Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Okay so let me get this straight you can't buy junk food but you can buy grapes and yeast to make Wine. I personally know somebody that has done this with there EBT card.
    Wow. That guy is a genius lol.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    A loaf of bread, a pound of turkey is much more than $1, which is what a cheese burger costs at most places, which is why people eat there. I'm not saying it's impossible for everyone, I'm saying that people do it because it's easier/cheaper in their circumstances.

I know I can make burgers cheaper at home, but I have a grill, a fridge, condiments, etc already purchased. If you have none of that, you can't take your $10 and turn that into a meal at a grocery store very easily, but you can at a drive thru.

If the closest grocery store is a 20 minute bus ride away, but you can walk to McDonalds, which one do you think most people will pick?
    Whaaaat? You need to do some math here. A load of bread and a pound of turkey does not just feed you for one meal.

A $1 hamburger is not sufficient for most people for one meal. The dollar burgers are tiny, you usually need to buy at least 2 or a side to have a substantial meal. You would need to buy at least 2 dollars worth per meal for fast food, and all you'd be getting is meat, bun, and probably some ketchup.

A loaf of bread, pound of turkey, some cheese, tomato/lettuce, and mayo (this lasts much longer than the bread/meat) can make 6-8 healthy meals with enough substance to fill you up. It would be cheaper than spending 12-16 dollars on burgers, and would leave you feeling better.

Deleted
    Seems fair enough, but in my country junk food is often cheaper than the rest. If the costs are fair I say why not.

To counter people stating that eggs and milk cost asinine amounts of money... Where i live eggs are $.90-$1.10 a dozen, milk is $3.19 a gallon and i drink "Super skim" milk which is more expensive than normal milk, a bag of potato chips is $3.50-$4.00 for a big "Family sized"(what ever that means) bag. No one should be giving any "But thats not on sale!" arguments because if you are paying over $3 for eggs you not shopping at a reasonable store, nor are you making any attempts at saving money. I was just at the store this AM after I first read this thread, a couple of things I've seen just today:

Bottle Orange juice: $2.29
    Boneless chicken breast: $2.19/lb
    Eggs: $.95
    White bread: $1
    Wheat bread: $1.89
    Wide egg noodles: $1.29 for a lbs
    Pasta sauce: $1.79 a jar
    Meatballs: $4 for 32 ozs
    Honey nut loops *cough Cheerios cough* $2.49 a box
    Generic meal bars (Obviously repackaged power bars): $1 each.

If you can't figure out how to stop buying name brands, start buying generics and start shopping outside of the high end grocer or convince store then that is your problem, not being unable to eat. I did it when i was first laid off due to what i now know is a disability (I can't walk most days) I ate a "meal bar" every day for either break fast or lunch, eggs for breakfast if i didn't, milk or OJ. Noodles and sauce or lunch meat sandwiches for lunch and always made a decent dinner of chicken breast, cheap "Steak" stew or cheap pork roast (Which once made would last for days.) I did NOT have a working oven, i used a microwave, slow cooker or toaster oven (Both cost me ~$30 combine at Big Lots on clearance) Yea with a slow cooker you have to prepare dinner when you eat breakfast or the night before but I ate damn good on frozen veggies, cheap meat and sacs of potatoes.

As to the actual topic of this thread? Good. You can currently buy energy drinks, candy, ect. You can, at places with non-itemized credit card machines, buy anything on them and thankfully the local cops in the areas i lived where that was an issue have cracked down and put several places out of business for it. The issue is that the people who are on food stamps should be using food stamps to help themselves (and applicable family members) survive and not buying energy drinks because they need the caffeine buzz anymore than they should be buying cigs or booze. Whats the difference between buying a single beer at a size pack store everyday and buying a monster everyday? They're both possibly addicting non-nutritional drinks right? I guess i should be able to go buy a single can of Guinness every day on my food stamp card then.

This is a great step in the right direction, no one can tell me that a king sized milky way has more nutritional value per dollar than a sac of frozen green beans.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets keep in mind that the price of eggs and milk is kept artificially low as part of the farm aid bill and was specifically included in the "fiscal cliff" deal.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

In theory that stuff is pretty bad in the way of nutrition so people should buy real food.

But it doesn't matter. You can always use it for anything anyway if you find the right place.
    Growing up I saw people use food stamps and their predecessors on tobacco and alcohol regularly.
    You just find a place that's shady enough to ring it up as "groceries", milk, or produce.
    The big chains stores would avoid any abuse, but there's always other places that are happy to make a sale.

And it doesn't mean they aren't allowed to buy junk food (the little debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies mentioned above).
    It just means other people don't need to buy it for them.

I'm sick of the attitude that if you can't get someone else to buy something, then you can't have it.
    Little Debbie stuff is delicious, but people should earn some of their own money to pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Its crazy, we wont drug test to allow people to get stamps, but we want to restrict the purchase of twinkies?
    Drug testing has already been proven to be a colossal waste of taxpayer money, and a box of snack cakes is $1.29. If the families on assistance want their children to have a treat that badly, they can purchase them. However, food stamps are for feeding your family to survive, not junk food purchases. I am in favor of restricting the use of food stamps to forbid junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    Pretty spot on for where I live too, though for some reason eggs are usually double that here. They vary quite a lot.

The other key is besides buying generic brands is looking for sales. You can modify your shopping every time based around sales. If it's at full price, ask yourself if you really need it (like most of the things you listed are pretty essential, but some other things may not be). If you have freezer space, buy extra when on sale, or if it holds well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    T
    Wow. You are good.

I wish I was able to eat these items - Celiac tends to be a stick in the mud. Plus Im a bit of a health nut- I need more fresh fruits and veggies.

You know what- They should have food education. Honestly. Think about it- spend a bit on educating the population that is on food stamps- people might be slightly more informed when they swipe that card.