Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanG01 View Post
    I'm not planning to do any overclocking at all. I've never felt comfortable with that. I'm fine with it running the way it does stock. I don't want to invest into any coolers or risk overheated parts or an unstable processor. I know everyone says it's easy as pie lol but easy is perspective I'd rather not mess around with it.
    This is a completely understandable way to feel if you have been dealing with PCs for a long time. I know I feel the same way. However, nowadays, chips run cooler and can handle more heat. Chips come, from the mfg, unlocked and ready to be overclocked. These are the hand picked best, ready to OC. If they do not feel it will OC, they lock it and sell it as a non-K chip. The way they are designed today is to be OCed, if you buy the k versions. The Z77 chipset is also designed for OC, since again, nowadays parts run cooler and can handle more heat.

On top of this, air cooling has come a long way as well. With a decent air cooler you can cool as much as a bad Watercooler and with a good air cooler you can be on par with all but the best watercooling systems. This goes back to the parts running cooler than they used to partially, but still, expensive watercooling is no longer needed for mild-to-mid OCing, especially since the chips and MoBos are designed for it.

That said, I still am not talking about a 5gHz OC here, just a mild 4.0-4.2 OC. I think even the stock coolers can handle up to 3.8-4.0, though it is not generally recommended. A cheap $30 cooloer like the Hyper 212 EVO can allow you to OC it easily. Also, due to the chipsets on the Z77 MoBos, it is a lot easier than you think. Open BIOS, change a setting, done. It is unlocked and designed to do that.\

Now all that said, I am still not a huge fan of OCing, though am probably going to do it myself on my next upgrade that I will be getting soon-ish. It just seems to me if they are designed to run that way, why don't they just sell them running that way. However, a lot of that does not have to do with the chip but instead the MoBo, so they can't really do it in house.

I'm not planning to do any overclocking at all. I've never felt comfortable with that. I'm fine with it running the way it does stock. I don't want to invest into any coolers or risk overheated parts or an unstable processor. I know everyone says it's easy as pie lol but easy is perspective I'd rather not mess around with it.
    If you have no plans at overclocking there is no point in getting a 3570K, you can save some bucks and get a non-k instead then.

If there is a chance you will overclock later you get a Z77 motherboard and a 3570k, if there is no chance you get a h77 and a 3350p, 3470 or 3570.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-12 at 08:18 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    If you already have the CPU, I'd bite the bullet and invest in a cheap system that will last you a good 2-3 years. You can invest a little more in a decent case and PSU for future upgrades, or you can go for an inexpensive case and a cheap but good quality PSU and look at a decent GPU for gaming. What are you looking to spend, because reading over your previous posts I'm slightly confused with the advice you're seeking. Is it a build for a friend or yourself?

The GPU I found was my compromise as far as price goes. I definitely do plan on getting an SSD but that's another 100$ right now, I can do that later and I've always been extremely comfortable formatting, partitioning, and ghosting drives so I'm not worried about putting everything ona Sata6 right now. I know the price of CPU's won't change but as far as a good motherboard and cpu combo what would you recommend? Is there something I can get now that will be compatible with the next set of chips being released that isn't massively expensive? (Also keep in mind I already have the i3 3220. It's sitting about six feet from me, got it for almost half retail a while back from newegg and have held on to it for a while) I'm not adverse to the idea of spending a little bit more than I am now but that would also entail returning a product, waiting for that money and purchasing later and all that bs so if it is an upgrade it'd have to be a pretty staggering one.
    With Haswell going to LGA1150, there is no MB you can purchase that will be compatible with it, which is why I suggested you just buy the 3570 on a B75 board right now instead. Since you already have the 3220, just get an H77 or B75 board now. They'll be no point in upgrading the CPU later on since the cost will likely warrant replacing both with a current gen setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    If you already have the CPU, I'd bite the bullet and invest in a cheap system that will last you a good 2-3 years. You can invest a little more in a decent case and PSU for future upgrades, or you can go for an inexpensive case and a cheap but good quality PSU and look at a decent GPU for gaming. What are you looking to spend, because reading over your previous posts I'm slightly confused with the advice you're seeking. Is it a build for a friend or yourself?
    The post began as advice for a build for a friend with a 700$ budget, I got that sorted out. Someone recommended a different mobo than the one I picked for him (which was the one I was using) so I was debating doing that upgrade as well.

My budget is about 400 more than I've already spent (reminder I purchased the Case, CPU, Fans, Optical Drive, and Wireless card already.) So we're looking at 300-400$ total for the GPU, Mobo, PSU, Ram, HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    With Haswell going to LGA1150, there is no MB you can purchase that will be compatible with it, which is why I suggested you just buy the 3570 on a B75 board right now instead. Since you already have the 3220, just get an H77 or B75 board now. They'll be no point in upgrading the CPU later on since the cost will likely warrant replacing both with a current gen setup.
    Gotcha this is probably the plan.

After reviewing all the info I think I'm going to buy the Z77 now to use with the 3220 and then in about 2 months~ buy the i5 3570k and take a dip into learning to OC (mostly because I only need this build to be "good" for about a year maybe 2) I'll put more into a better build this time next year. I'm budgeting to have 2000$ this time next year to put into a good build.

Deleted
    If you're seriously budgeting a massive $2000 for next year then that's more than enough for a completely new build from scratch.

For now, i'd focus on building a system for GPU bound games. If you're mainly using it for games, other than WoW, what kind of games are you planning on purchasing/playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    If you're seriously budgeting a massive $2000 for next year then that's more than enough for a completely new build from scratch.

For now, i'd focus on building a system for GPU bound games. If you're mainly using it for games, other than WoW, what kind of games are you planning on purchasing/playing?
    Right now the only things I plan on actually playing are World of Warcraft, Starwars The Old Republic, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Borderlands II, Terraria, Portal 2, Diablo 3, and Starcraft II