Thread: Shield DPS

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Shield DPS

Is there anyone else that thinks that a DPS spec that uses a shield would be interesting? I mentioned earlier in my Rogue reform thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-up-the-rogue , a lot of really silly ideas but still) that I wanted combat rogues to be able to wear shields. After all, combat rogues are supposed to be swashbucklers. Or bandits.

So yeah, even if combat rogues don't get any shield DPS spec, do you think a shield DPS spec would work for any class? A fury warrior with 2-hand weapon in one hand and a shield in the other? An enhancement shaman walking around smashing people with 2 shields aka Viking from Final Fantasy 3. Perhaps melee hunter spec that uses 1-hand weapons and a shield with it? Who knows?

Can you even DPS with a shield today? I don't really know much about warriors, but wouldn't it be possible to DPS as a protection warrior, they have a few shield attacks that do fairly good damage. Whatcha think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wanted a "greek hoplite" style warrior. Polearm and shield DPS.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Too bad fury warriors can't dual wield polearms.

15+ Year Old Account
    This would be so epic, for when a 4th spec would be upon every class.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Elemental Shaman says hello

/wave

Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    My Elemental Shaman says hello

/wave
    You don't smash face tho, only fry em.

OT. Maybe warrior 4th spec, range dps that uses shield/spear. Throwing the spears of course. Bet trolls look amazing as that (tho I would still hate trolls, this would make me dislike them a little less).
    Last edited by alt-ithist; 2013-02-10 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see this, but not as a warrior spec. I'd prefer to see this as a separate class. Maybe a mail-wearing class that has a passive ability that allows them to carry a 2h pole-arm in one hand, and a shield in another. Sort of like Dragon Knights or Dragoons from Final Fantasy.

Deleted
    Mmm.. i dunno. Don't think it would work in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    Why not?

10chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    As far as I know, swashbucklers never actually used shields. Look at any pirate reference, and you won't see a shield anywhere. They typically fight with 1 sword, a cutlass to be specific, but it's not uncommon to find them holding 2.

While I do think that a shield DPS class would be awesome, Rogues aren't the class for it. It just doesn't fit the profile for them. I'd say Paladin would be most fitting. I mean after all, Protection spec is pretty much Captain America. They've had Avenger's Shield for as long as I've played the game. However, a Warrior could also easily fit into this spot simply because Shield Slam has been a somewhat iconic move for them throughout the game. There's really no other class or spec out there that would fit into it. It's not just because those are the only official shield-bearing tanks (I say official because there were tanking enhancement shamans right up to at least the end of Wrath), but because there's no other class that fits into any of the historical or fantasy stereotypes for it. Perhaps a new class would be in order to make it work (and make it something along the lines of a legionnaire, with a tall shield and a polearm, using abilities similar to the adds on the last boss in MSV).

The problem comes with balancing a role like that. Do you allow them to block? Logically they should be able to if they can wield a shield. How much do they block? If they're DPS, you can't have them blocking 30% of damage like tanks do.
    Actually, I do feel combat rogues fit best. Protection paladins are like Captain America, true, but Captain America is by no means a DPS, as seen in the movies he's the one charging in and leading the attack.

Sure, combat rogues can be swashbucklers, too bad they don't have anything that makes them look like swashbucklers besides being able to use cutlasses. I feel a combat rogue that poses as a bandit would fit them really well, simply because of WC3 bandits.

I could see it working for enhancement shamans. Like they could surge lava and stuff from the shield (could work for elemental as well). I don't see it working with a class though that uses it to hit people. I mean, who would actually use a shield to hit someone? It's too clunky and it's "stuck" to your arm.

I don't think you have the right to tell us what rogues should and shouldn't be. That's not your domain, it's Blizzard's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    I don't think you have the right to tell us what rogues should and shouldn't be. That's not your domain, it's Blizzard's.
    Okay? I never implied that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Is there anyone else that thinks that a DPS spec that uses a shield would be interesting? I mentioned earlier in my Rogue reform thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-up-the-rogue , a lot of really silly ideas but still) that I wanted combat rogues to be able to wear shields. After all, combat rogues are supposed to be swashbucklers. Or bandits.

So yeah, even if combat rogues don't get any shield DPS spec, do you think a shield DPS spec would work for any class? A fury warrior with 2-hand weapon in one hand and a shield in the other? An enhancement shaman walking around smashing people with 2 shields aka Viking from Final Fantasy 3. Perhaps melee hunter spec that uses 1-hand weapons and a shield with it? Who knows?

Can you even DPS with a shield today? I don't really know much about warriors, but wouldn't it be possible to DPS as a protection warrior, they have a few shield attacks that do fairly good damage. Whatcha think?
    You're right, you did a bit more than imply.

That would fuck loot distribution up.

Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    If Blizzard can balance it so that warriors dual-wielding giant two-handers deal about the same damage as a warrior dual-wielding tiny one-handers, I'm sure that this could be more than possible.

Anyway, I've always loved the idea. Whether or not WoW needs more classes or not is debatable, but I'd really like to see this. :-)

settle down bro, its a fun discussion that you're taking waaaay too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    That would fuck loot distribution up.
    you mean like DK's requiring the same DPS weapons as Ret paladins/arms warriors/fury warriors/unholy DK's/2h Frost DKs, for Tanking?

Holy paladins during any of the multiple times in WoW history that they've basically been DPS classes.

It would be cool to have a proper one though.

Deleted
    Okay, first of all, it says in combat's very description that it's swashbuckler.

Secondly, when I say "or bandits", it's "or bandits" as in "or they could be bandits" expressed as a personal opinion.

Thirdly, talk about pointless thing to whine about.

And lastly, stay on topic please.