongVault stupid thing I uninstalled and it told me where to find it. It turns out it was in the "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local" folder which is why I did not think to look in there because AppData is a hidden folder type.

Thank you again!