Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Good thing I live in america.
    Yes, im pretty happy you're not here too...

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Yes, and you are too if you stab me.

But to shoot me you need a gun.
    But you would need something to stab someone as well, like a pencil! If you don't, I suppose you can always stab someone to death with a pointy finger. I'm not quite sure how that works out though. I'm not going to say anything else regarding this discussion, as I know everyone has their own view, and so do I. I'll keep that view for later

10+ Year Old Account
    Denmark
    Fuckin' cold atm
    I pay $417 in rent for my room - stuff is expensive
    Yes, plenty
    I get paid to go to school, free healthcare, less guns, more press freedoms, smaller, no mountains, island nation, most people are bi or polylingual, lack of animals capable of killing you, progressive politics, some can probably find more.
    HAHAHAHHAA.... I see the commercials in my head with that phrase...

"Do you feel a need to flee from adventure? Do you seek a lovely small place to hide? Then go to Denmark, our own little neutral zone on earth. We are basicly allowed to do anything we like, and the service is wonderful. Though if you are in for a hunt of adventure, then we sadly lack animals capable of killing you. Though, if you are lucky, there might be some wild wolves crossing the border from Germany! Order now, and we'll give you this anti-religious book on how to create arguements about religion!"
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    The promise land!!!!! another question forgive my ignorance what are gypsies?
    Not to generalize (even though what I'm about to say is a giant generalization) but gypsies are like the trailer trash of Europe. Everybody hates 'em everywhere, they have terrible reputations, and a few years ago France kicked all of them out. Don't believe me? Google it. I'm serious.

Deleted
    The UK is nice. Best universities in Europe, if you're in the North then it's fairly cheap standard of living, and no language barrier. Very similar to the US in many aspects, more so than other European countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    Gypsies are "nomadic" people. For instance in Norway, we have the Romani people originating from Romania.
    I am quite sure that the Romani originates from India and Pakistan. They are to be found all around in Europe, however they are very uncommon outside of Eastern Europe.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    HAHAHAHHAA.... I see the commercials in my head with that phrase...

"Do you feel a need to flee from adventure? Do you seek a lovely small place to hide? Then go to Denmark, our own little neutral zone on earth. We are basicly allowed to do anything we like, and the service is wonderful. Though if you are in for a hunt of adventure, then we sadly lack animals capable of killing you. Though, if you are lucky, there might be some wild wolves crossing the border from Germany! Order now, and we'll give you this anti-religious book on how to create arguements about religion!"
    I like my lovely polar bears here in Norway! They even walk around in the street!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    The UK is nice. Best universities in Europe, if you're in the North then it's fairly cheap standard of living, and no language barrier. Very similar to the US in many aspects, more so than other European countries.

ive always wondered what its like up north with your cheap rent, the media doesn't really paint a nice picture of it down here :P

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 07:50 PM ----------

also OP, it would help to know what you're studying

10+ Year Old Account
    Denmark
    Okay I suppose
    Enough
    Not enough
    Dunno, haven't been there
    Very. 90%+ speak it.

Deleted
    What country are you from?
    Portugal

Whats it like where you live?
    Not as cold as most of Europe. Pretty good summers if you enjoy sunbathing and going to the beach.
    Also one of the most corrupt countries in the EU, yet smart enough to convince everyone else it was the "people" that were lazy and luxurious and hence to blame for the crisis.

How is the cost of living?
    Pretty low when comparing to the rest of the EU.

Freedoms?
    Decent, actually. 80% of the country are catholics but nobody really cares what religion you follow, if any. Lots of racism in the most rural areas but ok in urban areas.
    Gay marriage is legal and so is drug consumption, even though you might get shit from the cops if consuming in public.

what are the main differences from the US?
    No gun crazies. No religious zealots. Our crazy right wingers work in the government but don't generally get much air time to spread their BS.

How common is English spoken there?
    Not much. Most will understand basic english, specially in big cities or tourist areas. Since you talk from a university POV you'd probably be fine, we get a lot of foreign students and they get by well enough. There's even groups for them "foreignos" in most universities, I used to play football ("soccer") with one of them in mine (they were mostly italians and brits with some finns, poles and frenchies).

10+ Year Old Account
    Snus is illegal. I believe...
    Not really,
    its illegal to sell in Denmark but not to consume.
    You could order as much as you would ever need from nor/swe and as long as it is for personal consumption, your good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    ive always wondered what its like up north with your cheap rent, the media doesn't really paint a nice picture of it down here :P

Yea, the media is fucking retarded when it comes to the North. We are not 'rough', as people might say, we are the friendliest people in the UK. Geordie Shore is nothing like the North, it's just enforcing a stereotype. We have the same living standard of living as the South, and it's cheaper. Newcastle has some beautiful architecture, pretty much the only city that beats it is London, and even then, London's architecture is more concentrated, but the whole city of Newcastle is very nice looking.
    To all haters: You jelly of our cheap rent bro?
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2013-02-09 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    ive always wondered what its like up north with your cheap rent, the media doesn't really paint a nice picture of it down here :P[COLOR="red"]

[/COLOR]also OP, it would help to know what you're studying
    Not as great as they make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Not really,
    its illegal to sell in Denmark but not to consume.
    You could order as much as you would ever need from nor/swe and as long as it is for personal consumption, your good.
    Damn Norwegian girl on my study uses it. She made me try it yesterday. It made me relaxed - or i was just very tired anyway...

Deleted
    Hello guys,

So I been wondering a bit about Europe. So I have a few questions

The Czech Republic.

In the country, not very good. Loonies and corruption everywhere.

In the city, meh. Could be better.

Robbery in plain daylight.

Freedoms?

With the EU around? Minimal.

We have a communist past, which has a scary effect on modern Czech politics, lucky you.

I think I'll sooner hear people speaking Swahili than proper English around here.

I ask because I am trying to narrow down where in Europe I want to go for my masters

Forget it. This is the Second World, and it is not good.
    There you have it.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Damn Norwegian girl on my study uses it. She made me try it yesterday. It made me relaxed - or i was just very tired anyway...
    Tip: Do not fall asleep or swallow it! Trust me!

Deleted

Cheap rent in the north of England?

It's currently cheaper to buy a house than it's to rent one. Although I guess it depends where abouts you are. In Leeds you can rent a place for between 300-700pcm, although it totally depends on the area you want to live in.

Though I'd still rather be a northern monkey than a southern fairy!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Cheap rent in the north of England?

It's currently cheaper to buy a house than it's to rent one. Though I'd still rather be a northern monkey than a southern fairy!
    Top lad. /ladfive

Scotland

Wet...very wet.
    Water from the tap is better than bottled water in Scotland...it's also sediment free so we don't have problems with heating/electrics failing because of lime scale.

Well on average a rent would cost you £400 per month any council tax another £150 a month, average broadband is about £30 per month with no bandwidth limits(some throttling if you go mental during the day), Electricity depending on how efficient you use it anything from £40 to £100 per month.
    Fuel is pretty dear like £1.30ish per liter.
    Food varies a lot from £100 to £250 per month depending on what you want to eat.

Freedoms?

Don't be an absolute retard and you should be fine...generally better than the US

Depends on where in the UK/Scotland you go but it is predominantly English.
    There you go

Sweden

The part of Sweden where I live is cold all around the year. This last summer you could barely swim outside because it was so cold. And it was snowing the 5 of june, which is crazy. But it was one of the worst summers I have seen to start with so... The summer before that was completely the other way around we had around 77-86 degrees Fahrenheit. So that was great.

I pay about 600 dollars per month for an apartment with 2 rooms, and it's about 65 square metres big. Which is pretty good. I pay about 400 dollars on food each month, but the food cost entirely depends on what you eat. I would say, if you get a part time job your salary will be more then enough to pay for this.

If you are thinking about living in Stockholm you should expect higher prices, especially rent. And it's also quite hard to get a place near the city, since there's a lack of apartments, and an overflow of students. Food costs are usually lower if you live in a big city, since shipping products doesn't cost as much for the company.

Freedoms?
    Sweden is probably one of the most free countries in the world, which is great. You can be yourself without worrying about what others think, since most people are very open and there is no government that control your life. So don't worry about this.

Carrying weapons is illegal. My brother got caught by policemen when he was carrying a box cutter he had accidentally brought with him from a course he attended in school, nothing really happened, except he got a warning. But as you hear the laws are pretty rough, if he would've carried a bigger knife he would've probably had to pay a fine. So if you are used to carrying guns or weapons of some sort, you'd better leave them in the U.S.

Attending school is mandatory from age 6-15, and everyone has to read English from age 7-15. So I would at least say English is common. Not everyone are very good at it, which I have noticed myself. But I would say the majority of people could be considered English speaking.