Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[5.2] Spec to play during 5.2

What do you guys think will be viable with the introduction of the ilvl 522 gear in normal ToT?

Will we finally have enough crit where fire will win out because we can essentially make up for the critical mass nerf by just getting an over abundance of crit towards the end of the tier?

Will arcane still prevail despite the removal of the 6 charge camping

List your suggestions please

Also, please take into perspective the encounters that Throne of Thunder will bring. And how the different mage specializations are favored in these encounters.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback and opinions.

Deleted
    We'll be able to know when the changes will be stabilized.

You can't possibly expect to know which spec will perform better if the changes aren't even finalized yet, everything is changing from one day to another.. :/.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the Invocation and RoP changes go live, I may actually have to give up Arcane. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Frost, and the freezing tears of crying arcane babbies will be like a cosy blanket for me at night.

Even in the current PTR state frost is the most mobile and versatile spec. After they fixed scorch abusing and the new invo abusing for arcane it won't be that attractive anymore because it won't be that far off the other specs. Maybe then theorycrafters and the sheeple that follow them will notice the other viable spec in the mage trees.

Not sure where fire stands right now on the PTR, but it should be better with better gear, less RNG et cetera.

Given how many fluctuations the class has seen so far this expac, I don't think anyone could really guess what will/won't be viable. Especially when you look at 5.1, and the fire nerf that occurred AFTER 5.1 went live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuurlol View Post
    Frost, and the freezing tears of crying arcane babbies will be like a cosy blanket for me at night.

Even in the current PTR state frost is the most mobile and versatile spec. After they fixed scorch abusing and the new invo abusing for arcane it won't be that attractive anymore because it won't be that far off the other specs. Maybe then theorycrafters and the sheeple that follow them will notice the other viable spec in the mage trees.

Not sure where fire stands right now on the PTR, but it should be better with better gear, less RNG et cetera.
    I play Arcane because I like it visually, and also hate the Water Elemental. Cease your foolishness.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted

You know that right now, even on the PTR, arcane is almost as mobile as frost (cause of haste/invo and invo being so fast to channel) and still performs better than on live right ? So the gap between frost and arcane is worse on PTR than on live.

Why would you even want one specific spec of your OWN class to be nerfed is beyond my comprehension...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moohorn View Post
    Given how many fluctuations the class has seen so far this expac, I don't think anyone could really guess what will/won't be viable. Especially when you look at 5.1, and the fire nerf that occurred AFTER 5.1 went live.
    Judging by the gear from ToT alone, Fire will be the best scaling this tier. However, I can't speak for hotfixes after the patch hits.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Swizzle-I View Post
    Judging by the gear from ToT alone, Fire will be the best scaling this tier. However, I can't speak for hotfixes after the patch hits.
    Swizzle, teach me how to Frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Why would you even want one specific spec of your OWN class to be nerfed is beyond my comprehension...
    Not sure where you got that from, but my point was arcane is broken on live at this time and a reason for every mage to just jump the arcane bandwagon.

You know that right now, even on the PTR, arcane is almost as mobile as frost (cause of haste/invo and invo being so fast to channel) and still performs better than on live right ?
    Between FoF and BF and the new Ice Floes for Frost and new invo + new ice floes for arcane you don't need to try very hard to guess which is the spec that has more mobility.
    Last edited by mmoc9a9bb8bf6a; 2013-02-09 at 08:21 PM.

Deleted
    Not sure where you got that from, but my point was arcane is broken on live at this time and a reason for every mage to just jump the arcane bandwagon.

Between FoF and BF and the new Ice Floes for Frost and new invo + new ice floes for arcane you don't need to try very hard to guess which is the spec that has more mobility.
    Well yeah short invo + icy floes will certainly be the choices for arcane too, making it very mobile. Even with RoP, only a bad mage would loose a lot of dps in this tier, its not like you had to have high mobility at all, it was much more of a QoL issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah short invo + icy floes will certainly be the choices for arcane too, making it very mobile. Even with RoP, only a bad mage would loose a lot of dps in this tier, its not like you had to have high mobility at all, it was much more of a QoL issue.
    You can already use arcane with invocation on live. The difference between frost and arcane it still just BF and FoF.

I'm finding the heal from the new invocation more useful than anything. Pity they're going to probably change it.

The new ice floes is so much better now they changed the command queueing thing. I can actually get two frostbolts off now and I'm not always wasting the first charge.

Also frost's mobility is going down a bit because of the freeze change. I found the lack of the extra FoF charge while moving quite noticable on the first boss in the ToT lfr.
    Last edited by jtmzac; 2013-02-09 at 09:01 PM.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reforge View Post
    What do you guys think will be viable with the introduction of the ilvl 522 gear in normal ToT?

Will we finally have enough crit where fire will win out because we can essentially make up for the critical mass nerf by just getting an over abundance of crit towards the end of the tier?

Will arcane still prevail despite the removal of the 6 charge camping

List your suggestions please

Also, please take into perspective the encounters that Throne of Thunder will bring. And how the different mage specializations are favored in these encounters.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback and opinions.
    Just yesterday went back to Fire gems/forges for just lulz and I can honestly say at 495 ilvl equipped it feels smooth again. Approx 31% crit raid buffed (x1.3 with CM) its feeling pretty good. Looking at the new gear for next tier I'm quite excited for the prospect of getting the chance to quite possibly be fire all over again... Huzzah! That being said, it was not long ago we were all cheering for fire being awesome in an opening tier followed a few weeks later by a super buff, followed about 3 days later with a giant gutting of fire completely.

So, that being said I'm praying for fire but as for as for knowing which spec will be the "best" come next tier, knowing that is about as likely as knowing when my next Hot Streak is coming.

Go Fire Mage!

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    Just yesterday went back to Fire gems/forges for just lulz and I can honestly say at 495 ilvl equipped it feels smooth again. Approx 31% crit raid buffed (x1.3 with CM) its feeling pretty good. Looking at the new gear for next tier I'm quite excited for the prospect of getting the chance to quite possibly be fire all over again... Huzzah! That being said, it was not long ago we were all cheering for fire being awesome in an opening tier followed a few weeks later by a super buff, followed about 3 days later with a giant gutting of fire completely.

So, that being said I'm praying for fire but as for as for knowing which spec will be the "best" come next tier, knowing that is about as likely as knowing when my next Hot Streak is coming.

Go Fire Mage!
    Ye, after seeing the gear thats inc.. Am quite sure fire will be the way to go. The only thing I fear now is that blizz realises fire being a tiny tiny bit too low dps and ends up overbuffing it once again..

Not sure what this hassle is about nerfing scorch for arcane (/removing it), or the invocation. I personally only use scorch on extreme heavy movement fights, never rly liked the scorch-abuse. Invocation: I never used it, I do however love the fact we'll only have 4 stacks max and we won't be able to sit at max stacks so long anymore, also 4 stacks = more dmg than currently at 6 stacks, so our nuke (alter time) will be even higher, now only need to convince guild to sync mana cd's with my post alter time-nuke =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Ye, after seeing the gear thats inc.. Am quite sure fire will be the way to go. The only thing I fear now is that blizz realises fire being a tiny tiny bit too low dps and ends up overbuffing it once again..
    Lol well after Combustion nerf AND CM nerf (well... nerf then buff 1.25 to 1.3) I really don't see them being able to change much other than spell co-efficients and/or adding pyro back into combustions equation. Both of which I give basically a zero chance of happening.

Again though, looks as though fire is going to scale amazingly well as well as we get quite a few cleave fights in this next tier from the raiding videos I've seen from PTR.

I think as we come close to approaching 35-40% raid buffed crit fire is going to laugh at other mage specs as we always do toward the latter end of an xpac. I just think we are going to get to shine a bit earlier this time. RIP arcane, I will not miss you.
    (This is not a comment on if Arcane is viable, just my massive distaste for the spec )

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    Lol well after Combustion nerf AND CM nerf (well... nerf then buff 1.25 to 1.3) I really don't see them being able to change much other than spell co-efficients and/or adding pyro back into combustions equation. Both of which I give basically a zero chance of happening.

Again though, looks as though fire is going to scale amazingly well as well as we get quite a few cleave fights in this next tier from the raiding videos I've seen from PTR.

I think as we come close to approaching 35-40% raid buffed crit fire is going to laugh at other mage specs as we always do toward the latter end of an xpac. I just think we are going to get to shine a bit earlier this time. RIP arcane, I will not miss you.
    (This is not a comment on if Arcane is viable, just my massive distaste for the spec )
    The change would be to buff fireball damage.. which is really weak atm. I mean hell we spend over 60% of our active dps time atm casting fireball.. and still it does only ~30% damage after counting ignite. Yes, it deserves a buff, but is it likely to happen.. nope

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I do find that Pyro can even come out ahead of fireball on damage sometimes on fights with a few pro'd out alter times.

But the baseline issue with fire as always is that if they buff fireball dmg, it buffs ignite, which buffs combustion, which is a exponential dps increase rather than just a flat one. (Which is what we saw in 5.1 for like 2 weeks of amazing glory lol)
    Last edited by royals; 2013-02-09 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grammarical lapse of judgement

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the gear seems to be mastery heavy...

So, mastery-heavy fire builds...

Maybe blizzard will just take crit away from fire (since ignite doesn't need a crit to trigger)...

too soon to tell how much more we will be jerked around this xpac.

i think arcane will still be top BUT im still concerned about how absurd 4stack of arcane blast costs -_- hopefully they fix that shit real soon or it will be unpleasant to play with :/

i do have a feeling fire will be better once you replace t14 stuff (from what i saw there quiet alot of crit based items spaace)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!