Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Worth of Laurels

I was wondering about the worth of laurels (the new daily currency) and ended up looking at all the items we can currently purchase with them.

It's interesting to see that they would provide a wide variety of 'value' from the same amount of laurels (the crafting tier bags are a perfect example. Why buy the tier 1 bag when you can buy the tier 6 bag, sell the mats for a bit of silver and buy tier 1 mats with that?).

Turns out at the moment the best return you can get for your laurels would be 40s each, by selling the uniden. dyes. Obviously if you decide to open them and get lucky, that's a shiny bit of gold, but I like to talk about guaranteed money, or safer money. This also pokes the gear boxes away, due to them being potentially awful.

Obviously at the other end you have the stuff you can't sell, and the value that has to each person (ascended gear, tonics, pets.)

I found it interesting to compare what we've been given, though I would be surprised if we didn't get any new choices sometime in the future.

Whats your thoughts on Laurels and where do you see yours being spent?

10+ Year Old Account
    Laurels for me?

Dyes, dyes everywhere
    Arukas

Browsed the vendor in DR. Seemed mostly like fluff and fractal gear. I imagine if I ever get around to actually doing dailies, ascended gear would be the major sink.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-11 at 12:05 AM.

But there's only really a few pieces of ascended gear you could pick up, unless you want 13 different sets of gear. So where are they going after you've bought up all your amulets? ;P

I have 0 laurels and don't put any effort toward daily/monthly. So even 1 or 2 pieces would likely take me ages to acquire.

This is fine with me.

Deleted
    I am getting the acsended rings and amulet first, going for the one with all stats probably seems like the best choice to me as you get a much bigger total in stats than the others with bonus crit% and magic find ontop of that, granted not all stats are equally good but yeah doing that.

Amulet since A-net decided that instead of rewarding hardcore FotM players they get pushed into waiting 30days for the next item that can only (really) be used in FotM...

Has anyone found out what the stupid <Profession> GEAR boxes are for yet?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    yes

don't waste your laurels on them

10+ Year Old Account
    2 rares or a chance for an exotic.
    Saving mine for the amulet, then the pet.....or maybe the tonic.....or maybe the pet.....I don't KNOW!!!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Saving mine for the Amulet / Rings. Although it will take ages, i wish they were less expensive. If i ever get those Ascended items, ill buy Dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    yes

don't waste your laurels on them
    I still don't understand why they'd bother to call it "WARRIOR GEAR" instead of "SOLDIER GEAR" or "HEAVY ARMOR GEAR"... like seriously?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I haven't a clue. It really depends on what the cat tonic actually does and if Chauncy Von Snuffles is too adorable to resist. Ascended items are fairly low on my list, especially since as far as I know they're soulbound and not account bound. Other than that, probably dyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Amulet since A-net decided that instead of rewarding hardcore FotM players they get pushed into waiting 30days for the next item that can only (really) be used in FotM...
    Ascended gear is not Fractals based o.0. Just because on this patch they introduced Amulets somewhere else in the game but FotM it really doesn't mean anything. xD Soon it will be WvW, and so on..till back to FotM. O.0 I want the Amulet and I'm like level 7 on FotM.

I still don't understand why they'd bother to call it "WARRIOR GEAR" instead of "SOLDIER GEAR" or "HEAVY ARMOR GEAR"... like seriously?
    It's seriously easy. Gear doesn't means only armor, it means weapons as well.
    With that you can deduce that Warrior gear would come with rifles and long bows. While Guardian gear would come with scepters and staff and so on.

I hope they really come with a very small chance of getting pre-cursors.

To me ascended gear is about agony resistance, which only matters in FotM.

To me ascended gear is about agony resistance, which only matters in FotM.
    Right now it's only for fotm. When Mursaat are introduced, we'll probably need it for them too. There's not way to know when or if that's ever going to happen though.

I'll be getting the amulet first....if I can decide which character I want to give it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Right now it's only for fotm. When Mursaat are introduced, we'll probably need it for them too. There's not way to know when or if that's ever going to happen though.

I'll be getting the amulet first....if I can decide which character I want to give it to.
    and @ Meledelion.

Regardless it's still the best gear available. Which Directly makes it worth for WvW, Dungeons and everything else..
    Yeah it does have the agony slot but only if you wish even.
    Making it outside FotM also completely takes the worry of many. No gated content (Meaning you won't have to go get the rings first and then amulets in a higher level and so on).

I will be getting the amulet first too, nothing to do with FotM.

I get what you're saying, I just think saying "yea ascended gear only from fotm isn't fine, so let's make it even by putting another piece in and make it so you can only get it from something else".

Ascended gear never should've had better stats to begin with imo.

I get what you're saying, I just think saying "yea ascended gear only from fotm isn't fine, so let's make it even by putting another piece in and make it so you can only get it from something else".

Ascended gear never should've had better stats to begin with imo.
    But I think that's the point. Ascended gear is supposed to be all over (and will be eventually). It wasn't designed only for fotm, it just started there, sure it helps getting deeper there but that also restrain how much people will be getting further too, Which bring to what they will probably do (as they add more fractals) they add more ascended gear to IT (thus restraining how much you can get deeper and how much ascended is spread all around). I like ascended gear XD, since beginning I thought exotics being the top level sucked. But I dont really care either way.

I'm saving up for some of the gear, but it is SO hard to resist buying dye....