Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
25
... LastLast
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is no evidence. Your little bubble cannot be used to extrapolate the whole world. Just because you're surrounded by trash doesn't make it that way everywhere.
    Who's to say that "study" wasn't conducted in a area full of "trash".

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    "The graphic overestimates the number of false accusations."

    "It is true that most rapes go unreported, that the public believes false accusations are exponentially more common than they actually are, and that a man's chances of being falsely accused of rape are incredibly small."

    I'm sure the author had the best intentions but it doesn't really change the basic validity of the graphic despite what the slightly misleading title lead MRA misogynists to believe.
    It's still incorrect in other regards. It assumes one rapist per victim (which the article states that it would be much more reasonable to assume 1 rapist per 6 victims), and assumes that 90% of rapes go unreported when in fact 54% go unreported by the government statistics cited in the link.

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Who's to say that "study" wasn't conducted in a area full of "trash".
    Sample sizes.

    You really need to read up on how these studies are done. Until then, you'll only come off as exceedingly ignorant spouting off anecdotal stories that aren't even verifiable as proof of how all women are.

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    "You don't do it"?

    I had a guy I said no to, get real pissed at me. Pushed me down and was holding me down and trying to get my clothes off, do you realize how fucking helpless I felt? I weighed 44 kg at the time, the guy was more than double my weight and like 30 cm taller than me. I wanted none of it, he was pissed for me not wanting to have sex with him and still wanted it. He stopped when he saw I was crying but still went too fucking far. I didn't dare saying no anymore after that for a long time due to fear.

    Exactly how do I "don't do it" if such things are in the back of my mind?

    Which is sadly a way too common situation for many women. And it's also a very hurtful in that when women are too afraid to say no they're basically being raped without the perpetrator actually realizing it. It's a part of what makes many rape cases so difficult and also why so many get away with it I think.

  5. #285
    Keyboard Turner njatosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    6
    Men are human as well as women are. As long as women and men are not treating each other as human instead of two different kinds it will never get better for either of them. In addition, feminismen isn't always about the womans rights only. It is also about the equality of men and women but most people doesn't know that because they never really were interested in feminismen. If find this thread really amusing since it is about a man that is hurt by the fact that many women are afraid of men in the dark. Good looking women are constantly annoyed by men everywhere they go (even if she is almost clothed like a nun). Believe me, some men say things to you, you really never wanted to hear of anybody. So maybe you should be happy, that some women are taking the other side of the street when they cross your way in the dark instead of confronting you with their somewhat ridiculous fear.

  6. #286
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mother Russia
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    "You don't do it"?

    I had a guy I said no to, get real pissed at me. Pushed me down and was holding me down and trying to get my clothes off, do you realize how fucking helpless I felt? I weighed 44 kg at the time, the guy was more than double my weight and like 30 cm taller than me. I wanted none of it, he was pissed for me not wanting to have sex with him and still wanted it. He stopped when he saw I was crying but still went too fucking far. I didn't dare saying no anymore after that for a long time due to fear.

    Exactly how do I "don't do it" if such things are in the back of my mind?
    I'm sorry for bringing back unpleasant memories. But still, how women intend to fight for rights if they live in fear? You may be weaker physically than most guys, but you can have equal if not stronger will. Can I ask you, that guy learned nothing from his actions?

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    95% yes, but not 100%. That's a 5% chance that the numbers are all wrong right? Which is the same as saying that the numbers could be completely wrong. It's still only potentials not definitives.
    No it isn't. It's saying the numbers are somewhere close to this. That there's 5% chance that the real number is even lower OR higher - NOT that the numbers are completely different. If it is in fact completely different, then why can't you or sorrorior or anyone else post ANY study that shows different? Because the numbers are broadly accurately and this drivel you're spewing about the margin of error is simply pseudo intellectual garbage.

    The point I'm trying to raise here however is that you should never use statistics that only show potentials as 100% truth.
    What a completely rubbish and meaningless "point". No one treats those statistics as "100%" definitely true. We don't need to. We have a high degree of confidence that the reality is somewhere close to the numbers shown, based on the available evidence. Either come back with actual evidence that it's wrong, or stop whining about its "potential" to be wrong. That you are trying to kick up a fuss based on the fact that nothing is ever absolute, shows just how intellectually bankrupt your side really is.

    Not to mention the sheer hypocrisy of complaining about "its still only potentials" when your whole argument is based on the potential for error while no definitive proof of any such error exist.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 11:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Perhaps i actually treat people properly and don't judge until feel i have sufficient information.
    Your history of bashing me as a "radical extremists just like my sister" every time you see me post is sufficient evidence for me. You have, again, never once showed any such "extremist world views" from me.

    Again you have a history of fairly biased posts.
    And again you have not shown a single post where I was biased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    just because i seem to be some kind of mysogynistic dick
    Hard to see you as anything else given your rabid hatred of anyone who is passionate about gender equality.


    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 11:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    It doesn't need to, I don't believe any "research studies" done for women by feminists. They are constantly skewed with Bias.
    How convenient for your preconceived beliefs.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-02-11 at 11:26 AM.

  8. #288
    Herald of the Titans Arganis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ruhenheim
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Which is sadly a way too common situation for many women. And it's also a very hurtful in that when women are too afraid to say no they're basically being raped without the perpetrator actually realizing it. It's a part of what makes many rape cases so difficult and also why so many get away with it I think.
    It's hard to have nothing but savory individuals in unsavory places. If you're somewhere where people come to get drunk, laid and do drugs, all while dancing around like chimps fling shit at the zoo, then you're bound to find a couple men who's idea of romance is indeed you passed out drunk, getting rammed without your consent.

    I'm sorry but morality is a two way street. You can't be live a dissolute lifestyle and then cry when the things that happen to you aren't rated PG.

  9. #289
    It seems to me a lot of men are more interested in self-victimization than showing some understanding for common sense and precaution.

    Like I said before, I am a large male, and in cold weather I wear an old army jacket and a black beanie. I know I can make a woman feel uncomfortable under the wrong circumstances. I don't feel bad or think she assumes I'm a rapist. It means I know that biologically she has a different set of ideas she has to work with in that dark parking lot or road than I have. I only get my hackles up if I see a group of punks walking around. Any single man or woman I have no logical reason to be fearful.

    So instead of getting all whiny and self-righteous, I actually try to make sure that woman has no reason to feel threatened. It can be anything, from making a phone call on my mobile, to jingling my keys and being as conspicuous as I can, to even just slowing up my walk some and letting her go further head of me.

    I can't ever understand what it's like to be physically smaller than a large portion of the population and fearing physical and sexual assault. But that doesn't mean I can't try to be accommodating and easing someone's worry.

  10. #290
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,559
    Quote Originally Posted by njatosa View Post
    Men are human as well as women are. As long as women and men are not treating each other as human instead of two different kinds it will never get better for either of them. In addition, feminismen isn't always about the womans rights only. It is also about the equality of men and women but most people doesn't know that because they never really were interested in feminismen. If find this thread really amusing since it is about a man that is hurt by the fact that many women are afraid of men in the dark. Good looking women are constantly annoyed by men everywhere they go (even if she is almost clothed like a nun). Believe me, some men say things to you, you really never wanted to hear of anybody. So maybe you should be happy, that some women are taking the other side of the street when they cross your way in the dark instead of confronting you with their somewhat ridiculous fear.
    These days because of super extreme feminists the term equalitarian is used. If i recall it right at least.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    And it's also a very hurtful in that when women are too afraid to say no they're basically being raped without the perpetrator actually realizing it.
    That excuse always sounds like garbage to me.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    It's hard to have nothing but savory individuals in unsavory places. If you're somewhere where people come to get drunk, laid and do drugs, all while dancing around like chimps fling shit at the zoo, then you're bound to find a couple men who's idea of romance is indeed you passed out drunk, getting rammed without your consent.

    I'm sorry but morality is a two way street. You can't be live a dissolute lifestyle and then cry when the things that happen to you aren't rated PG.
    So, any woman who goes to nightclubs, parties or bars is at fault if she gets raped? And people wonder why rape often goes unreported...

  13. #293
    Herald of the Titans Arganis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ruhenheim
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirjotusvihe View Post
    So, any woman who goes to nightclubs, parties or bars is at fault if she gets raped? And people wonder why rape often goes unreported...
    No, but you can't expect a perfect society. If you yourself have no moral compass, then I don't think it's fair to expect it of others.

  14. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I'm not sure that this threat really exists where I live. There are places one should avoid, specially at night. But not as much people I think. On the other hand, it's never wrong to be a little cautious
    http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/ja...rain-cars.html

    You must be very lucky. If i was a woman i would be scared to enter a Japanese subway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Iraq is the most democratic country in the Arab world, thanks to that war.
    The greatest political analyst MMO C has to offer.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    If you're somewhere where people come to get drunk, laid and do drugs, all while dancing around like chimps fling shit at the zoo
    I'm sorry but morality is a two way street. You can't be live a dissolute lifestyle and then cry when the things that happen to you aren't rated PG.
    What a disgusting mentality. Going to pub is not even remotely close to a "dissolute lifestyle". It is beyond contempitble for you to equate that to rape. It does not in anyway mitigate the moral wrongness of rapists, and your idea that rape victims there can't complain sickens me.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-02-11 at 11:34 AM.

  16. #296
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,559
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    No it isn't. It's saying the numbers are somewhere close to this. That there's 5% chance that the real number is even lower OR higher - NOT that the numbers are completely different. If it is in fact completely different, then why can't you or sorrorior or anyone else post ANY study that shows different? Because the numbers are broadly accurately and this drivel you're spewing about the margin of error is simply pseudo intellectual garbage.


    What a completely rubbish and meaningless "point". No one treats those statistics as "100%" definitely true. We don't need to. We have a high degree of confidence that the reality is somewhere close to the numbers shown, based on the available evidence. Either come back with actual evidence that it's wrong, or stop whining about its "potential" to be wrong. That you are trying to kick up a fuss based on the fact that nothing is ever absolute, shows just how intellectually bankrupt your side really is.

    Not to mention the sheer hypocrisy of complaining about "its still only potentials" when your whole argument is based on the potential for error while no definitive proof of any such error exist.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 11:23 AM ----------


    Your history of bashing me as a "radical extremists just like my sister" every time you see me post is sufficient evidence for me. You have, again, never once showed any such "extremist world views" from me.


    And again you have not shown a single post where I was biased.


    Hard to see you as anything else given your rabid hatred of anyone who is passionate about gender equality.


    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 11:23 AM ----------


    How convenient for your preconceived beliefs.


    I bash you because TBH as much as i TRY to be reasonable you say and come across as such an extreme feminist.

    I have seen people FAR more informed then myself counter your statements with valid evidence and you disregard them. And this thread ALONE shows your bias. People have offered evidence to even partially debunk your picture but you just ignore it and shrug it off. THAT is what gets to me. I will personally admit i am wrong when presented with proper information. but your sources tend to be quite biased or are easily read as such. As are most others. My problem is that this entire subject is so prone to bias on all sides that really almost any data one either side is questionable.


    And yes i admit i get too aggressive on occasion when dealing with you i also fully admit i can be wrong or stupid at times. We all can. But i get the feeling that your world views are set and nothing will change them and honestly that is one of my most unlinked character traits.

    So i AM sorry in some regards but all in all it's like oil and water. I just don't mix well with individuals such as yourself.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    No it isn't. It's saying the numbers are somewhere close to this. That there's 5% chance that the real number is even lower OR higher - NOT that the numbers are completely different. If it is in fact completely different, then why can't you or sorrorior or anyone else post ANY study that shows different? Because the numbers are broadly accurately and this drivel you're spewing about the margin of error is simply pseudo intellectual garbage.
    I'm gonna take this slow so that you might be able to understand.

    BECAUSE YOUR STUDY ALREADY ADMITS IT HAS AN ERROR MARGIN MEANS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO LINK TO A STUDY THAT SHOWS THAT YOUR STUDY HAS AN ERROR MARGIN.


    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What a completely rubbish and meaningless "point". No one treats those statistics as "100%" definitely true. We don't need to. We have a high degree of confidence that the reality is somewhere close to the numbers shown, based on the available evidence. Either come back with actual evidence that it's wrong, or stop whining about its "potential" to be wrong. That you are trying to kick up a fuss based on the fact that nothing is ever absolute, shows just how intellectually bankrupt your side really is.

    Not to mention the sheer hypocrisy of complaining about "its still only potentials" when your whole argument is based on the potential for error while no definitive proof of any such error exist.
    When you're dealing with things that affects people lives as much as rape does then the potential for error is in fact very important.

    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That excuse always sounds like garbage to me.
    It's not an excuse it's an issue.

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    No, but you can't expect a perfect society. If you yourself have no moral compass, then I don't think it's fair to expect it of others.
    You've got it backwards. This thread is about blaming women for living in fear. There's a different thread for blaming women for not living sufficiently in fear.

  19. #299
    Legendary! Sorrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    6,559
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    It seems to me a lot of men are more interested in self-victimization than showing some understanding for common sense and precaution.

    Like I said before, I am a large male, and in cold weather I wear an old army jacket and a black beanie. I know I can make a woman feel uncomfortable under the wrong circumstances. I don't feel bad or think she assumes I'm a rapist. It means I know that biologically she has a different set of ideas she has to work with in that dark parking lot or road than I have. I only get my hackles up if I see a group of punks walking around. Any single man or woman I have no logical reason to be fearful.

    So instead of getting all whiny and self-righteous, I actually try to make sure that woman has no reason to feel threatened. It can be anything, from making a phone call on my mobile, to jingling my keys and being as conspicuous as I can, to even just slowing up my walk some and letting her go further head of me.

    I can't ever understand what it's like to be physically smaller than a large portion of the population and fearing physical and sexual assault. But that doesn't mean I can't try to be accommodating and easing someone's worry.
    I'll often hold doors open or step aside for people myself. Apologize as well if say in a store and nearly running into them when leaving an aisle. It's always nice to be able to help others out IMO at least.

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    No, but you can't expect a perfect society. If you yourself have no moral compass, then I don't think it's fair to expect it of others.
    How on earth can you compare people getting drunk or being otherwise careless to raping someone when it comes to "having no moral compass?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •