Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    ... Don't cream your pants guys it's not because of Blizzard.
    Why would anyone cream their pants unless they got a LOT of stock options in this? ...the part I never understood about this obsession wether WoW gains or loses 10 or 20% of ther subs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    One eye in the land of the blind as we would call it.
    Did you even listen to the Call last night? I did listen to it and only 2 questions were asked of Blizzard. All the others were about Skylanders and CoD. Activision said that they have a skylanders toy in the hands of millions of kids that will grow up indoctrinated.
    Fire walk with me!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Well, it IS in contrast with Zynga games and their free to play stuff.

    Subscriptions have been a fixed income for the stock and as of now, WOW is the only kid in town with this regular income.

    I predicted that this would happen.

    One eye in the land of the blind as we would call it.

    Having 9.6 million paying subs while the rest of the MMORPG indusry turned (mostly) F2P and you have this lucrative market to you alone.

    It is a question of market posession really.
    And yet you still dont even understand the basic premise of why the stock jumped. It has very little to do with Blizzard and even less with WoW. If you look at the earning data on their year end stats you will see that the vast majority of the money is coming from Activision and not Blizzard. As others have said here its about Skylanders doing well and also the upcoming launch in China and also CoD.

    Additionally everyone would expect a stock jump with year end reports, you only have to look back at the trends of their stocks over the last 4-5 years and can easily see a jump each time the year end reports are issued.

    Cant believe I am bothering to reply to a BenBos post as I know any form of intellectual converse is out of the question with his one track close minded Blizzard can do no wrong white knighting crusade.

  4. #24
    Amusing.

    First of all, I don't know anything or care about some stocks or whatever, I couldn't even pretend I do. But I find it funny how when stocks drop, people attribute it to how shitty WoW has become and how people are quitting IN MASSES, and now that the stocks went up, people say how it has nothing to do with WoW.

  5. #25
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Well, other people posting in this thread do make a good point: ATVI doesn't COMPLETELY depend on WoW as a cash cow.

    I hate to agree with him, but as Cybran said they do have other lucrative sales like CoD obviously, and Skylanders.

    Because of those amazing sales, that's also why.

    I wouldn't doubt though that their MMO that has gained over a billion dollars every year for the past few years has an effect on it though.
    C'mon..this didn't stop ppl in the "Wow down to 9.5 mill" thread to bring "stock owners are asking questions" into the discussion. All I see is: Whatever the outcome, Blizzard loses. That is how you can twist it. And since Apple stock dropped DESPITE a record earning (because investors expected MOAR" it just goes to show how fucked up ppl are.

    And considering what banks and the stock marked brought to us in the last few years in burning money and loss of jobs, I can even understand this obsession less. i would expect that all of us hip young gamers give these numbers a fat middle fingers cause NONE of us is getting any richer off this.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogly View Post
    Cant believe I am bothering to reply to a BenBos post as I know any form of intellectual converse is out of the question with his one track close minded Blizzard can do no wrong white knighting crusade.
    Same. He will likely get me infracted again.
    Fire walk with me!

  7. #27
    Don't you guys get it? Everything bad that happens is because of ActivisionBlizzard. Everything good that happens has NOTHING to do with ActivisionBlizzard.
    Hell, if it wasn't for WoW being so terrible, stocks could be up 20%!
    Last edited by Eskobar; 2013-02-08 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevra View Post
    It's a #$^&*@ fantasy game. You're a blue space goat riding around on flying serpents killing dragons the size of continents. And you're wondering why a gryphon doesn't look like an eagle?

  8. #28
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,363
    "WoW is dead, Diablo 3 is a huge failure, Activision sucks, etc".

  9. #29
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    Don't you guys get it? Everything bad that happens is because of ActivisionBlizzard. Everything good that happens has NOTHING to do with ActivisionBlizzard.
    I think I can safely leave this thread after this quote. Well played.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    C'mon..this didn't stop ppl in the "Wow down to 9.5 mill" thread to bring "stock owners are asking questions" into the discussion. All I see is: Whatever the outcome, Blizzard loses. That is how you can twist it. And since Apple stock dropped DESPITE a record earning (because investors expected MOAR" it just goes to show how fucked up ppl are.

    And considering what banks and the stock marked brought to us in the last few years in burning money and loss of jobs, I can even understand this obsession less. i would expect that all of us hip young gamers give these numbers a fat middle fingers cause NONE of us is getting any richer off this.
    But the answer is simple.

    First all these games that contributed to this record revenue were ALL slaughtered on Metacritic users. COD 2.2, D3 4.2 and MoP 4.5 ... /10.

    Secondly: Because - as I said DAYS ago - subscriptions and market position is FAR more important than so called in game issues by some forum dwellers.

    And the stock traders see the market first. (WOW as the only one left with decent subs and COD and D3 setting records in sales).

    Simple.

    It proves that forum dwellers and trash talkers ... are living in a kind of vacuum without much reality checks. That reminds me of that young MBA student who predicted stocks would crash (which made me reply I now understand why some stock traders steal your hard earned money).
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-08 at 10:23 PM.

  11. #31
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    Don't you guys get it? Everything bad that happens is because of ActivisionBlizzard. Everything good that happens has NOTHING to do with ActivisionBlizzard.
    I think I have found my new sig.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    C'mon..this didn't stop ppl in the "Wow down to 9.5 mill" thread to bring "stock owners are asking questions" into the discussion. All I see is: Whatever the outcome, Blizzard loses. That is how you can twist it. And since Apple stock dropped DESPITE a record earning (because investors expected MOAR" it just goes to show how fucked up ppl are.

    And considering what banks and the stock marked brought to us in the last few years in burning money and loss of jobs, I can even understand this obsession less. i would expect that all of us hip young gamers give these numbers a fat middle fingers cause NONE of us is getting any richer off this.
    Whatever the outcome Blizzard loses? Are you for real? They just made 1.6 billion I doubt they care about what people say on the forums and if they do I am sure they cry themselves to sleep burying their faces in pillow cases stuffed with hundred dollar bills. How are people fucked up? They have invested their money in a company if they feel it is not performing as well as it should then they are perfectly entitled to take their money out of that company and invest it elsewhere.

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Whatever the outcome Blizzard loses? Are you for real? They just made 1.6 billion I doubt they care about what people say on the forums and if they do I am sure they cry themselves to sleep burying their faces in pillow cases stuffed with hundred dollar bills. How are people fucked up? They have invested their money in a company if they feel it is not performing as well as it should then they are perfectly entitled to take their money out of that company and invest it elsewhere.
    Well.. blizzard are in a family of superstars and Daddy activision is like "so what have you done recently little blizzard? and they're all like "well er.. we are holding subscribers and still have our hold on the mmo market! we released mists and it seems good so far! HOTS is coming out soon!" and daddy activision responds with, "oh.. well that's nice but I was hoping you would go out and do something more. Maybe take a page from your little brother skylanders, look how he's taking the world by storm!"

    Blizzard knows in his heart that maintaining subs on an MMO is no easy task by itself, especially the amount they have. Daddy activison is little interested though. Sure he's not disciplining his son for being bad, but he is hardly the pride of the family right now.. his success is old news

  14. #34
    Legendary! Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Blizzard knows in his heart that maintaining subs on an MMO is no easy task by itself, especially the amount they have. Daddy activison is little interested though. Sure he's not disciplining his son for being bad, but he is hardly the pride of the family right now.. his success is old news
    Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying but, 9.6 million subscribers isn't success?

  15. #35
    Project Titan = World of Skylanders

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying but, 9.6 million subscribers isn't success?
    9.6 million cookie sellers with 1 billion dollars fixed revenu is one thing, but doing this in a market where no one else is selling these cakes anymore , now THAT's the catch really.

    it is the wet dream of any business man: monopoly.

  17. #37
    Bloodsail Admiral Palmz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    Don't you guys get it? Everything bad that happens is because of ActivisionBlizzard. Everything good that happens has NOTHING to do with ActivisionBlizzard.
    Hell, if it wasn't for WoW being so terrible, stocks could be up 20%!
    For a game that's doubled, or even tripled the gross income for all the call of duty games combined, anything that has to do with Mario, all the GTA games...I think WoW is doing just fine and Activision is raking in the money every year with a game making over 1.2 billion a year. Overall WoW has made over 10 billion dollars and it has no signs of stopping. It's the most successful franchise and will be for generations because it will take at least 10 years for a game to pass the success of WoW, as long as it is making 1 billion+ a year and I highly doubt that happens except for maybe the Blizzard project "Titan". But, you're right, WoW is terrible because you say it is!
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

  18. #38
    Immortal Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeglo View Post
    Well, I own two shares! Weeee
    I own a good 15 shares

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Well, it IS in contrast with Zynga games and their free to play stuff.

    Subscriptions have been a fixed income for the stock and as of now, WOW is the only kid in town with this regular income.

    I predicted that this would happen.

    One eye in the land of the blind as we would call it.

    Having 9.6 million paying subs while the rest of the MMORPG industry turned (mostly) F2P and you have this lucrative market to you alone.

    It is a question of market posession really.
    UO is kinda still pay2play.
    As is EVE online,
    And those are hardly the only ones.

    But yes, f2p is becoming more and more popular these days.

    Author of: Goggle Cat Comics.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Why would a stock gain 10% on unchanged subs numbers?...right no reason at all. Wow is a cash cow but it doesnt make the ATVI stock go up/down. The COD China, Skylanders, New IP etc does. Especially with a disappointing Wii U and no new consoles, skylanders reaching 100million units sold is what investors are looking at.


    any sound investor would tell you that the subs number is disappointing. Why? Not because it doesnt generate a fuck ton of money but because the number is stagnant ....meaning Blizz's performance has shown that 10million is the CAP for this MMO and that it probably wont ever see significant growth in the future. AS an investor, you're always looking for GROWTH (not stable revenues). ATVI is successful because it has proven it can use the cash from Blizz to create new IP's like Skylander and grow them into a 1 billion dollar business.
    This is the money post. My friend works for JP Morgan Chase as an investment risk analyst, he owns a hefty number of shares in ATVI. This is almost exactly what he told me. Skylanders is probably the most lucrative IP to come out in gaming in a decade. It's what Pokemon was in the late 1990s and early 2000s, on a higher level. All the periferals and game sales are a monster. People over look it here cus it's out of our demographic.
    Last edited by grisset; 2013-02-08 at 10:40 PM.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •