Thread: Pain from magic

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pain from magic

Which magic type hurts the worst? Super heated Pyroblasts? Searing holy power? Ice-laden Frostbolts?

My list (most to least painful)
    Shadow/Unholy
    Fire
    Arcane
    Frost
    Nature
    Holy

Shadow is probably a mental pain more than a physical, which is why I'd give it the nod over fire. Holy, likely just feels like standing near a heater. It's warm and cozy and you don't immediately realise it's killing you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Shadow (the priest version, specifically) would probably be the worst, since it's attacking your mind. I would imagine that physical pain would be easier to bear than something destroying your mind.

Holy I would put as the second-worst. Holy is like shadow, except instead of attacking your mind it attacks your soul. From various sources it sounds like holy damage burns like fire, but unlike fire it won't burn away your nerves to end the pain prematurely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I think Shadow (the priest version, specifically) would probably be the worst, since it's attacking your mind. I would imagine that physical pain would be easier to bear than something destroying your mind.

Holy I would put as the second-worst. Holy is like shadow, except instead of attacking your mind it attacks your soul. From various sources it sounds like holy damage burns like fire, but unlike fire it won't burn away your nerves to end the pain prematurely.
    Except all that can't be true, since Priests can destroy mechs, such as Goblin Shredders, Missile Launchers etc.... regardless of spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Except all that can't be true, since Priests can destroy mechs, such as Goblin Shredders, Missile Launchers etc.... regardless of spec.
    Gameplay and Story Segregation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nature as lightning it would do jack shit to someone in plate or mail armor (Faraday cage).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Nature as lightning it would do jack shit to someone in plate or mail armor (Faraday cage).
    Metal armor attracts lightning. Poison is in the nature category as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow most likely. Holy magic probably hurts really bad if you're undead or a demon.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Armors aren't made to direct currents of electricity. Plus, it'd be getting pretty warm in full plate if someone starts tossing lightning at you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal armor attracts lightning. Poison is in the nature category as well.
    Doesn't matter if metal attracts lightning. Lightning wouldn't do anything to someone wrapped in metal. Look up what a Faraday cage is.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Armors aren't made to direct currents of electricity. Plus, it'd be getting pretty warm in full plate if someone starts tossing lightning at you.
    It doesn't have to be designed, it's a property of conductive metals. So long as you are wrapped, you are protected.

Deleted
    Doesn't matter if metal attracts lightning. Lightning wouldn't do anything to someone wrapped in metal. Look up what a Faraday cage is.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 07:34 PM ----------

It doesn't have to be designed, it's a property of conductive metals. So long as you are wrapped, you are protected.
    Are you so sure about that? Try wearing full plate and stand on top of a tower during the next thunderstorm and see if you can survive getting struck by 2 million volts. Most likely you'd get vaporised in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you so sure about that? Try wearing full plate and stand on top of a tower during the next thunderstorm and see if you can survive getting struck by 2 million volts. Most likely you'd get vaporised in there.
    Gladly, because I understand physics. Just make sure I'm properly secured to the tower, I don't want the wind blowing me off.

EDIT: Getting hit by lightning while unprotected wouldn't vaporize a person anyway. It would burn a path through your flesh. There are plenty of people who have survived direct lightning strikes.

The only danger while shielded would be the knock back from the shockwave, which could cause deafness and maybe a concussion if your helmet isn't padded.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-02-09 at 03:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, the force spells (AB, Sbolt, Smite, etc.) for shadow and all that also just struck me as being like physical force or force blades. The dots are pretty self explanitory on what they do, especially when combined with the tooltip ictures
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Very, very, very little hurts like fire.

Since I'm a destruction warlock I'm going with fire. Nothing burns so beautiful under my flame!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Since I'm a destruction warlock I'm going with fire. Nothing burns so beautiful under my flame!
    Shouldn't Chaos Bolt do chaos damage instead of shadow damage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't Chaos Bolt do chaos damage instead of shadow damage?
    Is chaos even a magic type? What would it feel like? Depression and helplessness?

Deleted
    Is chaos even a magic type? What would it feel like? Depression and helplessness?
    It's all 7 damage types combined.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Chaos_%28spell_school%29

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't imagine anything worse than being on fire, tbh.
    Look! Words!

Shadow
    nature
    fire

Shadow and fire, fire spells, and corruption, just seems really nasty. Nature got Lightning and poisons that hurts like hell aswell.

IMO.
    arcane frost and holy isnt even close. I mean, sure, frost hurts like hell for maybe 5 minutes, but once your body goes numb it's not that bad.
    Holy and arcane.. eh, healing magic and ...magic, magic.
    I've no idea what to write here.

umm, either starfall or starfire...something falling from the sky onto your head...and then setting you on fire lol.