Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why does society hate on world of warcraft?

Im sure this a general topic but why does society literally hate on this game. Im watching guy code (my favorite show) and they literally described the game as "never leaving your house" etc, same with south park making the general assumption that the fan base is fat and other stereotyped things. I mean at one point i was that hate but try guy and loved it. Now im unsubbed but thats a different story.

Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    Last edited by flaggel; 2013-02-09 at 01:56 PM.

because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.

Deleted
    its cool to be a wow hater atm, so people be hating

Deleted
    Look, Guy Code is probably the biggest Troll program, they're all joking with 99% of what they say. South Park has joked with every single thing on this world so far, so why aren't they allowed to joke with WoW?
    - What bothers me are people who generalize the people who play this game, because we aren't all fat and have no lives outside this game, and if you are fat and don't have alot of friends, so what? YOU choose to sit in and play, it's your way to live your life as of right now.
    - To hell with all the ignorant wankers out there.

Deleted
    Anything that is successful has that kind of publicity.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because people hate/bash what they don't understand.

Wow hating, SWAG and YOLO are apparently just as popular as Justin Bieber.
    yet all the above tells me that the Maya Indians were right when they said the world was going to end in 2012...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's generally become more accepted as the age of technology's improved. People just don't like it these days because of the hole the game's fallen down, and being unable to get out of it due to incompetent game designers.

Meh I've never personally been frowned upon for playing WoW or any game really, maybe its more accepted around where I live.
    Also did you know Blizzard themselves did all the artwork for that south park episode, and its actually a joke?

anyway I dont think its society as a whole, just some people here and there that jump to conclusions. you never hear the ones that dont give a fuck

People are pretty dumb like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jelly people are jelly.

Deleted
    If you think the SouthPark episode conludes anything hatefull towards the game, then you really miss the point of that episode. Note: I don't mean you miss the point OP, but you included it as an example of hatred against the game.
    Like someone already said: Blizzard itself made all the animations etc. for that episode, and they would probably not've done that if it was a backstab towards themself.

Quote Originally Posted by sadie View Post
    If you think the SouthPark episode conludes anything hatefull towards the game, then you really miss the point of that episode. Note: I don't mean you miss the point OP, but you included it as an example of hatred against the game.
    Like someone already said: Blizzard itself made all the animations etc. for that episode, and they would probably not've done that if it was a backstab towards themself.
    very true, also Matt Stone and Trey Parker are avid players themselves busting out all the fun facts today

Society hates introverts and introvert-involved activities in general.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    Pretty much this.
    Well, you can gain some skills by playing WoW, but with the amount of time you spend in it they become very insignificant. You simply could gain the same skills through other means faster and better.
    As for stereotypes?...Well they are...stereotypes. Although often these stereotypes are proven right, WoW is a mainstream game that has a large playerbase of many different backgrounds.

Because people dont understand how can you pay monthly for a game you enjoy, while they are spending same amount of money in a single night which they wont even remember next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakushi View Post
    very true, also Matt Stone and Trey Parker are avid players themselves busting out all the fun facts today
    I remember when that episode came out, alot of wow players were complaining about all the things they got wrong about the game. Im sure they did on purpose just to mess with the wow players.

Why does society love Farmville ?

Because people dont understand how can you pay monthly for a game you enjoy, while they are spending same amount of money in a single night which they wont even remember next day.
    I have some friends that would very much like to know where they can go to spend $15 dollars in one night and get so smashed they wouldn't remember the next day...

Deleted
    People hate what and fear what they do not understand, it's also because there has been people that spends all their time playing online multiplayer games and neglecting everything else in their lifes because of addiction in news stories over the years. That is not a case unique to WoW or gaming but people bash, fear and create false stereotypes in their minds of what they know nothing of in general, that's just how humans work.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2013-02-09 at 02:18 PM.