Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Weight loss Help, I'm at a loss :(

    Really trying to lose weight, I'm a 28 years old male , about 5,9 and 272pounds,, I don't look like I'm that heavy as I have a big build, with wide shoulders, I'm going on holiday in June and i've been working out hard and trying my best to lose at least 40/50 pounds,

    I have cut out all drinks, only drink water, lots of it each day,
    cut out all breads, butter, salt, potatoes, junk food, biscuits processed foods, I've basically cut out everything bad and only eating the good shit,
    eating chicken breast and salad or tuna and salad most days, ( small portions) mix it up with one time brown pasta and salad or brown rice with lots of veggys and like an apple a day,
    having 5/6 small meals a day ( 1500 to 1800 calories max ) + one of the meals is a protein shake

    I'm working out 6 days a week,

    Mon - Wed - Fri is weights/cardio and also 50 mins on bike,
    Tues - Thurs - Saturday = Cardio. interval treadmill training plus interval boxing punch, for 30 to 40 mins plus 45 mins on bike

    I'm working out, I'm eating right, I'm only drinking water, but the weight just wont come off,, first week I lost not even one pound.. which totally frustrated me, I'm doing everything right but can't lose the weight,

    edit.. should have said,, I'v lost 30 pounds by just going on a 10 minute walk every day, and eating ok not as good as above but then I stopped, for a few months and started again with the training I've listed above, but I'm just stuck in the 270s

    anyone got any advice? would really appreciate it,

    Thanks
    Last edited by mullermilch; 2013-02-10 at 12:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mullermilch View Post
    Really trying to lose weight, I'm a 28 years old male , about 5,9 and 272pounds,, I don't look like I'm that heavy as I have a big build, with wide shoulders, I'm going on holiday in June and i've been working out hard and trying my best to lose at least 40/50 pounds,

    I have cut out all drinks, only drink water, lots of it each day,
    cut out all breads, butter, salt, potatoes, junk food, biscuits processed foods, I've basically cut out everything bad and only eating the good shit,
    eating chicken breast and salad or tuna and salad most days, ( small portions) mix it up with one time brown pasta and salad or brown rice with lots of veggys and like an apple a day,
    having 5/6 small meals a day ( 1500 to 1800 calories max ) + one of the meals is a protein shake

    I'm working out 6 days a week,

    Mon - Wed - Fri is weights/cardio and also 50 mins on bike,
    Tues - Thurs - Saturday = Cardio. interval treadmill training plus interval boxing punch, for 30 to 40 mins plus 45 mins on bike

    I'm working out, I'm eating right, I'm only drinking water, but the weight just wont come off,, first week I lost not even one pound.. which totally frustrated me, I'm doing everything right but can't lose the weight,

    edit.. should have said,, I'v lost 30 pounds by just going on a 10 minute walk every day, and eating ok not as good as above but then I stopped, for a few months and started again with the training I've listed above, but I'm just stuck in the 270s

    anyone got any advice? would really appreciate it,

    Thanks
    Firstly, get rid of any misconceptions you may have about weight loss.
    The simple truth is weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Don't limit yourself to only eating 'healthy' foods. Not one food will make you fat overnight.

    Calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). There are lots of different formulas for this so I'll just suggest http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html
    Eat at a 300-500 calorie deficit

    This is ONLY for losing weight. If you're talking about actually looking good when you want to lose weight, you will have to take these other things into consideration ...

    Lift HEAVY, minimum 3x a week. If you have never lifted before, it's impossible to overtrain straight away. If you can train everyday, do it. Don't feel obliged to, however. If you are busy with other things or just actually feel sore and tired from previous training sessions, don't push yourself, otherwise if you're fine, it's a good thing to do. Volume is one thing many beginners (assuming you are one) overlook. They look at a workout schedule and stick to it. If you can do more, do it. This also builds more willpower and discipline.

    Hit your MACROS (Carbs/fats/protein)
    Consume at least 1g to 1.5g of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS (how much you'd weigh if you had not one ounce of fat on you)
    To find this out, you need an approximation on your body fat. Electric body fat scales are inaccurate. You'd be better off looking at a comparable picture online of different men with different percentages of body fat ---> http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...alculator.html
    For sake of ease, if you're 200 pounds and 20 body fat, your LBM (Lean Body Mass) is going to be 160 pounds, so, you'd need to consume at least 160g of protein a day. Any more won't hurt, but it will be unnecessary. Too much under and it could hinder your lifts.
    With fats, consume at least .45 grams per pound of LBM (if you can't find an accurate number on your LBM, 70-80g of fat a day would be ideal). Fat is crucial for the body. Not getting into science with you about it but whenever I'm low on fat for long periods of time I become angry, depressed, less attentative, and it also affects testosterone levels.
    Fill the rest of your calorie intake with carbs. Carbs are NOT the enemy. They won't make you fat. Eat whatever time of day you want, there is no secret hormone that becomes active at night telling your body to store all food as fat if you eat past 10 or 8 or whatever.

    I didn't mention cardio, because, cardio is not necessary. It does have health benefits but as far as losing weight, you don't need to do it. It will put your further into a deficit, which in turn, allows you to eat more.
    Best of luck. Any questions I'll be happy to answer.
    Last edited by FatRastafarian; 2013-02-10 at 03:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Go paleo. Heavy lifting is good. Look into crossfit

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzilla3 View Post
    Go paleo. Heavy lifting is good. Look into crossfit
    Skip paleo, skip crossfit.

    Dont go on a specific diet, just eat clean. Eat the foods you think taste good.
    And look into a good beginners program, that isnt crossfit.

  5. #5
    Do you intend to look fit? If you want to train you got to have a goal with the training. Else you cant pick the correct training
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    Firstly, get rid of any misconceptions you may have about weight loss.
    The simple truth is weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Don't limit yourself to only eating 'healthy' foods. Not one food will make you fat overnight.
    This is absolutely true, and you'll see me repeat this sentence throughout this post: Burn more than you eat. Period.
    No magic diets, no water diet, no paleo diet, no secret training programs is gonna make you loose weight.

    To me, 6 meals a day seems awfully alot, but if you're coming from the US I guess its normal. I would still recommend to turn the amount down, but yet again, if you can burn it right after - who cares?

    Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    Hit your MACROS (Carbs/fats/protein)
    Consume at least 1g to 1.5g of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS (how much you'd weigh if you had not one ounce of fat on you)
    To find this out, you need an approximation on your body fat. Electric body fat scales are inaccurate. You'd be better off looking at a comparable picture online of different men with different percentages of body fat ---> http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...alculator.html
    For sake of ease, if you're 200 pounds and 20 body fat, your LBM (Lean Body Mass) is going to be 160 pounds, so, you'd need to consume at least 160g of protein a day. Any more won't hurt, but it will be unnecessary. Too much under and it could hinder your lifts.
    With fats, consume at least .45 grams per pound of LBM (if you can't find an accurate number on your LBM, 70-80g of fat a day would be ideal). Fat is crucial for the body. Not getting into science with you about it but whenever I'm low on fat for long periods of time I become angry, depressed, less attentative, and it also affects testosterone levels.
    Fill the rest of your calorie intake with carbs. Carbs are NOT the enemy. They won't make you fat. Eat whatever time of day you want, there is no secret hormone that becomes active at night telling your body to store all food as fat if you eat past 10 or 8 or whatever.

    I didn't mention cardio, because, cardio is not necessary. It does have health benefits but as far as losing weight, you don't need to do it. It will put your further into a deficit, which in turn, allows you to eat more.
    Best of luck. Any questions I'll be happy to answer.
    Those things??? What?? Could you elaborate why any of these things are neccesary? Especially the first part, I dont see it making any sense.

    Also, cardio is somewhat an effective training method to burn calories. You can burn (allmost) pure fat post 2 hrs of 50-60% of max HR on a cycle, so it have alot of benefits in loosing weight.

  6. #6
    You can burn as much fat doing weight lifting as cardio.
    And TS dont bother counting carbs and fats etc.
    Just count calories and protein.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by omniscience View Post
    To me, 6 meals a day seems awfully alot, but if you're coming from the US I guess its normal.
    He said 5 or 6 small meals. You're probably considering each meal to be much larger than what he's really consuming.

  8. #8
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    271
    It may be that your hard exercise is turning fat into muscle, which will make you healthier, but the same weight... Keep at it, and lower the calories where you can.

    Find food that fill you up and have less calories in them...

    Calories in versus calories out is what decides weight loss/gain in the end; All the various diet systems tend to be about methods to achieve that. Or methods to sell overprices branded diet products or books, They are unnecessary if you have the motivation and willpower (which you seem to have) to stick at a lower calorie intake without special rules and products, and since many of them don't have a dietician in sight, they may be bad for your health.#

    Good luck and keep at it!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FleckerMan View Post
    It may be that your hard exercise is turning fat into muscle, which will make you healthier, but the same weight... Keep at it, and lower the calories where you can.

    Find food that fill you up and have less calories in them...

    Calories in versus calories out is what decides weight loss/gain in the end; All the various diet systems tend to be about methods to achieve that. Or methods to sell overprices branded diet products or books, They are unnecessary if you have the motivation and willpower (which you seem to have) to stick at a lower calorie intake without special rules and products, and since many of them don't have a dietician in sight, they may be bad for your health.#

    Good luck and keep at it!
    I stopped reading right there, if you dont know anything you shouldnt really post. Christ.
    YOU CANNOT TURN FAT INTO MUSCLE.

  10. #10
    My advice (I work at a Gym): I didn't read about any strength training, only cardio. While cardio is a good active fatburner, you also have to worry about your passive fatburning. I'm 82kg, with a bodyfat of 9% so I have quite some muscle mass. When lay on the ground doing nothing, together with a guy thats 82kg with less muscle, I can eat more then he can without getting fatter, while we are doing the same. If you gain a little muscle, that muscle-mass will use nutrition. So you will be able burn more fat while not doing anything! Combine that with cardio and a good diet and you can't go wrong. I'd say 4 times a week 1hr of weightlifting. Also don't forget your legs! These burn the most calories in a passive way, since they are your biggest muscles! Besides that keep on doing the cardio you'd like. The best is to add 30min of cardio after the weightlifting, since you've already entered the time in which your body starts using your fat reserve after the weightlifting.

  11. #11
    Keyboard Turner Haggar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7
    Over the course of 8 months I lost about 55 lbs with lifting + a little bit of cardio.
    4 Days a week going to the gym (in the evening), 30 mins of Cardio after that (at max pulse).
    On the other days I sometimes did 30 to 1 hour cardio only (max pulse too).

    As for eatinghabits:
    Normally I ate a normal breakfast (with carbohydrates, everything), after that I either ate nothing (at days where I didnt lift) or made myself some nice lunch to have enough energy to go lift.
    At the end of the day I always made myself a proteinshake.
    So in the end I take in about 600-700 cal. a day, Im not sure how many calories I burn during lifting, but during cardio its easily about 300-400.

    It works, its sometimes a bitch because you get hungry, but if you have enough willpower, its alright! ;D
    Needless to say I also have an all you can eat day once every two weeks where I go out with friends and eat carbs at dinner, Chinese, Kebab etc., but once in a while thats okay too.

    I have a guy in my Gym who lost 120 lbs by eating close to NOTHING and doing cardio for 2 hours every damn day for like 10 months. D:
    he was like 300 lbs, now he is down too 170 something and he can wrap his belly skin around his neck like a scarf...

    Edit:

    Quote Originally Posted by Oniax View Post
    My advice (I work at a Gym): The best is to add 30min of cardio after the weightlifting, since you've already entered the time in which your body starts using your fat reserve after the weightlifting.
    <3
    Last edited by Haggar; 2013-02-10 at 10:13 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by omniscience View Post
    Do you intend to look fit? If you want to train you got to have a goal with the training. Else you cant pick the correct training

    This is absolutely true, and you'll see me repeat this sentence throughout this post: Burn more than you eat. Period.
    No magic diets, no water diet, no paleo diet, no secret training programs is gonna make you loose weight.

    To me, 6 meals a day seems awfully alot, but if you're coming from the US I guess its normal. I would still recommend to turn the amount down, but yet again, if you can burn it right after - who cares?



    Those things??? What?? Could you elaborate why any of these things are neccesary? Especially the first part, I dont see it making any sense.

    Also, cardio is somewhat an effective training method to burn calories. You can burn (allmost) pure fat post 2 hrs of 50-60% of max HR on a cycle, so it have alot of benefits in loosing weight.
    It's a common practice to consume 1g to 1.5g of protein per pound of LBM while losing weight to attain as much muscle as possible. Because you're in a calorie deficit it is impossible to gain any muscle mass (excusing noob gains which you may actually get).

  13. #13
    Well done on changing your lifestyle, even if the results are not coming yet, it's a great thing - don't forget it! Next, if you can keep a diary/log whatever and measure your body fat once a week (if possible) otherwise measure your waist/hips, chest, biceps, quads. If nothing else you will see some results in these areas even if the scales stay roughly unchanged.

    losing weight is 80% about diet, calories in vs calories out is an over simplification. Two people will respond differently to the same diet/workout regime regardless of deficit or surplus of calories. Regardless, you do need to run a deficit. Eating clean unprocessed foods is definitely better than processed foods. Keep up your fat intake. fat is not evil and it is the source of a large number of essential vitamins and minerals and also is the source for your body to manufacture whatever you are not getting from your diet.

    5-6 meals is about nutrient absorption and is for body builders trying to maximise their muscle gains. If you're going for a calorie deficit, then 2-3 meals is fine, eat a snack or two if you feel like it. Also once a week have a feasting day. Eat 150% of your normal calorific intake. This stops your body going into a starvation mode (after all if you're eating 1500 calories a day - you are starving yourself)

    Paleo/Crossfit is a perfectly valid suggestion if you follow the ideology more so than their exact programs. Eating whole foods that were available the hunter/gatherers is a pretty good base philosophy, but you don't have to follow this 100%, a little bit of grains/dairy is going to be fine.

    As for your workout regime - it's clear it's not getting the results you want/expect. I would suggest trying a high intensity regime. 30 minutes of intense work in the gym has been shown to be more effective when it comes to weight loss than any other methodology. You should be aiming to leave the gym feeling almost nauseous, don't rest while you're in the gym - rest afterwards! (remember you're going for weight loss here - not bulk muscle building). The philosophy behind high intensity is that the 1-2 hours after these workouts you burn more calories and have a more positive impact on your metabolism than long sustained cardio. One of the important things with your workouts is to change it up - don't do the same program for any more than a month

  14. #14
    thanks for all the replies some very helpful information,

    I'm doing strength training also and its been 3 weeks now and I have noticed a big improvement,, doing normal squats was hard at the start now I'm able to do deep ones with holding weights, I do feel better, stronger, more energy. but I want to weight to go,, and to tone up and later start weights and build some muscle. but right now its weight I want to lose,
    Last edited by mullermilch; 2013-02-10 at 02:05 PM.

  15. #15
    Lifting weights builds muscles, pretty quick in the first weeks if you didn't work out at all before that. Muscles are heavier so you won't lose that much weight at the beginning.

    Also, eating max 1800 calories a day and working out 6 days of the week without losing weight doesn't compute. One of these 3 variables is wrong.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mullermilch View Post
    thanks for all the replies some very helpful information,

    I'm doing strength training also and its been 3 weeks now and I have noticed a big improvement,, doing normal squats was hard at the start now I'm able to do deep ones with holding weights, I do feel better, stronger, more energy. but I want to weight to go,, and to tone up and later start weights and build some muscle. but right now its weight I want to lose,
    There is not really such a thing as 'toning' up. You either lose fat, exposing the muscle, or bulk, effectively putting on fat and muscle.
    You can do numerous cutting and bulking cycles. This will take numerous years to achieve your most ideal physique.
    You want to lose weight now which is fine but understand, you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. You cannot build muscle without eating in a surplus, even then, the muscle will come accompanied with fat. You can minimize the fat you gain by doing a clean bulk, eating at a 300-500 calorie surplus or you can just disregard counting calories and macros (except for protein) and dirty bulk, eat whatever the fuck you want, putting on more fat. Dirty bulking is not recommended if you're worried about aesthetics, and in most part only advised to dirty bulk if you're an extreme case ie severely underweight individual. Dirty bulking won't speed up the amount of muscle you actually put on. The 'average' guy (using this term very loosely), doing everything by the book, can expect to see a gain of around 1lb a week. Half of that would be fat, the other half muscle. Over the course of a year, that's around 26lb of muscle being added, which is huge.
    Anyway, back onto losing weight, it's good to get in a mindset that losing weight is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Making little changes every day will add up in the long run and you won't end up hating going on your new 'diet', it will just be all natural to you.
    Best of luck

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 02:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by value View Post
    Lifting weights builds muscles, pretty quick in the first weeks if you didn't work out at all before that. Muscles are heavier so you won't lose that much weight at the beginning.

    Also, eating max 1800 calories a day and working out 6 days of the week without losing weight doesn't compute. One of these 3 variables is wrong.
    I'm inclined to believe OP is eating more than 1800 calories a day. This is, in majority cases, the number one reason people they aren't losing weight. They guess their portions. Kitchen scales are the most invaluable tool you could ever buy. Good digital ones are like $15 AUD from Target. Never guess in the beginning, always measure!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    There is not really such a thing as 'toning' up. You either lose fat, exposing the muscle, or bulk, effectively putting on fat and muscle.
    You can do numerous cutting and bulking cycles. This will take numerous years to achieve your most ideal physique.
    You want to lose weight now which is fine but understand, you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. You cannot build muscle without eating in a surplus, even then, the muscle will come accompanied with fat. You can minimize the fat you gain by doing a clean bulk, eating at a 300-500 calorie surplus or you can just disregard counting calories and macros (except for protein) and dirty bulk, eat whatever the fuck you want, putting on more fat. Dirty bulking is not recommended if you're worried about aesthetics, and in most part only advised to dirty bulk if you're an extreme case ie severely underweight individual. Dirty bulking won't speed up the amount of muscle you actually put on. The 'average' guy (using this term very loosely), doing everything by the book, can expect to see a gain of around 1lb a week. Half of that would be fat, the other half muscle. Over the course of a year, that's around 26lb of muscle being added, which is huge.
    Anyway, back onto losing weight, it's good to get in a mindset that losing weight is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Making little changes every day will add up in the long run and you won't end up hating going on your new 'diet', it will just be all natural to you.
    Best of luck[COLOR="red"]

    !
    You cannot gain 26 pounds of muscle in a years, thats physically impossible.
    And when you bulk you shouldnt gain a pound a week, thats just dumb.
    2-3 pounds A MONTH is a good weight gain.

  18. #18
    The Patient Vaiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    225
    me and my bf lost weight eating low-carb (he lost around 17kg (~37.5 pounds) and I lost around 9kg (~20 pounds) until now).
    low carb means you eat no pasta, potatoes (in any form), bread or rice, also fruits should be cut to very low amounts (fruit sugar is baaaad ^^).
    also we switched from normal drinks to light/zero drinks (there should be nutrition information on the food packages, just don't eat anything with many carbs).
    also sometimes we go to the gym, but only for a small workout so our bodies don't get saggy (we didn't go to the gym in the last 2-3 months due to lack of time, but the weight just keeps getting less and less )
    Last edited by Vaiara; 2013-02-10 at 02:33 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    There is not really such a thing as 'toning' up. You either lose fat, exposing the muscle, or bulk, effectively putting on fat and muscle.
    You can do numerous cutting and bulking cycles. This will take numerous years to achieve your most ideal physique.
    You want to lose weight now which is fine but understand, you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. You cannot build muscle without eating in a surplus, even then, the muscle will come accompanied with fat. You can minimize the fat you gain by doing a clean bulk, eating at a 300-500 calorie surplus or you can just disregard counting calories and macros (except for protein) and dirty bulk, eat whatever the fuck you want, putting on more fat. Dirty bulking is not recommended if you're worried about aesthetics, and in most part only advised to dirty bulk if you're an extreme case ie severely underweight individual. Dirty bulking won't speed up the amount of muscle you actually put on. The 'average' guy (using this term very loosely), doing everything by the book, can expect to see a gain of around 1lb a week. Half of that would be fat, the other half muscle. Over the course of a year, that's around 26lb of muscle being added, which is huge.
    Anyway, back onto losing weight, it's good to get in a mindset that losing weight is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Making little changes every day will add up in the long run and you won't end up hating going on your new 'diet', it will just be all natural to you.
    Best of luck

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-10 at 02:21 PM ----------



    I'm inclined to believe OP is eating more than 1800 calories a day. This is, in majority cases, the number one reason people they aren't losing weight. They guess their portions. Kitchen scales are the most invaluable tool you could ever buy. Good digital ones are like $15 AUD from Target. Never guess in the beginning, always measure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    You cannot gain 26 pounds of muscle in a years, thats physically impossible.
    And when you bulk you shouldnt gain a pound a week, thats just dumb.
    2-3 pounds A MONTH
    It's definitely possible. 26 pounds of muscle in one year of bulking is a far stretch but it has been done, but you probably know you can't do that year in, year out. We are genetically limited. If you cut after your first year of bulking and if you DO manage to gain 26 pounds of muscle, the body will be lucky to gain half of that the next bulk cycle.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRastafarian View Post
    It's definitely possible. 26 pounds of muscle in one year of bulking is a far stretch but it has been done, but you probably know you can't do that year in, year out. We are genetically limited. If you cut after your first year of bulking and if you DO manage to gain 26 pounds of muscle, the body will be lucky to gain half of that the next bulk cycle.
    No, its impossible to gain 26 pounds of muscle in a year. Period. Without steroids.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •