Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are trinkets in the game?

I don't see why trinkets weren't quickly removed along with relics. All they offer are passive stat bonuses that are always quickly mathed out in the end which gives no intuitive gameplay for the player.

I've always seen trinkets in this game as a burden rather than a fun asset. Whenever a new raid or patch comes out the first thing people look for are trinkets and find which one best suits their class and spec. If they don't do this then they get heckled by fellow guild mates or other potential guilds you are apping to. The most common situation I see was guilds asking players why they weren't taking the "DMF" trinkets because it was mathed out to be the best.

Sure we sometimes get those trinkets that provide cool aesthetics like Deathbring's Will, but soon after the cool factor just fades away and it goes back to just being a semi-passive stat bonus that we replace later on.

If we followed the same reasoning behind getting rid of relics, then trinkets should have gone with them. If we really want trinkets to stay in the game, then they need to be something that provides intuitive gameplay instead of just being a semi-passive stat bonuses that we replace every tier like we did with relics.

Trinkets are the single most brilliant piece of gear in the game, barring tier set bonuses. No other pieces of gear have much effect on your rotation, but seeing and reacting to trinkets procs is a very important part of playing a dps class to its fullest. Also many tank trinkets with active effects serve as additional CDs when the need arises.
    In promulgating your esoteric cogitations or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous panderosity.

10+ Year Old Account
    For that matter, why do we have gems? Waist-pieces? Wrists? Technically they're all just stat sticks.

Trinkets are very useful in one part of the process: getting to certain caps. I kept, when I was still a 25 man raider, a collection of trinkets in my bags for use on certain fights. For instance, on Alsyrazor I'd switch out to my Heroic Heart of Rage for expertise when tanking the hatchlings. I'd switch to my dodge trinket...Vial of Stolen Memories, I think it was, for Baleroc. IN current content I was holding onto a Dragonling until I had enough hit/exp/haste on my gear to make up for the loss switching to a pure haste trinket.

Relics are nothing like trinkets. Trinkets bring some life to your rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    For that matter, why do we have gems? Waist-pieces? Wrists? Technically they're all just stat sticks.

Trinkets are very useful in one part of the process: getting to certain caps. I kept, when I was still a 25 man raider, a collection of trinkets in my bags for use on certain fights. For instance, on Alsyrazor I'd switch out to my Heroic Heart of Rage for expertise when tanking the hatchlings. I'd switch to my dodge trinket...Vial of Stolen Memories, I think it was, for Baleroc. IN current content I was holding onto a Dragonling until I had enough hit/exp/haste on my gear to make up for the loss switching to a pure haste trinket.
    This pretty much...Also i LIKED relics and ranged slots. Not everyone found them useless ya know.

I love trinkets, they are far more interesting than most gear options and the ones in this latest tier are, in my opinion, some of the best yet.

Equip: When your attacks hit you have a chance to gain 7,333 Agility and summon 3 Voodoo Gnomes for 20 sec.
    Equip: When your attacks hit you have a chance to trigger Re-Origination. Re-Origination converts all of your Critical Strike, Haste, and Mastery into the highest of those three attributes for 20 sec.
    Equip: Your attacks have a chance to grant you a Spark of Zandalar. Once you have accumulated 10 Sparks, you will transform into a Zandalari Warrior and gain 7,333 Strength for 20 sec.
    Equip: Your damaging spells have a chance to grant 100% critical strike chance for 4 sec.

These are far more exciting bonuses than the flat addition to stats that you get from a new pair of shoes.
    The only other items that are nearly as good are weapons with procs and for some cruel reason Blizzard has decided to limit those to end tier raids most of the time.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2013-02-09 at 01:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to bring back the old relics that were actually, god forbid, interesting.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    I don't see why trinkets weren't quickly removed along with relics. All they offer are passive stat bonuses that are always quickly mathed out in the end which gives no intuitive gameplay for the player.

You're describing most gear in the game, but NOT trinkets. Trinkets normally provide some kind of proc or activated ability which can alter rotations for DPS and survival for tanks in significant ways. If you think flat passive stat bonuses are boring you should be asking "Why there any off pieces of gear in the game which provide no set bonuses?". The answer to this is pretty simple, getting new gear gives people something to strive for which improves their character. If every gear upgrade provided some kind of activated ability or proc gameplay would quickly become too complicated for most players. Having a limited number of gear upgrades which significantly alter gameplay (trinkets, weapon procs, set bonuses) makes some upgrades more interesting, but having other solely passive ones (rings, necklaces, boots, belts, etc.) gives players a way to advance in power beyond the level cap, and something to look forward to on boss kills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    You're describing most gear in the game, but NOT trinkets. Trinkets normally provide some kind of proc or activated ability which can alter rotations for DPS and survival for tanks in significant ways.
    Great tanks have multiple trinkets for multiple encounters. For example, I had a magic resistance trinket I used for tanking zon'ozz that was very helpful.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Relics are nothing like trinkets. Trinkets bring some life to your rotation.
    Older relics before they made them stats only could bring alot of variance to how you played gemmed/geared. ARP frost dks used an older lower ilevel relic that made oblit hit harder. Taking out really the last unique piece of gear would make it worse. Trinkets and set bonus's are really the only thing outside of changes to class abilities that make anything change anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old school relics were awesome, back when they actually affected gameplay instead of just being piece of stat.

Trinkets are more along the lines of old school relics, they have effects on gameplay.

Deleted
    The removal of relics and head enchants is already bad enough. We need more, not less.
    Relics should be re-added, and earrings should be added as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkfoot View Post
    Older relics before they made them stats only could bring alot of variance to how you played gemmed/geared. ARP frost dks used an older lower ilevel relic that made oblit hit harder. Taking out really the last unique piece of gear would make it worse. Trinkets and set bonus's are really the only thing outside of changes to class abilities that make anything change anymore.
    I never played a class with a relic slot until cata, i guess i never paid attention to them. I do remember one that decreased the mana from a spell or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    The removal of relics and head enchants is already bad enough. We need more, not less.
    I can understand Relics but why Head Enchants? Those never did anything particularly interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look closely at an empty trinket slot.

It's an ear.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I can understand Relics but why Head Enchants? Those never did anything particularly interesting.
    They added more stats. Necklaces should be enchantable too.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Look closely at an empty trinket slot.

It's an ear.
    LMAO, you're right!

Trinkets are earrings. That's the icon in the slot when you don't have one equipped.

It gives people two more slots to obsess over, thus keeping them playing more.

They added more stats. Necklaces should be enchantable too.
    Eh...
    I liked relics because of the trinket-like procs.
    More stats just isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    They need to bring back the old relics that were actually, god forbid, interesting.
    When they homogenised them the class specific function and flare, which was interesting, was thrown out the window.