Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    why do you think that?
    I dont think that, I'm extremely responsible with everything I do, and a bike wouldn't change that. However, my father seems to think motorcycles are evil killing machines, lol.
    How fuel efficient are 600 bikes? I feel like they should be good entry bikes, but unsure about fuel. Also not really sure wether to get a naked or not, I hear they're better to drive, but how much better? Currently comparing the ZX-6R and the Z750

Deleted
    My first bike was a 1100 cc Honda Shadow... never went under 1000cc's since then. Never been in an accident myself other then standing still and somebody who was backing up hit me slightly on a parking lot at a grocery store... no damage to either vihicle. Sports bikes are gay btw, if you're using it for every day driving get a naked bike or a chopper.

I'm actually enjoying reading this thread. I am myself thinking of getting a bike as well. Its cheaper than a car and it would help me to get out of the house and we would have a second vehicle for me to get a job. I am for sure taking a lot of notes!

What kind of bike would you guys suggest? I've never really liked the whole Harley Davidson type looking bikes. My tastes are more in this range:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...scid=14&id=698
    or
    http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...&id=717&scid=6
    Last edited by Usako; 2013-02-10 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosleh View Post
    I dont think that, I'm extremely responsible with everything I do, and a bike wouldn't change that. However, my father seems to think motorcycles are evil killing machines, lol.
    How fuel efficient are 600 bikes? I feel like they should be good entry bikes, but unsure about fuel. Also not really sure wether to get a naked or not, I hear they're better to drive, but how much better? Currently comparing the ZX-6R and the Z750
    Trust me, when you get all that power under you, your previous tendancy to responsibility goes straight out the window and before you know it you are taking corners at 90mph, with your knee on the ground, throttling up to 130+mph on the straights and seeing how long you can hold a wheelie for. Honestly, good intentions really dont last long.

A 600 is a good starting point, lots of power, but not ridiculous. And as someone who rides bikes exclusively, take comfort into account. And R6 is really nice for a while, but if like me you are 6ft tall, anything more than a quick ride results in a very uncomfortable ride and a stiff back for days.

Oh, and I get the whole naked thing, but personally, as I ride in any weather, I appreciate a fairing (usually I get an aftermarket one to increase the size of the shield), to keep some of the weather off me, a naked bike in rain feels like riding into a powerwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sounds like you've never ridden before and are looking at the most powerful bikes you can find... STOP just keep driving your car because you WILL die. Listen to daddy.
    Not really looking at the most powerful at all, if I as I wouldn't have linked a 600, but still, considering a 600 because I don't want to spend my money on an okay bike that I'll sell quicker than intended and lose money...

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    That might be true for cruisers/standards but not for sportbikes. I assume he is talking about sportbikes since he mentioned the Ducati.

No. No. No. No. You have no experience on motorcycles so stay away from liter bikes (1000cc). The 848 is also a horrible choice for a first bike. Here are my suggestions on the sportbike side for first bikes/commuters. Kawasaki Ninja 300/250, Honda CBR250, Suzuki Sv650, Ducati Monster 696, Buell Blast, Kawasaki 650r. The Ninja 300 is probably the best bike you could get as a beginner. A little more kick over the 250s, great gas mileage for commuting, nice looking, and still able to tear up the twistys on the weekends.

You should probably just take the beginners MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course first. The beginners course they provide the bikes. Search their website and you can find courses near you. I have two motorcycles. A CBR 600rr and a CBR 250r. The 250r is an amazing little bike for the street. It gets 70+mpg and easily does 80+mph on the freeways.
    Ooo, I wish I would have read this before I asked about what kind of bike I should consider :P They all look nice too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    One thing you need to take into account, the majority of drivers do not take bikers into account. The vast majority of motorbike accidents are because a car driver is too stupid to check properly for bicycles or motorbikes. A car will show in the mirror, a bike in the same position may not.
    I had this, checked a junction, and didn't see a scooter, as it was dark, nearly took him out, luckily I was only doing 5mph and stopped before I pulled out.

Scared the shit out of me, because I was looking at getting a bike at the same time, won't have one now as it was that easy to make a mistake that could have ended badly.

However, I do still like bikes, so I may end up getting one in the future, probably a 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosleh View Post
    Hey everyone, so after considering it for a while and with the whole traffic situation in my city, I've decided to go from my car to a bike.
    So I'm looking for some opinions from everyone that rides a bike as your everyday way of transport! How is it? Have you ever been in an accident? if yes, how bad was it?
    Also, some opinions on what bike to get, since I'll be driving on highways every other weekend, I'm considering getting at least a 600cc bike as my first bike, would that be a good choice or should I go for something with more power or less power? Every opinion is welcome, I'm just trying to convince my dad I won't die if I start riding a bike, it's been a rough fight, but I think he'll accept it, eventually, lol.
    Bikes can be very dangerous as pointed out elsewhere in this thread. The first thing I'd ask is what part of the country you live?

I used to live in Alabama and had the luxury there to ride year round. This made having a motorcycle extremely valuable. However, while snow wasn't really ever and issue, rain was a serious problem at times considering the heavy thunderstorms that happen often there. Keep in mind, good safety gear isn't cheap. While you might find a motorcycle for a "fair" price, you can easily spend upwards to another $500 plus on a helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and even leggings.

If you really wanted a decent suggest as to what to purchase, I'd suggest something like the Suzuki GS500F or the Honda 919. Both a really great starter bikes which have enough power to move you at highway/interstate speeds but also get fair gas mileage.

Also, your physical size has a lot to with what sort of bike you should start with and or chassis to look into. I love the Triumph Thruxton but at 6'4" it's too small for me. If you know you are going to be on lots of 30+ minute highway rides, something like a Thruxton or modern Sport bike may not be the most comfortable starting bike due to handle bar positioning.

There are a few other "style" bikes which aren't bad for smaller/mid size frame riders starting out. Honda made a model called the Magna which was a really nice smaller sized cruser. I've heard nothing but praise for them. There is even something like an older Yamaha Seca II.

If you have more questions certainly ask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkusagi View Post
    Ooo, I wish I would have read this before I asked about what kind of bike I should consider :P They all look nice too

btw the Suzuki 650 has a lower seat than most bikes, which is why lots of women ride it. So if you are tall, make sure its comfortable for you. Otherwise its a nice bike early on, fun and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    btw the Suzuki 650 has a lower seat than most bikes, which is why lots of women ride it. So if you are tall, make sure its comfortable for you. Otherwise its a nice bike early on, fun and practical.
    I am really short. I'm about 5'3. D: