Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    [Anime] People's view on anime

    Note that im talking about the general population, obviously more people on here are accepting.

    I Have random hobbys(Tennis, video games, basketball/football, Art) theres people who love what you love and if they don't people either respect it, understand it, or dont care.

    But sense I got into anime, ive noticed people have this really arrogant view on anime and people who watch anime, da faq is up with it? If you watch anime your instantly flagged as "weird" probably suicidal, probably a virgin, probably a rapist who watchs tentacle porn, you dont take showers, you "live action" LIGHTNING BOLT type shit, and you have no social life.

    Like. Seriously? People have no issue watching lets say, family guy-But by god if you watch Death Note your this weirdo. If family guy is fine because its basically an animated version of the standard comedy show based around a family-Then whats the difference in something like death note, where its basically an animated version of dexter? The arrogance of people not even willing to give it a chance is ridiculous.

    Btw, if you just dont like it it's fine. Im not talking about you, im talking about people who instantly classify it as this dreadful thing.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 01:21 AM ----------

    Sorry, just wanted to vent. Ive been hearing stuff like this for a while but this group of preppy jackass's just pissed me off today when they were talking about this kid.

  2. #2
    yup, it's true.
    also, never, ever mention a cartoon that isn't an anime around those people. they will nerd rage on you hard for it.

  3. #3
    Epic! Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    1,619
    It has to do with what the stereotypical anime fan is perceived as. Until recently there was no such thing as a casual anime viewer. Before the internet and file sharing became as wide spread as it is now, the only ways to watch anime was to either buy a VHS or later DVD of one of the few series that had been licensed for distribution outside of Japan and that was a really small percentage of anime made, or to get a hold of a fan subbed VHS copy. The only way to get fan subs then were to borrow one from a friend and copy it or to go to an anime convention and get it there. Because of the amount of work needed to just watch anime, those that did were crazy obsessed with it and anyone who is crazy obsessed to anything is creepy and that was how every anime fan was viewed as.

    Now it is much, much easier to watch fansubs and there is a much larger percent of anime being licensed that way more people watch anime like they would any other tv series or movie, but the perception of anime fans as obsessed losers is still there. It is not nearly as bad as it used to be and in time will probably become more accepted of a hobby just like gamers and comic book fans. I would just try to not let it bother you. Getting upset or defensive about it will do nothing to change anyone ideas about what anime fans are like and may in fact just make matters worse.

  4. #4
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,726
    WELP i AM a virgin i don't always take showers(i spend alot of time at home alone so no point but i do before going out/having friends over) and i DO(or at leats did) enjoy some prettyc razy stuff.

    But MY big issue is when peoples ay act like because i enjoy anime and might quote a line very fitting for a situation that i am all kindsa crazy. What if i had been quoting shakespear or other famous things. Doubt they would be bitching then. Happened just the other day in these forums in fact.

    I watch anime because i like it. It dosen't define me. I also enjoy video games, fantasy novels, cooking, spending time with friends and helping others.

    But sadly it seems this stereotype is going to take time to go away..That or people are just trolling us.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    but the perception of anime fans as obsessed losers is still there. It is not nearly as bad as it used to be and in time will probably become more accepted of a hobby just like gamers and comic book fans.
    pretty much this.

    but how about you prove them wrong instead of just voicing your malcontent on mmoc? the main problem here is of course that the mainstay of the anime-followers that actively engage in the anime culture anywhere outside of Asia aren't exactly the coolest people you've ever laid your eyes on. but perhaps you should stop caring so much about what other people think and like what you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    What if i had been quoting shakespear
    yea man, people would be really impressed if you started quoting Shakespeare out of the blue! heard he's the epitome of cool literature.
    Last edited by adimaya; 2013-02-11 at 07:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    pretty much this.

    but how about you prove them wrong instead of just voicing your malcontent on mmoc? the main problem here is of course that the mainstay of the anime-followers that actively engage in the anime culture anywhere outside of Asia aren't exactly the coolest people you've ever laid your eyes on. but perhaps you should stop caring so much about what other people think and like what you like?



    yea man, people would be really impressed if you started quoting Shakespeare out of the blue! heard he's the epitome of cool literature.
    I can quote Shakespeare but i suspect you're the type we're talking about as well. I can also quote historical figures, some movies, music, tv shows, general media and so on.

    And i vary what i use by the circumstances.

    Also you'd be surprised how many classically cool guys like anime in secret.

  7. #7
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,719
    "The general population"? Well..I guess you could say "the general population" of Japan kind of likes Anime. Then there is "the general population" of strangers on the street that I could ask and they wouldn't know what Anime is. Their idea of animated stuff probably begins and ends with Walt Disney.

    So....why did you vent again? Because "somebody" labelled you as weird? How many must that be that you conclude "the general population has a retarded view"? And then are the Anime watching girls in my vicinity who think it is the greatest thing in the world to be called a weirdo suicidal goth virgin. ^^
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  8. #8
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "The general population"? Well..I guess you could say "the general population" of Japan kind of likes Anime. Then there is "the general population" of strangers on the street that I could ask and they wouldn't know what Anime is. Their idea of animated stuff probably begins and ends with Walt Disney.

    So....why did you vent again? Because "somebody" labelled you as weird? How many must that be that you conclude "the general population has a retarded view"? And then are the Anime watching girls in my vicinity who think it is the greatest thing in the world to be called a weirdo suicidal goth virgin. ^^

    We actually get alot of stigma more than you'd think.

    And actually alot japanse hate anime fans more than most people in america. While changing there is ALOT of stigma against otaku there.

  9. #9
    Hmm, I my self adnd lots of friends watch anime much or less but I have never had anyone thinking bad of somone watching anime around here. :S Most people barely even know what it is.
    Hmm only had one stupid co-worker here saying something like "-Cartoon is only for kids." so decide that next time he says that I'll give hime a nice "cartoon" to show his two doughters then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPpvGj4gqg perhaps

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,672
    For me, it seems to be the opposite. I get this dirty feeling when watching Western cartoons because the weeaboos have claimed Western titles to be not as good as Japanese Anime, stating reasons such as the animation style, and that Japanese seiyuu are supposedly better than the English speaking VAs for Western titles. And I don't even watch Anime more often in comparison.

    It maybe also due to how it seems like there are less "good" Western cartoons that have been put out. The only titles people seemed to have associated as good were Avatar: The Last Airbender, Adventure Time, and MLP. (although that title is it's own clusterfuck itself) While there seems to be too many "good" Anime titles to list down.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-02-11 at 08:20 AM.

    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

  11. #11
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    Hmm, I my self adnd lots of friends watch anime much or less but I have never had anyone thinking bad of somone watching anime around here. :S Most people barely even know what it is.
    Hmm only had one stupid co-worker here saying something like "-Cartoon is only for kids." so decide that next time he says that I'll give hime a nice "cartoon" to show his two doughters then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPpvGj4gqg perhaps
    ude justg o something crazy adult but not porn like Guyver can tell him it's like power rangers LOL. Maybe hellsing mention the Vampires.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 08:25 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    For me, it seems to be the opposite. I get this dirty feeling when watching Western cartoons because the weeaboos have claimed Western titles to be not as good as Japanese Anime, stating reasons such as the animation style, and that Japanese seiyuu are supposedly better than the English speaking VAs for Western titles. And I don't even watch Anime more often in comparison.

    It maybe also due to how it seems like there are less "good" Western cartoons that have been put out. The only titles people seemed to have associated as good were Avatar: The Last Airbender, Adventure Time, and MLP. (although that title is it's own clusterfuck itself) While there seems to be too many "good" Anime titles to list down.
    I've found that alot of american cartoons are getting better and taking more ques from anime. More serious plots less demeaning content and so on. Though i mainly watch action shows so there IS that.

    But i DID use to be like that only worse. I'd decry ANY american made media and so on. Most anime fans have a Weaboo phase but pretty much all of us grow out of it.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2013-02-11 at 08:26 AM.

  12. #12
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,260
    The good ones are becoming more and more rare. Latest animes are all about these ordinary school boys/girls with superpowers who battle thematic sets of enemies. And drama. Over 9000 points of dramatic tension. Last interesting thing I watched was "Welcome to NHK", but still nothing would ever beat Cowboy Bebop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

  13. #13
    Probably because it's perceived as immature.

    A lot of people are generally quick to judge and stereotype, it's nothing new really.

  14. #14
    Epic! Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    Hmm, I my self adnd lots of friends watch anime much or less but I have never had anyone thinking bad of somone watching anime around here. :S Most people barely even know what it is.
    Hmm only had one stupid co-worker here saying something like "-Cartoon is only for kids." so decide that next time he says that I'll give hime a nice "cartoon" to show his two doughters then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPpvGj4gqg perhaps
    Or you could give him something that is more mature and well made like a Satoshi Kon movie like Tokyo Godfathers or Millennium Actress or of course any Studio Ghibli movie like Spirited Away or Monoke Hime that might chance his opinion and not just something violent to prove a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    For me, it seems to be the opposite. I get this dirty feeling when watching Western cartoons because the weeaboos have claimed Western titles to be not as good as Japanese Anime, stating reasons such as the animation style, and that Japanese seiyuu are supposedly better than the English speaking VAs for Western titles. And I don't even watch Anime more often in comparison.
    I don't agree that anime is better then American animation as a whole, but I do agree with the quality of VAs. Not to say there are no good American VAs, just that VAs is Japan are paid more in line with live action actors/actresses where as American VAs are usually paid less then live action actors/actresses although that is changing as well since there are more and more high quality animated works are being made so they are hiring solid actors and paying them well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    The good ones are becoming more and more rare. Latest animes are all about these ordinary school boys/girls with superpowers who battle thematic sets of enemies. And drama. Over 9000 points of dramatic tension. Last interesting thing I watched was "Welcome to NHK", but still nothing would ever beat Cowboy Bebop.
    I disagree. Before anime became as popular as it is now outside of Japan, only a select few anime series would be picked up to be licensed so the ones that did were the best of the bunch and the bad or even average ones never saw the light of day outside of Japan. Now that pretty much every anime series each season is fansubbed, they are all being seen. There is still plenty of great anime being made, you just have to dig though the mediocre stuff to find it.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2013-02-11 at 08:56 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    ude justg o something crazy adult but not porn like Guyver can tell him it's like power rangers LOL. Maybe hellsing mention the Vampires.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 08:25 AM ----------



    I've found that alot of american cartoons are getting better and taking more ques from anime. More serious plots less demeaning content and so on. Though i mainly watch action shows so there IS that.

    But i DID use to be like that only worse. I'd decry ANY american made media and so on. Most anime fans have a Weaboo phase but pretty much all of us grow out of it.
    I used to be like, "all western animation is crap except for comedy stuff" but I grew out of that phase. Mainly it was some of DC's animated movies that changed my opinions. Thinking about it, it's only been like 2 years since I grew out of my "Weaboo" phase. Superman & Batman: Apocalypse made me go, "WTF, this is actually good!".

    I recently saw All-Star Superman, and I can honestly say it was better than most anime I've watched. I now curiously find myself on the other side of the fence, because from what I've noticed there's a stigma against Superman as either being cheesy as hell or being an overpowered Mary Sue with no depth.

    So I've decided to just say screw the haters. I like anime and comics and video games and western animation and anyone that thinks I'm weird or that my hobbies suck can go jump off a bridge. ^_^ So, on topic, OP don't let the haters get you down. They just don't understand what you see in anime, and it won't be easy to convince them to see your point of view.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  16. #16
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I used to be like, "all western animation is crap except for comedy stuff" but I grew out of that phase. Mainly it was some of DC's animated movies that changed my opinions. Thinking about it, it's only been like 2 years since I grew out of my "Weaboo" phase. Superman & Batman: Apocalypse made me go, "WTF, this is actually good!".

    I recently saw All-Star Superman, and I can honestly say it was better than most anime I've watched. I now curiously find myself on the other side of the fence, because from what I've noticed there's a stigma against Superman as either being cheesy as hell or being an overpowered Mary Sue with no depth.

    So I've decided to just say screw the haters. I like anime and comics and video games and western animation and anyone that thinks I'm weird or that my hobbies suck can go jump off a bridge. ^_^ So, on topic, OP don't let the haters get you down. They just don't understand what you see in anime, and it won't be easy to convince them to see your point of view.
    LOL similar for me but been more years since my weaboo phase ended. Like 3-4 i think.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! Descense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    5,128
    Depends what anime you watch. I find some retarded myself. For example:


    And good anime as:


    Probaly the anime haters seen a *weird or lame* version of it and they think all look the same. But its not true at all.

    Generaly i hate animes with romance + school + music + Ecchi + Slice of Life , but i like Action + Adventure + Shounen + Super Power + Sci-Fi + Space + Mystery + Mecha + Military + Police + Seinen


    The worst 1 so far that i watched was this:
    http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/chokk...isode-1-online

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Seventyseven sea's.
    Posts
    1,005
    Uhh..
    So you vented because _someone_ you present us as general population said something bad about a thing that he probably didn't know and its just a normal prejudice you encounter from time to time ?

    Always remember, the general population does not give a fuck what you like and what you are doing, period. If you can't take being called weird or something else because of a small group of people has this prejudice... well you could have harder problems.

    What really is annoying in the internet is the die hard people who defend everything they have a crush on.

    Everything they're own.
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

  19. #19
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I disagree. Before anime became as popular as it is now outside of Japan, only a select few anime series would be picked up to be licensed so the ones that did were the best of the bunch and the bad or even average ones never saw the light of day outside of Japan. Now that pretty much every anime series each season is fansubbed, they are all being seen. There is still plenty of great anime being made, you just have to dig though the mediocre stuff to find it.
    Blockbusters and comic book movies have also become more common - industry has actually grown, just like it did in the east. But in general, I'll have to agree with you on this. These days it just takes too much effort to sift through all the trash. That's the reason I haven't watched a single anime in two years or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

  20. #20
    Blademaster Holes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    48
    People focus on the bad, and there are a lot of examples of less-than-normal anime fanatics. You see all kinds of pictures with figurines, pillows, and then there's a whole anime genre based on adult content.

    There really isn't any other animated pornography (that I know of) that's as big as anime, or has a big following like anime. So comparing anime to say, Family Guy, is ignoring the 'dark side' of anime. You can look at Family Guy and associate it with cartoons such as the Simpsons, etc. You can look at anime and associate it with hentai, or you can associate it with DBZ, Pokemon, etc.

    The fact that anime has stuff like tentacle rape is enough to steer clear, or have a negative opinion on it.

    If you hear there are shootings in a certain area of town, you steer clear, even if that area isn't all bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •