Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blue Child MIA again?

Okay, this might sound (and to a point, it is) really useless, but it seems to me that after Blizzard made WoW nights decently dark again, the Blue Child went missing.

For those of you that do not know, Azeroth has traditionally two moons: the Pale Lady - your typical moon; and the Blue Child - a smaller blue moon with a slight greenish hue. This smaller moon was removed at the start of TBC (if I'm not mistaken) due to technical issues, which I am not aware of, and finally returned to our skies with MoP. However, when I was looking at the night skies tonight, I realised the Blue Child went missing again. Is it just me being blind, or is it really gone again without warning?

Blue Child, where art thou?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since pretty much 100% of this is new information to me, I can't help you, but now I'm curious to hear from posters who actually know stuff.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    didnt the second moon dissapear a long time ago? or did they put it back in, and now removed it again?
    and whats this about it being dark again?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    didnt the second moon dissapear a long time ago? or did they put it back in, and now removed it again?
    It was back at the start of Mists (or at least it was in the beta). haven't looked up too much and didnt notice if it was or was not there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSTMASTER View Post
    It was back at the start of Mists (or at least it was in the beta). haven't looked up too much and didnt notice if it was or was not there.
    h, i never actually looked :P

but are they actually making dark at night again? seriously stormwind at night in cata was just as bight if not brighter than day time.

Blue child is up during a different cycle from the White lady. It's a believable "cycle". Should still be there. It's also visible in the sky through morning hours, as it sets.

I like to think it's missing now because there's a huge Burning Legion...space.... thingy blocking it from view, that will crash into Azeroth and start all kinds of wacky fun stuff next expansion. That's just my little fan boy, no real basis with anything at all, solution to where it is.

Coming Soon: World of Warcraft, the reign of the Burning Legion Space Thingy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Yes, as I said it was removed with TBC but they brought it back with MOP. The "darker nights" was something Blizzard recently implemented (like a few days ago) by getting Azerothian nights slightly darker than they used to be, it's not easily noticeble though. It seems to me that since then the Blue Child disappeared from the skies again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Perhaps it's just space nerds like me, but I really like it when both moons are visible. Makes Azeroth feel a bit more .. alien
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How much do you want to bet that somewhere down the line it turns out that at least one of the moons is really a titan space station?

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw it a day or two ago, and I don't know what you mean by making the nights darker.

First off, what the hell are you talking about when you say Azeroth got darker nights? We made a popular thread a week ago that Blizzard said they took notice of, we had no news at all of a change made, especially so soon after the discussion took place.

You sound like someone who just heard a rumor and it passing it on in classic WOW fashion.

Secondly, the second Moon glitched out at the end of Vanilla and would get stuck on the horizon line, probably due to the way they created sunsets and sun rises with special lighting on the horizon. For weeks or months the moon would glitch out and get stuck there, often with blank tiles making squares in the sky around it. It was really ugly and ruined the landscape.

So Blizzard removed it with TBC's release as I recall.

it came back with MOP, but it follows it's own orbit. Sometimes the small moon will only be visible at day time while the other moon is visible at night time, sometimes their orbit makes them align, sometimes if you are lucky you see both moons aligned with the sun itself.

They all have their own orbit. That last time I saw both moons in the sky at one time while paying attention was 2 weeks ago. But sometimes they are 12 hours apart from each other, just like real life.

Nothing was removed, the orbit is just independent. And as far as I know, the sky WAS NOT made darker recently. Where the hell that came from I'd like to know.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think since Blue Child is half the size of the White Lady, it's orbit is double the amount, it'll appear one day, the disappear the next day, but reappear the next.

Ooooooooh goly~
    | [ My Twitch ] |

10+ Year Old Account
    The Blue Child is, more often than not that I've seen, out during the day as opposed to the night.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I've seen it during mist. Next time I see it I'll take a SS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KinKarasu View Post
    I think since Blue Child is half the size of the White Lady, it's orbit is double the amount, it'll appear one day, the disappear the next day, but reappear the next.
    Moons aren't all the same size, it could as well be closer and alot smaller.

It's time for them to revamp the entire sky and make it more realistic, none of that "rise in northwest and set in northwest" crap. Everything should rise east and set west. And make nights much darker, not just the sky, the ground as well.

Even Minecraft got it right, WoW nights should be as dark as Minecraft nights.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with making nights significantly darker is that a lot of people ONLY play at night and would end up playing in the dark all the time.

10+ Year Old Account

Blue Child on live, taken on Cenarion Circle US over Stormwind at approximately 7:40 AM realm time.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Moons aren't all the same size, it could as well be closer and alot smaller.

It's time for them to revamp the entire sky and make it more realistic, none of that "rise in northwest and set in northwest" crap. Everything should rise east and set west. And make nights much darker, not just the sky, the ground as well.

Even Minecraft got it right, WoW nights should be as dark as Minecraft nights.
    Rising east and setting west is an earth thing. On Azeroth, it could easily be the other way around.
    Besides, is this really something important? I think not.

As for the nights, they are as bright as they are entirely on purpose. If you can't play during the day, you don't want to end up in pitch black darkness.

actually even though server time is 11 am and the sun is up, that moon your talking about is up too..

Ill edit when I get a good enough screeny

-edit-

That doesnt look like the "pale lady" to me

http://imgur.com/JyCUa0G
    Last edited by Nilinor; 2013-02-09 at 04:04 PM.