Deleted

Archer Game Concept - Looking for members.

Hey guys!

Prologue
    My name is Tom and I am a complete enthusiast of games and I plan on getting into the games industry (as a games designer). I am English but living in Sweden so I am currently studying Swedish so I can go to college and focus on my dream. Games have influenced my life for the better for years and I hope someday I can give back just a fraction of what games have given me in the past.
    Getting a job in the game industry is all about what you can show and working on a project is just about the best way to do it. I started working on a couple of ideas, one of which that has progressed a nice amount and I would love to find people that would like to work on this concept with me.
    There are thousands of people on these forums, some that aren't in their desired career yet but have a ton of skill and a passion for games. I am looking for just a couple of people like this who would love to have some fun working on a project and bringing it out of the head, onto paper and eventually into real life.
    This post is not just to find people, but to motivate me to complete my concept and to get the ball rolling. Hopefully posting this will not only generate interest from people wanting to assist on the project but will also give me a boost to work harder.

What is it?
    The game will be a 3rd Person Shooter (Archery) medieval style RPG with a high focus on story and world design. The current plan is to have a linier story with an open world (similar to the GTA series as far as story telling goes). I am toying with the idea of it being fantasy or not - it will potentially make gameplay more fun having more unique opponents - but I want the game to keep a 'real' and grounded feeling (similar to lord of the rings). Less glowing lights and flashy magic - more myth and 'power' feel. The game will have crafting and survival elements.

RPG games usually have no effect on the characters physical appearance and while the character gains experience and levels up, this has no effect on the visual of the character. In this game I would like the character to grow with the character - it is only natural that you will grow as a person as you grow in power and strength, this will tie in heavily with the story of the game.

The protagonist (the playable character) is the daughter of the king of the realm. Her mother died shortly after she was born and regretfully has only her father left and has a huge attachment to him. She is young and being royalty she is a bit innocent/naive (but being young, who can blame her). She is happy and content with the life that she lives and has no idea about the events that are about to occur.

I am still working on the story 'trigger' and is very much incomplete. The idea is that 'an event' happens which drives the protagonist out of her safe and comforting walls and sends her into the wild - alone and scared. I am playing with the idea of corruption in mind; With the death of her mother opposing forces found the family weak and venerable and begin to infiltrate the house. 14-16 Years later (start of the game) they have people throughout and start to squeeze, their first target being the protagonist. Either way the King is left in control but incredibly venerable and she is forced to leave the castle so she can help her father in every way possible. The story will find her travelling throughout the world and even back into the castle walls undercover. Her survival skills are low but by the time she leaves the castle she is highly skilled at archery and uses that to her advantage. Possible a 'breadcrumb' story, where she finds someone that leads her to someone higher up etc and gradually she finds the head of the infiltration.

During the prologue of the game the game starts with the player in control of the young protagonist (10-12 or there abouts), this will be the introduction to the game and the start of the story. You will see your father and the world around you while learning the controls and the role of the player, most importantly for the introduction you will see how great and powerful your father is and what he owns.
    From a young age she has always had an interest archery and having trained, skillful soldiers around her she picks up a lot. What starts off as a curiosity and a bit of fun soon turns into a passion. Missions will send you throughout the castle meeting characters and people of interest and multiple times you will see the characters in the range, constantly practicing and honing her skills. While she is practicing and learning from the soldiers the character will be in the hot seat and learning how to control the game.
    As the prologue continues she will start to grow up throughout the intro and will end up around 15-18 when the 'trigger' occurs.

I said above I wanted the game to have a 'real' feel to it, this would go from animations all the way down to sounds and style. I have a vision in my head of this 17 year old girl alone in a forest, just her and her bow. The wind is quite strong and you can hear the leaves rustling and moving. You see the sun beaming down through the gaps in the leaves, shining down on the rocks and dirt below your feet. I want to hear the sound of the floor as she moves over the terrain. More importantly the sound of the arrow coming out of the quiver and being drawn by the bow - then the sudden rush as it is released.
    You are alone, but you have to succeed.

Who am I looking for?
    I am looking for passionate and skillful people who wish to grow this concept with me. I cannot offer pay, I understand that is a deal breaker for some, but I am not necessarily looking for people who are going to put all of their time into it. Even people who are bored and want to sketch a couple of pictures for fun to see where their imaginations take them. The first step I would like to take is to find someone who could work with me to produce some art concepts to get some visuals of the protagonist and start designing the world and more story. Right now the game is very much in the planning phase, but visuals go a long way to help with the creation of a story.
    This stuff is really fun for me and I know a lot of people feel the same way, so I am hoping to find people who want to have some fun working on a concept and helping it move forward into the Stage 2 and 3.

Please contact me either via PM or in the thread below if you are interested.

Stage one (Current)- Planning stage
    Currently looking for artists who would like to work with me in the conceptional work.

-Story
    • The story needs a lot of work but this is early days and it is being worked on. Being a story driven game the story will be the most important part. I intend to work on this a lot and bring new ideas to the table.

-Art
    • Protagonist concepts - I specifically left the protagonists description vague, I was hoping that people would give me their own feelings on how she would look, which would in turn give a broader spectrum of ideas. I have my own ideas but I don't want to taint yours, so to speak.
    • Style concepts - World design, Character, Armour etc.

-Gameplay
    • I have loads of ideas written down, more than I can post on this forum (and more than I would want to). If people come forward and show their interest I will go everything with them in private.

-Engine
    • I plan on utilizing the Unreal Engine.

Stage two - Proof of concept
    Stage three - Production

Thanks you reading it all if you did. I hope you find interest and would like to work with me on this project. I will be updating this post with pictures and ideas as I go.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-02-09 at 07:29 PM.

Deleted
    sounds good, wish i could help but i have no applicable skills for this D:

good luck finding people

Hi!
    I've moved you over to the Video Games Discussion section of the forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Hi!
    I've moved you over to the Video Games Discussion section of the forum.
    Probably for the best, wasn't sure which. Thanks for moving

This looks like a 2-3 years of full time work by a team of 10-12 people. Good luck though.

A tip is to not write the story first. Write the game design and then find a story that fit the gameplay and all the features you want in the game. Also, the key word in game design is Iteration. Dont spend too much time stuck on something. Make a working concept and then iterate it 3-4-5-6-7 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds really cool. I hope that you get some folks to help out. Seems like this would be the right place.

I have no applicable skills unfortunately.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    This looks like a 2-3 years of full time work by a team of 10-12 people. Good luck though.

A tip is to not write the story first. Write the game design and then find a story that fit the gameplay and all the features you want in the game. Also, the key word in game design is Iteration. Dont spend too much time stuck on something. Make a working concept and then iterate it 3-4-5-6-7 times.
    Different methods, personally I like the starting story so I can get inside the character and get a feel of what the game is going to be about. That being said, I though of the gameplay well before I started thinking of a story. In RPG's the story is just as important as gameplay.

I plan on working on this for a while. Thanks for the tips, I do not plan on just creating anything and sticking with it though - I am a perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Different methods, personally I like the starting story so I can get inside the character and get a feel of what the game is going to be about. That being said, I though of the gameplay well before I started thinking of a story. In RPG's the story is just as important as gameplay.

I plan on working on this for a while. Thanks for the tips, I do not plan on just creating anything and sticking with it though - I am a perfectionist.
    The thing about starting with the story first is that it takes a lot of time (and is usually not done by the game designer). If you plan on completing the story then do it 100% before you get the people that want to work on your project in on it. And since you dont have a team at the moment, now is the perfect time for you to write it. Otherwise while you write the story the rest of the team would be sitting on their asses doing nothing and that is very costly.

If you want to be a game designer then NEVER try to keep the game design a democracy. It doesnt work. The programmers will yell at you and the artists will stare at you and not knowing what to do because artists are lesser humans.

You should also try out UDK and learn the basics of scripting. I love working with game designer who know how coding works, its a huge difference.

Its too bad that the first thing you learn when studying game design / programming / art is to never work for free.

Deleted
    If you needed a writer once the project is up and going I'd be happy to help out - but I think most projects put work into the design, programming and graphics side of things before actually bringing writers on board. Writing is usually the part that's covered by someone who's already worked on some of the design or art aspects anyway, I don't think many studios even hire entirely seperate writers anymore because it's not considered to be one of the priorities. It's the only thing I can help with though... if you get a team together and get some framework up I'd be happy to put some time into fleshing out some of the written aspects though

Deleted
    I don't think many studios even hire entirely seperate writers anymore because it's not considered to be one of the priorities.
    Quite the reverse actually, writing used to be done by the programmers or designers in the past, as shown by the truly horrific dialogue in a lot of older games, but more recently the role of 'Writer' is taking prominence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    The thing about starting with the story first is that it takes a lot of time (and is usually not done by the game designer). If you plan on completing the story then do it 100% before you get the people that want to work on your project in on it. And since you dont have a team at the moment, now is the perfect time for you to write it. Otherwise while you write the story the rest of the team would be sitting on their asses doing nothing and that is very costly.

If you want to be a game designer then NEVER try to keep the game design a democracy. It doesnt work. The programmers will yell at you and the artists will stare at you and not knowing what to do because artists are lesser humans.

You should also try out UDK and learn the basics of scripting. I love working with game designer who know how coding works, its a huge difference.

Its too bad that the first thing you learn when studying game design / programming / art is to never work for free.
    Thanks for the tips once again buddy. That's exactly my idea, I don't have team but I have an idea - Nothing is going to happen unless I try and make it happen. Now that I don't have a team I am working on story and gameplay, developing that the best I can until I can continue the rest of the project.

EDIT: I've actually also already started working on UDK some, but I am still a complete amateur as far as that goes. I have don'e quite a lot of bsp level design though, just not on UDK.

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    If you needed a writer once the project is up and going I'd be happy to help out - but I think most projects put work into the design, programming and graphics side of things before actually bringing writers on board. Writing is usually the part that's covered by someone who's already worked on some of the design or art aspects anyway, I don't think many studios even hire entirely seperate writers anymore because it's not considered to be one of the priorities. It's the only thing I can help with though... if you get a team together and get some framework up I'd be happy to put some time into fleshing out some of the written aspects though
    Personally for me I want the story to be a BIG part of the game. Without a good story to get your teeth into there is no way you can become the character and believe you are in the world. I would love a writer to give some input basically because I don't think I would do it justice like a good writer would. I am just writing the ground work to get a base into the story so that later on it can be expanded on and taken to the next level when it needs to.

If you feel like the story is going somewhere and have some ideas, I would love to hear them - that would be incredible.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-02-09 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    clampy i've sent a PM