Poll: What would you do if you found Horse meat in Beef product

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

up to 100% Horsemeat in british foods

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594
    So the typical Lasagna is made from minced beef, however it seems that somewhere in production the beef has been supplemented, and in some cases replaced with horse meat, without the knowledge of the producer. Now I understand that some people may eating horse and it does not bother them.

how would you react if you found that something you bought that was labeled as Beef but actually contained Horse ?

Personally, I would not let it bother me in the slightest (that it was horse) my only concern would be that the animal was raised and treated properly prior to slaughter.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-02-08 at 07:14 PM.

Not 100% sure... but isn't horse meat said to be taster?
    Of course that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to name is as "beef" when it's not...

Deleted
    At first I'd be a little bit shocked then I'd go out and buy a whole lot more. Horse meat is actually leaner than beef and you can't buy it here for some reason.

Deleted
    Doesn't bother me. If it tastes good I'll eat it. Could be cat, dog or bunny rabbit and I still wouldn't give a shit.

I'd be more bothered by the mislabel than by eating horse meat, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

Deleted
    I think the main concern is that the meat from the supplier is not what it was supposed to be.

Deleted
    didnt they trace it back to a farm in poland or something?

horse meat it self doesnt worry me, its just that we dont eat horse here so its a little worrying so much of it managed to get into our foods undetected.

10+ Year Old Account
    no problem with eating horsemeat but it shouldn't be labeled as beef

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    didnt they trace it back to a farm in poland or something?

horse meat it self doesnt worry me, its just that we dont eat horse here so its a little worrying so much of it managed to get into our foods undetected.
    Not sure, first I actually heard of this was on the news, still reading the background on it. Seems Tesco own brand burgers has horse meat in it too. I actually have some of them in the freezer, BRB going to cook Shergar.

I dont think that the actual producers knowingly used horse meat which is why it was labeled as Beef. This is also a worrying thought as anything could have gotten into the food chain.

I've had horse meat burgers before and they suck. Tough as hell and very gamy, without the benefit of being a game animal.

As for mislabeling, assuming it was an accident (hard to believe since 100%...) then just accept returns and move on. If it was on purpose then fine them, increase their inspections and move on. I hate the idea of shutdown plants and laying off a bunch of workers, because some douchebag was looking to save a buck.

Deleted
    I'd be up for eating horse, but I don't like the idea of being missold things. In addition, the beef/horse swap is being attributed to some criminal element somewhere in the supply chain, and basically that seems to mean there's little or no quality control being done.

Now, if I found out that I'd accidentally bought venison lasagne, I'd be back in tesco's buying up a dozen packs of them.

Thing is, britain basically doesn't do horse meat as a food. I'm expecting some celebrity chef to start serving gourmet horse in a restaurant now, and that might open up the doors to buying legit horseburgers later on.

(This, by the way, is our second "Horse in meat" scandal recently - we had the 29% horse burgers a few weeks ago. This is a year after the food standards authority was dissolved, too.)

My experiences with horses has made them out to be big dumb animals. I will happily eat horse meat.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more concerned about whether the meat is actually up to basic food standards, i.e. whether it's diseased, drugged to hell, infected in the flesh, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    in some cases replaced with horse meat
    But the question is why? Horses aren't raised and kept as livestock even close to the numbers cattle is. I'd imagine it would be more expensive for the food manufacturer to use horse meat in their products just by going by sheer supply and demand.

Deleted
    No problem it would probably just be the shock from eating it as you would expect to be eating something else..

I don't like horse meat, had it a couple times abroad and hated it both times. I'd return it. I don't eat that many ready meal type things though so no idea.

I don't mind partial horse meat as long as it's on the label. I probably wouldnt be able to notice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just FYI, horse meat is freaking delicious if prepared right. There's little to no fat compared to beef.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only of those horses were meant to be eaten.

I'd love to eat horse; but not under these circumstances.

If they labled it properly, I'd even prefer horse.