Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's not just a WoW thing. If you have a strong interest in anything that isn't sports, you'll be made fun of by someone. Even people who are "overly into" sports are seen as a bit weird. The kicker is that everyone has something "weird" about them, and most people are just trying desperately to pass themselves off as normal.

Anyone who makes fun of you for something you enjoy is just insecure about their own life, and is best ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgoni...ter_world.html
    N

Ive realized the people that hate wow either cant afford it, or have never played it.

I don't know. Personally I much prefer it to inane and brainless activities that society has no problems with, like watching sports for example.

Or reality TV.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Probably because of behaviour like this

10+ Year Old Account
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    That sounds like every hobby.

Most people don't make money off of their projects/art/etc.

@ the OP: Most people think WoW players are 500lb mouthbreathers. I myself am a 5'2" female, married, have a puppy, and own a house. I assume it's just "haters gonna hate" in all honesty.

As with anything else, it's more interesting when stories are embellished. Instead of, "Oh he didn't leave the house for 6 hours playing that game," it becomes "He didn't leave the house for 6 days playing that game non-stop!"

And then when stories surface about parents neglecting their own child to the point of death over playing a game and people literally dropping dead in their internet cafe chairs, AKA the lowest point in any gamers' life or pretty much the worst case scenario of what can happen -- unfortunately this negative stigma gets attributed to all gamers across the board.

Because thats generally the types of users MMOs attract.

Fat/Skinny, lazy, unhealthy, caffeine addled, neckbearded, sperglords, living off welfare or their parents, who sit around in the basement playing WoW 24/7. They also tend to become vicious assholes with self entitlement issues and a superiority complex

Quote Originally Posted by Borfl View Post
    Because thats generally the types of users MMOs attract.

Fat/Skinny, lazy, unhealthy, caffeine addled, neckbearded, sperglords, living off welfare or their parents, who sit around in the basement playing WoW 24/7. They also tend to become vicious assholes with self entitlement issues and a superiority complex
    It's because of posters like this.

I think you have just described common misconception about gamers. Average gamer nowdays is 30+ years old, with family and kids. Statistics.

10+ Year Old Account
    This pretty much sums it up.

Games like Call of Duty and Halo are more accepted because you can spend 30 minutes to an hour and get as much done in those games as you could in 3 hours in WoW.
    (EDIT: They are also generally played on consoles, it's not out of the norm for a guy to own an Xbox 360/PS3. But it is out of the norm for someone to own a $1500 gaming computer with a bunch of razer gear, etc.)

Another thing that I think people overlook on this subject is that mainstream society has pretty much moved away from desktop computers. The only desktops you really see is in workplaces or school. Most people for their personal computer own a laptop, and generally cheap ones that aren't fit for gaming. I don't have any data to back up this statement, but I'm sure if you asked people what they thought of WoW players they'd probably mention a desktop rather than a laptop.

That one episode of South Park actually did a lot of damage too. It's just the way it is unfortunately.
    Call me House.

If you put effort into the right places you are benefited. I can say I've gained leadership experience and was able to stay competitive after I was injured playing sports. It's good for social interaction, and when you raid endgame when there aren't 394208420 kill videos and how tos it's just like solving a puzzle.

a) People play casually, an hour or two a day here and there, nothing wrong with that, they come home from work they want to chill or do a bg with some friends, all good.

b) Some people put A LOT of time into the game and alls they can say is look at all these cool mounts i have, THAT is not beneficial.

c) I don't PvP at a competitive level so I'll leave that out, though I'm sure there are some beneficial areas to doing that, but as a endgame PvE raider, leadership experience, and problem solving skills all have evolved from playing this game at an endgame level.

Klap's response to the discussion I feel is the general mindset people have looking at the game, so to answer your question, Klaps.

It does? I barely ever hear about WoW "out in the world" *shrugs*
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Pretty much this. ^

Given the ever increasing sedentary lifestyle people have, it's no wonder games like wow are in general looked down on.

I'm sure there are some outliers in that bellcurve but overall, I can see why people look down on games like wow.

And watching sports, celebrity gossip, and whatever a "snookie" is is very beneficial? Because nobody hates on that.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

because it should

Deleted
    Because of hype.

WoW is nothing special compared to other games, but it's overhyped.
    Last edited by mmoc8f3b353ca4; 2013-02-11 at 01:43 PM.

Deleted
    Because the only cool way to be a vapid waste of human flesh is to get drunk. fuck around and have to pay child support.

I think it has to do with some players; honestly the attitude one encounters sometimes....... it's really sad.
    These just create a bad image of wow-players in general.

I read sometimes things as:
    OMG maintenance will take 2 hours longer... what am I going to do? I mean, seriously....
    It seems that without wow, some people can't even fill 1 minute of their lives.

I don't know, but just reading some comments or remarks make me think that these players (how few or many there are) have nothing else to do in their lives.
    So the perception from people who don't play games or don't play mmo's or wow could be a bit different that they would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    Im sure this a general topic but why does society literally hate on this game. Im watching guy code (my favorite show) and they literally described the game as "never leaving your house" etc, same with south park making the general assumption that the fan base is fat and other stereotyped things. I mean at one point i was that hate but try guy and loved it. Now im unsubbed but thats a different story.

Now my question is: why does society hate this game so much and where could all of this originated?
    Because it is perceived as a computer-based drug addiction that does a lot of harm, with no net redeeming benefits to individuals or society?