Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The Supreme Court has upheld that State laws that require people to give the police their name and ID are not a violation of the 4th amendment. Unless you are absolutely sure, it would be unwise to refuse their demand for your name and or ID. Even if you aren't required to give it, you could still be arrested and have to put up with having your night ruined.
    Different states have different vagrancy laws. However if you are not suspected of committing a crime you don't have to answer any questions and should not be detained. You would have to be charged with a crime to be arrested which means they would have to lie. I'm not saying this doesn't happen. If more people were aware of their rights and exercised them police wouldn't be able to get away with what they do. They are trained to use any information they get from you against you.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Different states have different vagrancy laws. However if you are not suspected of committing a crime you don't have to answer any questions and should not be detained. You would have to be charged with a crime to be arrested which means they would have to lie. I'm not saying this doesn't happen. If more people were aware of their rights and exercised them police wouldn't be able to get away with what they do. They are trained to use any information they get from you against you.
    As I said, some states it is illegal to not provide your name to police, I believe the charge is obstruction of justice without violence. Even in states where it's not illegal, you could still be arrested (illegally) and who wants to deal with that? I sure don't. I'm not letting them search me, but I'll give them my name and be courteous.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    As I said, some states it is illegal to not provide your name to police, I believe the charge is obstruction of justice without violence. Even in states where it's not illegal, you could still be arrested (illegally) and who wants to deal with that? I sure don't. I'm not letting them search me, but I'll give them my name and be courteous.
    There is no state where you have to provide your name to police if you aren't committing a crime. Some states require you to carry ID but you only have to present the ID if you are being detained for a crime. Otherwise I have to show a cop my ID as much as I would have to show it to you if you asked me.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There is no state where you have to provide your name to police if you aren't committing a crime. Some states require you to carry ID but you only have to present the ID if you are being detained for a crime. Otherwise I have to show a cop my ID as much as I would have to show it to you if you asked me.
    You might want to brush up:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

    First one in the list:
    http://law.justia.com/codes/alabama/...4/15-5-30.html

    Obviously, you can fight the law by calling in to question the cop's reasoning for thinking you were/might/did commit a crime, but I'll say again, is spending even a few hours at a police station while they sort things out worth it just to prove a point about your rights? My time is certainly more valuable, which is why I'll be happy to identify myself, and assert my other rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •