Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    As a lot of people have said unless its a honda or a toyota there's almost no point.

I bought my corolla with 180K miles on it and not a problem with it so far. I knew a fella who had a corolla as well that had 280K i think and it still ran perfect. Great cars

Gasoline engines, no.

Diesel engines, however, last alot longer. For example, the engine my truck has (7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel DI) can easily last until 500,000 before a rebuild is needed.. Few have even reached one million. Why does Diesel last longer? Diesel engines are made of stronger parts, they run alot hotter, my compression ratio is 17.5:1. Diesel fuel is classified as an oil, gasoline is a solvent.

Price is also a factor. That kind of mileage, you can get a pretty good truck for 10 grand or less. Price also depends on packages and other things, of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Gasoline engines, no.

Diesel engines, however, last alot longer. For example, the engine my truck has (7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel DI) can easily last until 500,000 before a rebuild is needed.. Few have even reached one million. Why does Diesel last longer? Diesel engines are made of stronger parts, they run alot hotter, my compression ratio is 17.5:1. Diesel fuel is classified as an oil, gasoline is a solvent.

Price is also a factor. That kind of mileage, you can get a pretty good truck for 10 grand or less. Price also depends on packages and other things, of course.
    10 grand for a truck with that mileage? I want to sell you things, because you appear to want to pay 10x the value!

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    10 grand for a truck with that mileage? I want to sell you things, because you appear to want to pay 10x the value!
    Really depends on the truck but most Gasoline types with that kind of mileage cost between $2500-$4500, of course the average American made truck will go through 3+ transmissions before the first engine gives out, and it isn't uncommon to see Diesel's with the same millage selling for on average of 2k more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, wow, about 15 years ago, I got an old truck for like $500 because it had a zillion miles on it, but it was a great truck. Resold it when I bought my car to the neighbour who is a gardener, and he's still using it. There's no reason to pay over a couple grand for something with that kind of mileage -- even in top condition -- when you can likely find something for much, much, much, much less.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

200.000 miles? Wow.

Cars with more than 100k miles around here are mega rare.

If it was a 67/68 Mustang I would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Really depends on the truck but most Gasoline types with that kind of mileage cost between $2500-$4500, of course the average American made truck will go through 3+ transmissions before the first engine gives out, and it isn't uncommon to see Diesel's with the same millage selling for on average of 2k more.
    Friend of mine bought one - a 1991 Dodge Ram, with 360,000 km - for $650 just two weeks ago.
    It ran, we even drove it from the person who sold it's place, to his house. (He wanted it for parts.)

I wouldn't pay any more than that.

No way. You don't know if he started doing the right things after the dreaded 150,000 mile mark. Does he change the air filter every time he has an oil change? HAS HE had oil changes regularly (every few thousand miles)? Synthetic oil instead of regular?

Even if he has, I would be wary. Gas engines are rated for 150,000 miles because after that they can just die. That's why I like my diesel engined jetta, rated for 500,000 miles!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

would have to be really cheap but yea. I would then turn around and dump a few thousand to replace the engine and still come out good

I bought a 93' Oldsmobile eighty-eight royal w/ 16,000 miles for 2 grand. Talk about a steal

If it is a Toyota, the engine will still run even after the entire body falls off
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    So I've got my eye on this 1997 Jeep grand Cherokee that has been properly maintained and has no noticeable issues the thing is it has over 200,000 miles on it.

I figure I will drive it a maximum of maybe 5000 miles per year and doubt I will put even 25,000 miles on it before replacing it with something else.
    The current owner has down extensive work to it but to my knowledge it still has the original engine/transmission.

Knowing that would you buy it (my current ride gets roughly the same gas mileage and that isn't a concern)
    Depends on a few things: What's your budget? How much are they asking? Is driving it occasionally all you are going to do with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a subaru that isn't at 200k but it's getting close. It's a 1998. Still runs okay and cost be $3,000.

It got into a fight with a telephone poll last winter, lost, and after repairs it still runs fine. While I want to replace it soon, right now it gets me to work and to my drill weekends.
    Putin khuliyo

I drove a 20-year old Nissan that ran perfectly well with over 1 million kilometers (over 620 thousand miles) in the meter. Sure it wasn't eyecandy and needed some minor work done now and again, but it got me where I wanted to go and didn't fall apart on the way. I saw plenty of cars much worse than mine that only had a quarter of the mileage.
    Hell, I'd propably be still driving that car if it hadn't been so bloody easy to steal. Third time it got stolen the druggies decided to ram a police vehicle with it. GG. No vehicle for me up to this day.

I think the thing to contemplate is how many engines really get up to 300,000?
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I'm not talking a 1999 F250 super cab with 5.4L gas, I'm talking 1999 F350 or F450 with 7.3L diesel, dually, crew cab and xlt or lariat.

$7k truck http://everestmotorsinc.com/1999-For...1/Details.aspx

$19k truck http://everestmotorsinc.com/2001-For...2/Details.aspx

The 7.3L is a legend, there is a reason there were over 2 million made.
    Last edited by Rocko9; 2013-02-09 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Depends on the make of the car..
    E.g. Mercedes is expected to run 1.000.000KM (650.000 miles) as a bare minimum, if you have it serviced on regular basis, so 200.000 is nothing...
    We know the make of the car, so that's not very useful.

I haven't heard great things about Chrysler, who owns Jeep I believe. You need to give the price really. If its $2k, sure. 200k is a long time especially for an SUV with al arge engine. Smaller engines can last longer I think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a 1987 Benz 300. It had 220k miles when I got my Volvo. My neighbor had the same one with 500k+ and I came across a guy who was approaching 700+. So I would if it was that car, maybe a Honda too.

Bad picture of said beast, had to crop out some people.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...psc2220a2f.jpg
    Last edited by teebo; 2013-02-09 at 02:34 AM.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Smaller engines can last longer I think?
    Not true, whichever engine has to work less and/or has better general maintenance will last longer. Say you have to get to 60 mph in a short amount of time, the V6 will do it alot easier than an I4, therefore putting more stress on the I4 (has to work alot harder to do that). Or say that the I4 owner does oil changes every 3k miles while the V6 guy does them every 6-8k, the I4 owner will have his car longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I think the thing to contemplate is how many engines really get up to 300,000?
    Lots. Just none that are made in the US.