Do you think this constitutional change would work?

Everytime there's a deployment of troops and engagement in war, it's put to a popular vote. Anybody voting "YES" also signs up as a willing soldier =) Let's let the 'true patriots' fight their battles, ye?

This is an absolutely awful idea, the people voting don't have nearly as much information available to them as those that need to make that decision. And as for the second part, you know there's not a draft in place, right? Your logic makes no sense.

Its not very smart to only start training soldiers when you are declaring war...

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You really think a popular vote would do shit? Seeing on average 40% of the population doesn't vote and there is no way the military is going to have all the 30+ year old non combat trained people who vote serve I think you dind't really think too much when posting your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You really think a popular vote would do shit? Seeing on average 40% of the population doesn't vote and there is no way the military is going to have all the 30+ year old non combat trained people who vote serve I think you dind't really think too much when posting your suggestion.
    More like 80-90 % for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    maybe he was way ahead of us... his next thread is a way to fix medicaid and social security!
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

No. Let me ask you this, do you think the President should fight as a soldier? What you suggest is to stifle somebody's opinion based on the idea that their life could be endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    No. Let me ask you this, do you think the President should fight as a soldier? What you suggest is to stifle somebody's opinion based on the idea that their life could be endangered.
    Not to mention that most people dont meet the physical requirements to be in the military.

The way we do it now is better. The government has a diplomatic problem. They weigh the options, military leadership tells them what they can do, and a decision is made. Besides even if the OPs method was used it wouldnt necessarily stop war. If only military people voted and voted yes nothing would be different. You cant force people to vote.

No, because you need to have a standing military ready to be deployed when you declare war or when you get attacked yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    Everytime there's a deployment of troops and engagement in war, it's put to a popular vote. Anybody voting "YES" also signs up as a willing soldier =) Let's let the 'true patriots' fight their battles, ye?
    How about before we go to war we get a declaration of war signed. I guess that doesn't happen anymore.

How about we just have a volunteer army, where folks can sign up to be a soldier if they want to?

Oh, wait...

It's a good idea on paper, but many of them I doubt would hold the qualifications necessary for that soldier role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

What about those who are unable or just unfit?
    Do they have no vote?

10+ Year Old Account
    You would never ever get the votes to go to war, since less than 10% of the public is military age or in military condition. Plus, training a new army every time you wanted to go to war would be a horrible idea.

If you want the idea to be better, you should say "What if only people who have served in the military could decide whether or not we should go to war?" Even then it's a bad idea.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-02-10 at 11:17 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    No. That would result in a great many physically incapable people fighting wars instead of those who are physically fit to do so. Above that, war should not be about popular opinion.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Worst idea ever
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

We don't fight wars anymore. We "enforce resolutions" such as when Obama launched missile strikes on Libya in Operation Odyssey Dawn.

The only difference is when a democrat starts attacking another country, most people don't care. When a republican does it, THEN suddenly the "antiwar movement" appears as if out of nowhere and its a crisis and we need to change the Constitution to keep those "evil" republicans in check.

The antiwar movement is just an arm of the democrat party. They didn't make a huge stink when Obama massed troops in Afghanistan beyond Bush levels. They didn't make a stink when US casualties in Afghanistan spiked to their highest level ever under Obama. They didn't make a stink when Obama was firing cruise missile strikes Libya. And they won't make a stink to change the Constitution now. Why? Because a democrat is in office. They only mobilize when its time to destroy a republican president.

There is no antiwar movement in the US. It is effectively 100% partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    The only difference is when a democrat starts attacking another country, most people don't care. When a republican does it, THEN suddenly the "antiwar movement" appears as if out of nowhere and its a crisis and we need to change the Constitution to keep those "evil" republicans in check.
    do what? we got spammed during the election with right-wingers raising hell about our part in libya. but i guess that must have been my imagination?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.