Thread: CISPA is back

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Here's the thing - you already have effectively zero privacy on the net. Anything that appears otherwise is an illusion.
    It's more about denying them the legal basis for spying and various other forms of invasion of privacy. "Them" being the standard array of politicians, corporate lobbyists and various other jackasses.

If the last two didn't pass, why would this one?

Can someone explain why ANYONE should be worried about this shit?

This information isn't going to be to used to go after Pirate Bay uploaders/downloaders. That information is already available and I'm sure, if you have been, your access is already being monitored. So can someone please explain why ANYONE needs to cry Wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Time to break out the pitch forks and torches again eh?
    Lets do it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Found this, not sure if it's the full text:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...2hr3523rfs.pdf

On-topic,

The only thing I get offended by is actions that do or proposals that would violate mine or other people's rights. Greatly offended I am indeed, and I knew this bill would come back in an ever more terrifying form, tweaked just enough that businesses would get on board.

Which brings me to my next point. A violation of one right is a threat to them all if left unchecked, because the underlying principles behind each are the same: that free peoples should be able to do as they please as long as they don't interfere with other folks' rights. Needless to say, people, this time I think we will be standing on our own. Start calling your reps and writing them letters, and emails, and be professional about it.
    A fitting avatar you have there But yes, this is true. Privacy and freedom are basic rights, not luxuries and it doesn't matter that they don't drag people off to jail who aren't doing anything wrong. If we allow even the slightest violation of these, it will open a door for the larger ones.

support the 28th amendment?

Deleted
    Funny how those who claim to be "the good guys" only have to use words like Terror and Copyright to completely dismiss peoples rights, the geneva convention and many many other things that they are so busy starting wars with "the bad guys" over.

What happened on 9/11 was actually that the terrorists won.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not Surprised. There was been quite a few of these bills in the past, and I'm sure there will be more in the future.

There is a german political cabaretist called "Volker Pispers" who portayed this phenomenon. He states that an actual terrorist has more rights than we (who all are potential terrorists).

LMAO, no one has yet to answer my question.

I take it no one has a good answer. Which means, to me, that it's rabble rousing. Unless, you're a hacker, terrorist, or a pedobear with kiddie pron, then I doubt you have anything to worry about. Your freely downloaded games, software, movies, and music will be fine, as it currently is now.

Your information is ALREADY available to those that would A) Need it B) Abuse it. It is already being done with the CURRENT laws and regulation. From what I understand, the law basically allows Corporations to give the information up on security breaches, without being held liable for damages.

For example, if Visa gets hacked. Then they have to give the information up to the Feds. Numbers, names, addresses and etc. This in turn, could lead to then information gathering on Credit Fraud/IRS evasion. So let's say, John Doe has more than one name, hides the information from the IRS, but because Visa got hacked. His information was turned in, bread crumbs lead to real name, and his account is Flagged, because he is committing Tax Evasion. Now John, then can't turn around and get his case thrown out, because that wasn't what the information was for.

Also if said hacking of Visa occurs, then it's possible that if Visa is within bounds of "properly regarding safety" and the information is stolen. Then you can't turn around and sue Visa because it isn't Visa "fault". Now this might be an issue for people. Then basically, a judge would then have to decide if Visa should be held liable for damages, on credit. Then each individual would have to sue the person responsible for the theft. Which could lead to some seriously fucked up court cases.

If you're a mostly stand up citizen. Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I have no idea why anyone with reputable actions needs to worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Funny how those who claim to be "the good guys" only have to use words like Terror and Copyright to completely dismiss peoples rights, the geneva convention and many many other things that they are so busy starting wars with "the bad guys" over.

What happened on 9/11 was actually that the terrorists won.
    in a sad way that is really true. one of their goals was to forever change the way the usa policies worked and operated and they did just that. a lot of our liberties we used to have our gone now.

wonder if this means sopa is on the way back as well?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-02-12 at 06:30 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    If you're a mostly stand up citizen. Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I have no idea why anyone with reputable actions needs to worry.
    A stand up citizen has cause to worry because those passing these laws aren't serving that stand up individuals interest. The wording in the bill is ambiguous and overwrites less ambiguous laws currently in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Ah, crap...

Here we go again....

This has been shot down enough already. This shit keeps coming around and around.... They need to get a fuckin clue.
    Rest assured, they will keep modifying it until it passes. And it will when people will be too apathetic to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Can someone explain why ANYONE should be worried about this shit?

This information isn't going to be to used to go after Pirate Bay uploaders/downloaders. That information is already available and I'm sure, if you have been, your access is already being monitored. So can someone please explain why ANYONE needs to cry Wolf?
    I believe the difference is in the following:

Current case:

You do something questionable online. Such as download a movie illegally.
    third party representing the company that made the movie finds out about it
    they contact the ISP which hosts your IP and send a cease and desist letter
    (They can't just get your information because it would require costly court fees/time, ISP's are required to protect your privacy)
    They must repeat this process 3 times before the ISP can do anything about it (EI shut your internet off)

After CICSPA:

Third party representing the company that made the movie finds out about it
    they contact the ISP which hosts your IP and they fork over your details for free, instantly, your ISP shuts your internet off for good and you go to jail as if a cop had arrested you on the street for public intoxication.

The tinfoil hat implication being that under the new law, things like patriot act could follow through, and your rights be stripped, not even so much as due process since you're a "cyber threat". You supposedly did wrong, they're the ultimate power, you pay hefty fines and go to jail for 5, 10, 15 years etc etc etc.

Additionally, things that aren't even remotely related to cyber threats could suddenly be deemed cyber threats since their definition is very lose, not to mention all the "hacking" software out there that could turn your computer into a cyber threat under their definition without you even knowing about it.

This may not be 100% accurate, but based on what I'm reading, that's the case.

What I'm getting from all this is, the internet is a big scary place, and the average dumbass consumer would rather tell their representative to 'DO SOMETHING' about how scary it is, than get educated and learn to navigate it themselves. That combined with the groups like the RIAA and the MPAA and so on that just want to literally murder every person who has ever done so much as listen to a song on their friends ipod for free.

So basically corporate greed + stupid people = Ultimate internet watch dog laws.

So we're going to continue to see this until one of them passes.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Here's the thing - you already have effectively zero privacy on the net. Anything that appears otherwise is an illusion.
    What this guy said. Just to make this a non spam post though -
    They won't stop pushing new bills through until one actually passes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I had a feeling that something would surface after their little stunt.

Government can be changed in two ways: through lobbying elected officials or through force. What Anonymous did was neither, and though I supported their reasons, messing with the front-end of a marginal government website is pointless and only gives enemies of freedom more ammunition to use.
    Meh must have been sleeping at the time. What did Anon do now?
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    I believe the difference is in the following:

Current case:

third party representing the company that made the movie finds out about it
    they contact the ISP which hosts your IP and send a cease and desist letter
    (They can't just get your information because it would require costly court fees/time, ISP's are required to protect your privacy)
    They must repeat this process 3 times before the ISP can do anything about it (EI shut your internet off)

After CICSPA:

Third party representing the company that made the movie finds out about it
    they contact the ISP which hosts your IP and they fork over your details for free, instantly, your ISP shuts your internet off for good and you go to jail as if a cop had arrested you on the street for public intoxication.

The tinfoil hat implication being that under the new law, things like patriot act could follow through, and your rights be stripped, not even so much as due process since you're a "cyber threat". You supposedly did wrong, they're the ultimate power, you pay hefty fines and go to jail for 5, 10, 15 years etc etc etc.

Additionally, things that aren't even remotely related to cyber threats could suddenly be deemed cyber threats since their definition is very lose, not to mention all the "hacking" software out there that could turn your computer into a cyber threat under their definition without you even knowing about it.

This may not be 100% accurate, but based on what I'm reading, that's the case.

What I'm getting from all this is, the internet is a big scary place, and the average dumbass consumer would rather tell their representative to 'DO SOMETHING' about how scary it is, than get educated and learn to navigate it themselves. That combined with the groups like the RIAA and the MPAA and so on that just want to literally murder every person who has ever done so much as listen to a song on their friends ipod for free.

So basically corporate greed + stupid people = Ultimate internet watch dog laws.

So we're going to continue to see this until one of them passes.

First off, Did you read the bill? Now, there isn't a third party firm group, that is going to be allowed access on the same level information as ANY government agency.

NSA Access to Data: Detrators fear that CISPA will allow for companies to hand over data to any branch of the government - including the military and the National Security Agency.
    CISPA offers "good faith" immunity to companies that identify and report a cyber-security issue to the feds.
    First off, there has to be a - breach of security - for any information to be passed. Which means, hacking, phishing, or any other sort of cyber-breach.

Now, how does that parallel to downloading movies, is what I am wondering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I would imagine it's simply a way to create a place for any corporation, business, or other entity that uses digital media that allows them to maximise how much money they can make from their products.

If you enact that law in America, and everyone stores and distributes their digital media there, then creates a hundred-and-one laws that stop anyone making anything similar, distributing it from outside the USA, or entering the market, you effectively have a monopoly. People will pay for neither quantity nor quality, they simply pay because there is nowhere else to get whatever is being sold.

That's my theory on why they keep trying to pass these bills, and why they won't stop being passed. When money is concerned, nothing will stop it.
    My sentiments exactly on these online mediation bills, this was never about "national security" or anything of the like in regards to protecting the nation, this was about money from the start, so they can go fuck themselves if they think this is going to fly without a fight.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol