2 sets of gear for 2 specs?

I was wondering if all the hardcore raiders out there have 2 sets of gear reforged/gemmed for 2 different specs for example fire/frost or fire/arcane for certain boss fights were you want to switch specs? I currently only have 1 set of gear but was curious as to what other mages do for raids.

Also I'm new here but could someone explain the logistics of the haste stacked arcane spec? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maverek View Post
    I was wondering if all the hardcore raiders out there have 2 sets of gear reforged/gemmed for 2 different specs for example fire/frost or fire/arcane for certain boss fights were you want to switch specs? I currently only have 1 set of gear but was curious as to what other mages do for raids.

Also I'm new here but could someone explain the logistics of the haste stacked arcane spec? thanks
    I'm using one set and leveled a JC just to support my constant regemming. I could go Arcane/Frost and just do a haste setup, but my experience is that I do better stacking Mastery as Arcane. As for the specifics of Haste stacking for Arcane, it it discussed in the Arcane sticky.

Deleted
    I don't have 2 sets. Switch nearly 2-3 times a week between Frost and Fire. Costs me a fair amount in gems and reforges.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason everyone who uses two specs doesn't have two sets of gear is because you actually have to get the gear.

If you are just going to DE the gear then take it instead and start building a second set.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Deleted
    depends on your two specs really

Frost and fire works really good whit one set of gear (crit, haste gear) u can more or less ignorre mastry in both

frost and arcane little worse because of mastery being up there for arcane but the worst for frost, but can still work good haste heavy gear

fire and arcane sux whit one set the best stat for fire is the worst for arcane and the same the other way around so here i would say two set gear is needed

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time my guild expects me to switch to Fire is Garalon 25 Heroic. I don't switch because fuck reforging and regemming for one boss fight, even to the point where I don't care about being Trial for the rest of my raiding career. Still, my main argument is that someone still has to nuke Garalon's body. On overall dps I'm quite low, but I'm by far the first dps on Garalon's body.

I don't think it's necessary to switch to another spec on any other fight to be completely honest. Not even necessary on this one either, but whatever.

Deleted
    I understand switching for Progression, but not for farm.

Only progression bosses I switch to whatever spec is best for that particular fight and strategy we use. For farm boses I agree it doesn't matter.

Deleted
    The only time I have to set of gear was in DS when we were on farming madness HM for giving the mount for every raider in the guild.
    At that time, I have obtain a full set of trinket, 2 staff (I still don't have legendary) and a couple of other gear.

I have take time with WoWreforge so I was Hit capped in the 2 set but only optimized for Fire.
    I have raided as Frost for the last couple of week. Very fun.

Deleted
    It's okay to not play completely optimal on farm bosses, (unless you're trialling in a guild I guess) aslong as you got the best spec/gems/reforges for your next progress boss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    The only time my guild expects me to switch to Fire is Garalon 25 Heroic. I don't switch because fuck reforging and regemming for one boss fight, even to the point where I don't care about being Trial for the rest of my raiding career. Still, my main argument is that someone still has to nuke Garalon's body. On overall dps I'm quite low, but I'm by far the first dps on Garalon's body.

I don't think it's necessary to switch to another spec on any other fight to be completely honest. Not even necessary on this one either, but whatever.
    (Heroic.. Garalon HP 872.3M | Legs HP 26.2M. a Leg dead is 3% of his health, with a possible 100% dmg increase.. so the legs should ALWAYS take priority over the body, especially if you can sit in the 100% increase zone)
    I dunno how you guys do Garalon HC.. We just stand in middle, kill inner 2 legs and boss.. save outside 2 for dots, etc.. So, as Arcane (as some know, I was haste/invo), I would just NT the inner 2 legs and the body.. and go from there.. (legs first, body second). Our other mages would use living bomb, and my NT dmg (and overall) would be way higher then theirs.

@op; If you can get 2 sets of gear.. why not right? I have 2 sets... almost. Some heoric pieces are normal.. so i just re-forge/gem the few pieces I dont have. It's really just a personal preference if you play 2 different specs often enough.. I used to raid with tanks who used to have a "threat set" and "avoidance set" (when in reality shouldn't they be the same set? :P)
    Last edited by spaace; 2013-02-10 at 03:10 PM.

I have my main spec gear for arcane and 5 pieces of gear for fire. I just regemmed a few pieces like weapon, boots, and shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    (Heroic.. Garalon HP 872.3M | Legs HP 26.2M. a Leg dead is 3% of his health, with a possible 100% dmg increase.. so the legs should ALWAYS take priority over the body, especially if you can sit in the 100% increase zone)
    I dunno how you guys do Garalon HC.. We just stand in middle, kill inner 2 legs and boss.. save outside 2 for dots, etc.. So, as Arcane (as some know, I was haste/invo), I would just NT the inner 2 legs and the body.. and go from there.. (legs first, body second). Our other mages would use living bomb, and my NT dmg (and overall) would be way higher then theirs.

@op; If you can get 2 sets of gear.. why not right? I have 2 sets... almost. Some heoric pieces are normal.. so i just re-forge/gem the few pieces I dont have. It's really just a personal preference if you play 2 different specs often enough.. I used to raid with tanks who used to have a "threat set" and "avoidance set" (when in reality shouldn't they be the same set? :P)
    Legs have a standard spawn rate dont they.. and that means that most of the time, you have no legs up, so having arcane mage on main body results more dps overall, than having them derping around finding the legs which wont last more than 10 secs with the current gear..

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think its a standard spawn rate...
    Just another wag of the RNG stick. Sometimes we get legs spawning right after each other.. sometimes they are spread out.

Arcane is all burst... why would you not want to take 100% extra damage with 2 100% mana arcane missiles?
    If you're in a good spot, you can almost weave NT around all 4 legs, plus body, getting nice AM procs. Then in phase 2, we stack behind the boss and clean legs as they spawn, until the boss is sub 5% or so..

5 pieces of gear for fire
    Just because the piece is "hit/crit" for example, doesn't mean its fire gear..

Deleted
    leg on set timers killing all 4 legs gives u nothing befor the end
    cant rember the timer but let say 30 sec for garalon to mend a leg

if u kill of two leg to begin whit he will begin mending one of em, and when its mended he will begin on the other one that is down which means if u can kill the leg that just mended whitin 30 sec u will be rdy for the next on and there again will be a leg down he can cast mending on

the two last leg should only be taken down to get the kill the last 12-15%

this way healers have an easy time keeping up the raid if u have strong melee that can take legs by em self so the ranged can stack for aoe healing in insted of running around after legs spred all over the place

unless mend leg aint on a set timer(pretty sure they are), then disregard this :P

and btw the way im telling here aint the way we do it in the guild im in atm(im not a raidleader, so dont lay down the tagtics)

What I meant by 5 pieces of fire gear was a helm with crit/hit gem, the garalon cloak, amber shaper belt with 2 crit and 1 crit/hit gem, the tier chest, and the empress pants.

I currently am arcane/frost and use the same gear for both. I use frost armor/RoP for arcane. I gem with 320 haste in yellow slots, int/haste in red ones, and haste/hit in blue slots. I have 39% haste raid buffed and beast on the meters. I personally like going frost for heroic spirit kings, heroic will (we hardly have any slows/control for the adds), heroic blade lord, and sha of fear (i hate having to scorch constantly and grab orbs in the pagoda part as arcane).