Poll: What would you do if you found Horse meat in Beef product

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No I wouldn't eat horse, I like horses, I only eat animals I don't give a crap about.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the issue is so much that it's horse meat, but rather that the labeling is a lie if it's a 'beef' lasagne. I read a story about a Tesco sausage having a human tooth in it, so you never know what they will put in meat products if you can't trust the label! The suppliers are often from all over the globe.

What is to say that horse was healthy when it was butchered too? The standards that would be in place to ensure no nasty stuff enters the food-chain might not be in place for horses.

Honestly at that point they should really just be honest. If it's horse meat, label it as horse meat, and if I didn't notice the difference when they weren't telling me, I'll keep right on buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I'd eat it, just like I'd eat the muscle (except heart/maybe tongue) of any vertebrate. However I'd would really like to know how it was killed and if it was raised for that purpose etc. I'm pretty sure horses are much smarter than cows and sheep etc so one would have to be careful as to how they kill the horse without being cruel.
    Raaaa!

Deleted
    Someone has committed foal play.

I'd eat it, but I'd get the inspection on it ASAP. If they lie about what kind of meat is in my food, what else are they lying about/not telling me? The list of ingredients is not optional, you know.

Deleted
    I would return it. The fact that the regulation is so poor that "mystery" meat ends in the final products is a serious issue. And that evidence of even wider contamination has been sat on for over a week (the food was eventually withdrawn), indicates the contempt the government have for consumers. I have friends who have to come to terms with the fact that they have been eating unidentified meat for months. I can't think of any terrible horse puns to throw in I'm afraid, for any unfortunate consumares out there.

Deleted
    I don't mind the fact that it was horse, it's the mislabeling that I'm not happy with. It's a good job I'm not much of a fan of beef in the first place.

One of the concerns that they are having is that they don't know of the horse meat was contaminated with bute which should never have entered the food market in the first place. Not sure if they've ruled this out yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    You would be eating horse meat bred for consumption, not some random horse that just happened to stroll into the slaughterhouse..........
    This isn't strictly true. The horse meat is imported from a source in Romania and the standards that are being met aren't verified. This isn't just Britain though, it's also France and the Netherlands.

Deleted
    Would eat it, Meat is meat.
    Dat unknown horse pumped full of steroids and all that horse tranq shit. No thx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't care less, it's produced in France, wtf do you expect.

However, that lasagne also contained pain killers which can cause cancer.

I wouldn't have an issue eating it, if it was labeled. I don't want to eat meat that's horse meat but labeled as beef, that means someone somewhere along the line fucked up.

Deleted
    if i order horse meat, i would eat it... but why the hell should i eat something i didnt order?

If it's good enough for Khal Drogo it should be good enough for everyone else.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Beef is actually Horse? what's next? Chicken is actually Lamb?

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 02:05 PM ----------

It could have been worse, It could have been human...

Deleted
    The horse meat has been found in cheap ready meals and meat products, the idea of 100% British beef products / meals being horse meat is absurd.

The manufacturers of said meaty products / ready meals are not at fault, they've been sold horse meat by their suppliers - all Eastern European I believe - under the guise of being beef.

The reason people are angry is that you have no idea what's in that meat - what antibiotics, growth stimulants et al are present, let alone being sold something that isn't what you believe it to be.

The concept of eating horses has nothing to do with it - the primary issue is the contamination of the meat supply system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horses are kind off dull.
    Now humans that is something I would actually want to know the taste off.
    Either that or some kind of chimpanzee or w/e monkey is closest related to us.

Wouldn't eat it strictly because when I buy beef I expect beef. I'm not averse to eating horse meat per se, but I have to know it's horse meat first, before I buy it.
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2013-02-09 at 02:12 PM.

As others have said, I'd be more concerned about the false label than the species of animal I'm eating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Horses are kind off dull.
    Now humans that is something I would actually want to know the taste off.
    Either that or some kind of chimpanzee or w/e monkey is closest related to us.
    Chicken, we taste like chicken.