Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    There a great company to make profit and money. Hardcore gamers looking for something else the over simplistic casual games will have to look elsewhere. The latest WOW expansions and D3, I will really feel bad when I will buy a future Blizzard product. I no longer respect Blizzard as a company.
    So stop giving them money and stop buying their products. Why on earth would you give Blizzard money when you don't even like their games or respect them? MOVE THE FUCK ON ALREADY. Half the toxicity in this community is a direct result of haters like you who obviously can't let go of Blizzard games for whatever reason and think it is reasonable to spew your vile everywhere you go.

10,000 shares at 19 cents a share results in $1900 per year. That is sooooo bad considering the amount you would have to invest to buy 10,000 shares. @ 13.41 dollars a share that's 134,100 dollar for 10,000 and it pays 1900 dollars each year.

WoW is steady income. People claim it's failing, etc - but it still makes plenty of money. No doubt.

D3 is generally considered a pretty big failure to its customers. I'm not going to go into the "it's not like D2!" argument or any of that drawn-out nonsense, but it's a pretty well-accepted fact that it's one of the most disappointing games in recent history. Did they sell a lot of copies? Oh, hell yes they did - they made a TON of money off it. (Even though sales figures are obviously slanted in their favor when you consider their 'annual pass' scheme where they were giving away copies of D3 for free) From a profit/business standpoint, I guess that's all that matters. There's more to it for the customer, though. There is a reason the D3 population has dropped to negligible levels, Jay Wilson was re-assigned to another project, (though, I don't put all the blame on him) etc. D3 was not some brilliant success. Like a lot of Activision games, it sold a lot of copies because it was an established franchise that customers WANTED to buy based on name recognition alone.

CoD is in that same realm. People are going to buy it, period. People may later talk about how bad it is compared to previous games, or they may love it - that doesn't really matter in the short-term, when we're talking about selling boxes.

I don't understand this hype about Skylanders at all. If somebody can enlighten me, I would appreciate it. It looks like some two-bit rip off of Mario World 3d. I understand it's being marketed as a kid's game, and people seem to be comparing it to Pokemon - but realistically, I don't think it has a chance in hell. You can make as many toys as you want, that isn't going to make your game/franchise a success. Maybe it has some huge following that I'm not aware of, but everything I've seen of it is completely unimpressive.

That said, Activision raised stock prices. Grats to them. I think that's what they're good at. I don't think that making GOOD games is something they're necessarily good at. I think that 'abusing' name recognition and their marketing works very well for them.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-02-10 at 06:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I don't understand this hype about Skylanders at all. If somebody can enlighten me, I would appreciate it. It looks like some two-bit rip off of Mario World 3d. I understand it's being marketed as a kid's game, and people seem to be comparing it to Pokemon - but realistically, I don't think it has a chance in hell. You can make as many toys as you want, that isn't going to make your game/franchise a success. Maybe it has some huge following that I'm not aware of, but everything I've seen of it is completely unimpressive.
    $500 million in sales for Skylanders games, toys and accessories in the U.S. alone would like to talk to you. It's around a billion dollars world wide. The action figures associated with it are apparently selling as well Star Wars toys in some spots. It doesn't play by the same rules as other games since it's really for kids. It's a whole other market that people here generally don't even realize exists.

Here's a decent article about it: http://www.destructoid.com/over-100-...r-244131.phtml

Apparently it's popular enough that Disney is making a move to copy it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-10 at 07:35 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    But i tought, WoW is dead?
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    [..]
    Especially in a market like entertainment/ video games. Only apple with its freak iphone phenomena pulled that off and that doesn't happen all the time. Yet if you look at micro soft that stock is doing shit and nearly everyone and there mother has windows on there computers. That's a product and clearly it isn't effecting that stock like you'd think. Why would wow be any different in nature for a product and stock relationship.
    [...]
    MS can only follow; not innovate. As such, they're always too late, unless they were able to leverage their market share. A clear example of this is the IE vs Netscape vs Firefox debacle. They have 2 cash cows: MS Windows and MS Office. Both are on their way out because the desktop is becoming more and more irrelevant. All their new endeavors have been either almost completely a loss (Xbox), been killed (Windows Mobile), or are very new / don't yet have reputation of high quality / irrelevant (Windows Phone, Bing). Add to that the fiasco of Windows in a good part of its history (basically until XP became mainstream), stability and security wise, as well as the problems with Vista, and the fact it is a convicted monopolist in EU, KR, JP and likely other countries. You can also quote Ballmer on saying he only started the Xbox project because Sony didn't want to listen to him. Until Microsoft is able to gain another cash cow (which neither Windows 8 or Windows Phone or Xbox are) you'll find Microsoft more and more becoming irrelevant, but keeping to try buy innovators with its large and deep pockets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting... I don't expect the price spike to last more than a few months though (if that)
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiknee View Post
    Very interesting... I don't expect the price spike to last more than a few months though (if that)
    Oh no! Why did you bump this? You'll only encourage him.

Seriously though I would expect the share price to remain at this price or climb a bit until the Q4 results I have a feeling that over Christmas Skylanders was a license to print money.

the share price is now up 19% from before the earnings call.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"