Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahaha, I love it!!
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Haven't heard any general hate on wow? Dunno where OP has this from.

I mean, all people dislike nerd's who lives inn there basement playing video games (Like me!), surely its not so much the game only?

I personally coulden't care less.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Partying is pretty normal. It is important to develop social skills. You don't have to use drugs and alcohol in excess, or even at all, in order to party and socialize.

But if you spend all of your 20s hiding behind a computer screen, what do you think your 30s and 40s are going to look like? What do you hope to do with your life, and how might a lack of social skills impede your progress? This is important stuff to think about in your 20s. What kind of person are you turning yourself into?
    I hope you are jokeing. So its better for this person to enter a party with 20ish people who are drunk, doing X and smoking pot, because he "needs to learn how to be social"? First of all, when he have these friends, im sure he already "learned" to be social, but he simply finds playing WoW(games) more fun than go out.
    As for myself, from i was 15-20ish i was out several days a week, smoking weed atleast 3 times aday, doing cocain in the weekends, and on occasions i did "mushrooms", and i started playing WoW when i was 16-17y old. When i was around 20, i found it more fun playing WoW than to get wasted or high. Now im 24 live by myself countrys away from my familiy and friends, and study archaeology at the university here. So 4 years drug free, i do drink alchohol, but only a beer for dinner, or a drink now and then. And i still play wow, you see.. In my eyes, WoW is the thing that got me away from all the shit, without WoW, i would prob be in jail now for drugs and other things.
    So sitting inside playing WoW, doing something that is fun (for me), made me quit drugs, made me stop being an idiot, made me stop being insane, and it got me to move away and study at the university. Oh and when i go home for christmas, my friends (my old friends), they are now still the same, criminals etc. I went out with them this christmas, and tbh i felt like the only "grown up" in there. So i left.

TLDR: Xeonde, you are not lame for playing wow over going out to get wasted etc, and going out with those friends is not good for you either. If anyone is lame, its them.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Society hates introverts and introvert-involved activities in general.
    But WoW requires social interaction to access huge chunk of the content.
    $15/month for some real, engaging entertainment

I spend that much every month watching movies but I get more enjoyment from WoW. I'd rather play WoW than watch the drivel they put on television and try to pass off as entertainment. Obnoxious bourgeois pigs showing how frivolous they are with their trust fund money and random tossers trying to sing and dance on TV is about as far from entertaining as it gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    But WoW requires social interaction to access huge chunk of the content.
    $15/month for some real, engaging entertainment

I spend that much every month watching movies but I get more enjoyment from WoW. I'd rather play WoW than watch the drivel they put on television and try to pass off as entertainment. Obnoxious bourgeois pigs showing how frivolous they are with their trust fund money and random tossers trying to sing and dance on TV is about as far from entertaining as it gets.
    Not to mention that with two monitors you can do both at the same time.

Yeah, I watch Ghibli movies while I raid. So sue me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    most people just dont understand the amt of time people put into the game and when they find out they cant fathom it!

we dont all start out hardcore, it slowly eats away at you until it devours you, right?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    So improved creativity, co-operation, language communication skills and relaxation is not benificial in any way IRL? Ok thanks for the heads up.
    Improved creativity. Maybe for a few individuals. Not for the majority of the population. Just look at the character names alone. Or how everyone copies what everyone else does when it comes to talents, gear, gems, enchants, etc. Yes, it is expected this way, but Blizzard clearly has stated that they want people to play their own way. They don't like "cookie cutter" builds. That's why the talent system is the way it is. Yet there is still an expectation. If you don't do as expected, you don't play with the big boys.

Cooperation. This used to be true. People cooperated in dungeons and raids. Now everything is a timed event. Tanks pull when healers aren't ready. DPS pulls when the tanks aren't ready. I could go on, but everyone knows what I'm talking about here.

Language, communication skills. For some, again, this may be true. Yet again, though, not for the majority of the population. Watch the bad spelling and rude attitudes of people in places like trade chat. It is an absolute cesspool of idiocy.

Relaxation is subjective. I find it relaxing to not be bombarded by idiocy. So I quit playing. Because that's what you do with cancer. You cut it out. Or burn it out. Either way, it's gone.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Because the playerbase is generally rude, unkind people due to internet anonymity, ask any troll why they think it's okay to do what they do, and if they give you a straight answer it's almost always 'because I can'
    Twas brillig

Well I have seen a lot of people who can't handle both. If I were a non-gamer, and i heard about people not sleeping because they want to be up all night and day playing a game due to achievements, realm firsts, etc. I would be a bit weary on what kind of people play (since majority of the news makes it sound like it's a game intended for the hardcore). And given its nickname of World of Warcrack it's easy to understand how most of society frowns on a game like that. We know not everyone is like that that plays the game and that there are plenty of normal people out there that dedicate a few hours a week to the game and that's that. I did however know a guy in my old guild who used to wake up, smoke weed, eat, go to bed, wake up, smoke more weed, all while playing WoW (except the sleeping bit though he did leave his game open until it auto logged him out). He would decline any job he was offered and was basically mooching off of his best friend for support. A person like that is just sad.

I also knew a lady very similar. She was well over her 40's and a mother. Her day to day routine was wake up, get on WoW, go to work, come home to get back on WoW (eating every single meal at her computer) and maybe sleep a little bit before work. The only way this was any better was the fact that she at the very least had a job. But the sad thing is when your entire day revolves around WoW it's just sad. And when a person who doesn't play the game asks, "So what are your plans for this weekend?" and you respond with playing World of Warcraft...and that's the same answer you give them when they ask what are your plans for the night...well it's easy to see how people think that people who play WoW are no life losers.

It's not even about the monthly fees or any of that, but rather the people that they know that play the game are either just too absorbed into it to care about anything else, or the stories they hear on tv about kids who die playing or kids who go from being successful in school to failing because they get so absorbed in the game. To some people WoW is as bad as drugs because they can't stop. They get so addicted that it becomes the most important thing in their lives. And I understand how because some people get on the game, make a lot of friends, have skill and are looked at as the greatest person on their server or in their guild when in real life they are just your everyday guy with a boss that gets yelled at and treated like dirt from the people around them. Who wants real life when your real life sucks?

If someone wants to play WoW all night and day that's their business...it's no worse than people who have any other hobby in the world. But when people start neglecting real life priorities that it becomes a problem. And priorities vary from person to person, but a game should never supersede the real life stuff you need to do because it won't be around forever and eventually people will get bored of it. Just a simple fact of life. And that's what the people who don't play know. When someone tells them the only thing they care about is WoW the first thought people will have is, yea it's a game that's been around a while...all the more reason to maybe not put all your eggs in the WoW basket and focus on other things. I have a feeling some of the people who spend so much time on WoW will regret it one day because of the other things in life they missed out on. As good as WoW can be, there are a lot of other really good things out there.

The real question needs to be why do so many WoW players get so defensive whenever anyone questions what they are doing with their time? My husband and I used to play a lot during the week, but we would still go out and do stuff when offered. It's one thing to have a commitment for maybe a couple of nights to raid or pvp or whatever else you want to do...but to spend every single moment of your day on there is really scary to see someone do. And it's not healthy. That's why people get concerned...and many are not willing to even try the game because they might fear if they have an addictive personality (especially to games) they will neglect important things in their lives for it.

Most of this doesn't apply to teens as much, and only a little bit to college students...but when it comes to a grown person and all they care about is WoW still it's a little sad to see. WoW should be a good way to pass the time when you are bored, have nothing else to do, or just wanna blow off some steam in a game. But WoW should not be your life (unless of course you are getting paid to play, then have at it!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by felhunter View Post
    its cool to be a wow hater atm, so people be hating
    Agreed! I actually as well - before I started WoW - I have always been a BIIIG time gamer - into the latest of late.

I used to make fun of WoW "in general" , BUT - After playing it the last bunch of years (over 5) - I have to say: I love it!

Let the h8'rs h8 babi

You have to play Wow in order to understand why people play it. Otherwise, people just want to hate on it because people tend to hate things they don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    those two shows do not represent society in any way what so ever and who cares what they think. if you enjoy playing a game then play it, you have millions of gamers behind you and all love games and a lot love wow.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Because the playerbase is generally rude, unkind people due to internet anonymity, ask any troll why they think it's okay to do what they do, and if they give you a straight answer it's almost always 'because I can'
    you are so right

15+ Year Old Account
    Because you hear about it in the news when a WoW-player kills people. It's because of the game they're so agressive. Therefore, people can only hate WoW-players unless they play themselves.

Also, people put photos on the internet where nerds play WoW (or something that looks like WoW and name it WoW). You can only be cool if you hate on nerds. So people hate on nerds and on the games they play. As people only see pictures where WoW is played by nerds, people assume WoW is a nerd-game.

Another one: It looks so much better than their CoD.

And last: They don't understand the game and therefore hate it. All people who play(ed) it don't hate the game, but only hate it that they didn't get out of it what they wanted without working for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    I couldn't have said it better. So what if some guy wants to spend the majority of his time playing wow? He isn't gonna be out shooting up schools, or raping up kids (we have the Catholic church for that) or causing trouble at all.

Had you druther he cook up meth?
    laughed "we have Catholic church for that"

Because it's a stereotype. And media loooooooves stereotypes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eadoin View Post
    Because people hate/bash what they don't understand.
    Pretty much this. There's so many different reasons. Those people hate WoW because they are the kind of people who never play video games at all and thinks whoever plays it has no life and will never accomplish anything with their lives. They think that if you're not out with 50+ friends at a party and getting high and drunk and having sex with girls all the time you will never amount to anything and you simply have no life.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-02-09 at 06:14 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I heard that most hate come from the monthly sub. Think I'm wrong trough

10+ Year Old Account
    This may sound corny to people, but I led a 10 man guild for a good year and a half, having fun and developing a sort of cocky attitude in game... this lead to confidence transferring into my outside world and good things followed

Because of work I don't have the time to play outside of raiding, I can only give my guild 9 hours a week, but in that 9 hours I have fun and let off stress

People are very negative, and if they find out you have something you enjoy doing, they will generally be jealous and be negative about it to make themselves feel better.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Subjective opinion is subjective. It is the most objectively successful, however.
    Being 17 bil in dept is hardly successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because hugely successful things are always the primary targets of anyone who wants to poke fun at popular culture through stereotyping, etc. They become symbols. If some other game had become more firmly placed in the culture than WoW then the jokes--primarily pointed at the entire genre--would be about that.

Otherwise, people wouldn't understand the joke. If you want to make jokes about the video game industry in particular, then you need a game that people who don't game will recognize. You could substitute Skyrim, as an example, for World of Warcraft but no one outside of gaming would then understand what you were talking about.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."