Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Okay so let me get this straight you can't buy junk food but you can buy grapes and yeast to make Wine. I personally know somebody that has done this with there EBT card.
    This is just total bull. People who are on food stamps don't make their own wine.

Edit for language
    Last edited by Karaoke; 2013-02-12 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    This is just total bull. People who are on food stamps don't make their own wine.

Edit for language
    Why not, I'm a Veteran on Service Connected Disability and I make my own Bread, and I'm putting together the things needed to make my own Beer. Why because I can, and with the Internet the instructions are there so it's a fun past time to prevent boredom. Be thankful Wine is all her has decided to make, because I know the recipe for moonshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    A loaf of bread, a pound of turkey is much more than $1, which is what a cheese burger costs at most places, which is why people eat there. I'm not saying it's impossible for everyone, I'm saying that people do it because it's easier/cheaper in their circumstances.

I know I can make burgers cheaper at home, but I have a grill, a fridge, condiments, etc already purchased. If you have none of that, you can't take your $10 and turn that into a meal at a grocery store very easily, but you can at a drive thru.

If the closest grocery store is a 20 minute bus ride away, but you can walk to McDonalds, which one do you think most people will pick?
    Wow so you not only excuse the poor eating habits on someone else's dime, but give them the excuse that it is to hard to eat well. That is the exact problem with society today. Things are too hard. I might have to spend 20 minutes to go to the store to get food that someone else paid for. Boo hoo.

I am a healthily eater, and let me tell you it is cheaper than McDonalds. Even if you want a burger, I can get 2 pounds of beef ($2.00/lbs) and a package of buns (.99 for 8) and make 8 quater ponders for $5.00. You can not get 8 quarter pounders at McDonalds for $5.00. Instead of one large fries I can get a head of broccoli to feed the whole family steamed broccoli.

It is a myth that it is cheaper to eat at McDonalds.
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2013-02-12 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Ipad fail
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    you are so wrong what are they teaching you in school these days the progs having you believing you are under the government thumb and you are nothing but a servant to them the government is our servants
    It is government for the people by the people which means we are the government we elect officials to be stewards to do what the people elected them to do they are there to do the peoples who elected them bidding
    And if the majority doesn't want the tax money to get used for junk food they have the obligation to do so or they have to answer to them next election
    Sounds great on paper, doesn't it? And that paper it's written on is where the connection with reality comes to a screeching halt, and always has.

The only say you, as an individual, effectively have in where your tax money goes... is in how much you decide to allow the gov't to take from you to begin with. And that's about it.

I'm waiting for this to de-evolve into the republicans are trying to hurt the economy.

When in fact the food stamp program should never have been allowed to apply for "junk food" and what not.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I'm waiting for this to de-evolve into the republicans are trying to hurt the economy.

When in fact the food stamp program should never have been allowed to apply for "junk food" and what not.
    25 pages in and you're the first one to bring that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    25 pages in and you're the first one to bring that up.
    Self fulfilling prophecy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Self fulfilling prophecy.
    If I didn't know better I would be wary of attempts to trick people into saying things that will get them infracted. But I do know better. Right Oblivion?

If I didn't know better I would be wary of attempts to trick people into saying things that will get them infracted. But I do know better. Right Oblivion?
    It's like you think I know who you are or something.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Bring out a new brand of food specifically for food-stamps?

That way the quality can be lowered based on costs, and allows full control over what can be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    Bring out a new brand of food specifically for food-stamps?

That way the quality can be lowered based on costs, and allows full control over what can be bought.
    Or not allow it to be used on things that are taxable.

It's already not allowed to pay for the sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Sounds great on paper, doesn't it? And that paper it's written on is where the connection with reality comes to a screeching halt, and always has.

The only say you, as an individual, effectively have in where your tax money goes... is in how much you decide to allow the gov't to take from you to begin with. And that's about it.
    it is that way because we allowed it to be that way
    We allowed the government to slowly erode our rights under the assumption that they know best and it is for our own good and with our ignorant complacency we just say "go ahead what ever you say now where is my monthly check my free cell phone, contraception, and health care"
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2013-02-12 at 03:29 AM.

The worst thing about the recently renamed to a happy government assistance program name by the Obama administration is that on top of "junk food" it's also a system rife with fraud. It's trivially easy to get cash from food stamps from any non chain bodega or supermarket.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like you think I know who you are or something.
    I would have thought that the continuity of signature and avatar between my previous name, Grokan, and this name, would have prevented confusion. Still doesn't address the fact that you're coming in here and kicking up dirt.

The worst thing about the recently renamed to a happy government assistance program name by the Obama administration is that on top of "junk food" it's also a system rife with fraud. It's trivially easy to get cash from food stamps from any non chain bodega or supermarket.
    Only certain places can accept food stamps. Most likely these places cant and they are breaking the law.

I would have thought that the continuity of signature and avatar between my previous name, Grokan, and this name, would have prevented confusion. Still doesn't address the fact that you're coming in here and kicking up dirt.
    Oh, I got confused because you didn't ask me to provide proof for what I said.

But now that you are trying to accuse me of something to use the report post link for... it becomes clearer.

How exactly am I "coming in here and kicking up dirt"? I just figure that the logical course of action, because we all know they aren't going to take away free Doritos from Obama.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 03:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Only certain places can accept food stamps. Most likely these places cant and they are breaking the law.
    Yes they are breaking the law, they get caught.. but it's pretty prevalent. Pretty much any store that is still primarily a cash business can do it and hide it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I got confused because you didn't ask me to provide proof for what I said.

But now that you are trying to accuse me of something to use the report post link for... it becomes clearer.

How exactly am I "coming in here and kicking up dirt"? I just figure that the logical course of action, because we all know they aren't going to take away free Doritos from Obama.
    I didn't report you because it's not something that warrants a report. I'm just saying that you're the only one who said:
    Almost like you're trying to provoke people into saying that.

Yes they are breaking the law, they get caught.. but it's pretty prevalent. Pretty much any store that is still primarily a cash business can do it and hide it.
    That wouldnt be the governments fault though. Presumably the debit cards are made to prevent that but have their own problems.

The only foolproof system would be to have a "Food stamp supermarket" as the only place they could be used and youd have to have some sort of photo ID to use it. That would make the system more expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    That wouldnt be the governments fault though. Presumably the debit cards are made to prevent that but have their own problems.

The only foolproof system would be to have a "Food stamp supermarket" as the only place they could be used and youd have to have some sort of photo ID to use it. That would make the system more expensive though.
    we cant get people to show ID to vote how in the hell will you get them to agree to show an ID to buy food

And most food stamp fraud is done buy selling their stamps for 75 to 50 cents on the dollar by going with another to the market allowing them to buy food off your card and then they pay you 75 to 50 cents on every dollar they spend

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    we cant get people to show ID to vote how in the hell will you get them to agree to show an ID to buy food
    They have to show ID to buy alcohol regardless of the method of payment don't they?