Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    I would not say that. Video Games are beneficial in a lot of ways.

Being 17 bil in dept is hardly successful.
    Can you show us how Blizzard is $17billion in debt?

Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    I would not say that. Video Games are beneficial in a lot of ways.
    Exactly. And tons of research to support it.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...1%2C5&as_sdtp=

If someone shuns you for playing games, remind him how much time this person is wasting on worthless TV shows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Can you show us how Blizzard is $17billion in debt?
    I meant the USA, and its actually 17 trillion.

Deleted
    People will take any opportunity to boost their own self esteem by bashing others'.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    How is it not beneficial? I for one, have more confidence in my abilities in real life thanks to WoW. I'm more analytical by nature because of WoW. I understand people a little better, because of WoW. See where this is going?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Society hates introverts and introvert-involved activities in general.
    Agreed, one of the reasons society sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is one of the most popular games on the planet, So like LoL & CoD people hate on it, cause apprently its cool to hate on successful games. No matter how old they are.

People just wanna follow the crowd and never do there own thing, If a new game comes out everyone plays it and if its not successful they just ditch it and hate on the game aswell. There alot of other good MMOs out there, but cause they didn't dethrone the WoW. Those other games get shit on by the ones who were originally supporting them.

When a game is as big as WoW or LoL or CoD you will always have does kind of people.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-02-10 at 02:08 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Out-of-game hate is nothing compared to the in-game hate.

It really comes down to people hating things they don't understand/do in general. Ask some WoW players why they hate on people with other more obscure hobbies (anime/mlp) and it will be the same answer too. Does that make them hypocrites? It does in my eyes, but it's just people being people in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelicat View Post
    Ask some WoW players why they hate on people with other more obscure hobbies (anime/mlp)
    I dont hate them because they exist, I hate them because they are obnoxious.

Also lol at "more obscure hobbies".

I think this comes down to humanity as a whole being selfish (or if that's a bit harsh, at least self-oriented). People's judgement of you is measured in what you provide or potentially provide to them. I'd say sports stars more or less work in the entertainment industry, since what they're doing isn't of itself productive, but it's a spectacle to be watched. People see that path as "worthwhile" because they provide entertainment for others. The average person though looks at a gamer and thinks "what you're doing doesn't provide me with anything at all" and is therefore worthless. Well, what we do entertains *us*, it has a worth to *us*, but that's not good enough for them. They want to know what the value is FOR THEM.

Funnily enough, I'm not even sure where these standards stop and start. Even if you have a well paying job and you're "contributing to society" and paying your own way, if you're using your leisure time to play WoW, that's looked down upon. It's not even a question of what your career is, your own private leisure time has to contribute to the social whole as well, it would seem.

I meant the USA, and its actually 17 trillion.
    In a conversation about Wow being popular and successful, how did you go from that to talking about the amount of debt the US has?

The two are completely unrelated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    WoW takes a lot more time than most games. Even just flying from zone to zone or doing a few quests takes AGES compared to other games, let's not even get started on raiding.

Yeah, plenty of people can play this game responsibly. But at the core, the design of this game doesn't favor a social life.

People out there are just idiots.They hate on people that play WoW because they have no clue how fun it is. They're like "$15 a month just to play?No thank You". Little do they realize that to play you spend 180, could be cheaper if you paid 12 months at once and not month by month. $180 a year + the usual Xpansion every 2 years (might be faster now), so 400 bucks for 2 years.That's only 6 Console games (Since most of "cool" players play CoD, BF and GoW and so on, on console). The thing is, you cannot pay for fun that'll last for 2 years elsewhere.

Because they know that in a decade noone will watch their idiotic TV shows.
    What impresses me most, is that kind of feeling that in 21st century every god damn person thinks he has rights to judge any activity in the world. Why the fuck do they care if people are playing computer games? Who the fuck they think they are to make fun of any different to them group of people? Idiotic hypocrites.

Sitting around all day eating and playing a game makes you a loser.

Sitting around all day eating and watching a sports game is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    Im sure this a general topic but why does society literally hate on this game. Im watching guy code (my favorite show) and they literally described the game as "never leaving your house" etc, same with south park making the general assumption that the fan base is fat and other stereotyped things. I mean at one point i was that hate but try guy and loved it. Now im unsubbed but thats a different story.

Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    If society hated on this game, why did a sample of that society elect a politician that plays it despite the fact that the opposing campaign ad was attempting to use it against her?

Deleted
    I don't think society "hates" on WoW. One assumption seems to be that people spending a lot of time on the game are physically, mentally and socially in worse shape than people who don't. Society might be right. Until there is thorough, broadly accepted research, we won't know.

Deleted
    I don't think it's ''cool'' to hate WoW, I think it's the wrong way of putting it, really.

I myself don't play WoW anymore, but basically, anything that becomes big will both have people who dislike it, or like it, simple as that. Obama is not hated by everyone but he's not loved either. Some people say Final Fantasy is a masterpiece, some people say it's total garbage, you get the deal.

I think it's pretty much about the taste.