Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I say hello. I'm not as strong as the *average* male.

Either way even I get a bit anxious at night. Yes I'm a single male.
    Don't ever feel bad about that, anyone who doesn't get anxious at night walking through anything but the best neighborhood in the world is probably a fool. When most people spout off about how they're not afraid to walk alone at night they probably don't realize just how easy it would be for someone to mug to them, disable them, or worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Don't ever feel bad about that, anyone who doesn't get anxious at night walking through anything but the best neighborhood in the world is probably a fool. When most people spout off about how they're not afraid to walk alone at night they probably don't realize just how easy it would be for someone to mug to them, disable them, or worse.

Oh I'm not ashamed or feeling bad about it. As much as I want to be that brave person that can stand up to anyone I do have fears. My area is goo but as a general rule the night just...puts me off edge.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    I get the strength thing but that is really no different than a mugger using a weapon.
    That's exactly why I used muggers in my example. You don't have be in fear of "everyone" to be fearful of running into a single mugger with a weapon. I have a feeling that many of the men here (by which I mean solvexx) are taking this whole fear of rapists thing too personally. Guys, it's not preconceptions about you that's causing fear; it's fear of an actual rapist. Don't get so mad over nothing.

Also i haven't looked at the stats, but aren't more rapes committed by someone the victim knows
    Yes, but unfortunately, lots of people are bad judges of characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's something terribly pretentious about being afraid of "rape" for no specific reason. Most woman aren't half as desirable as they think themselves to be.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted
    I get the strength thing but that is really no different than a mugger using a weapon.
    I don't think people quite understand the difference in strength in many cases. At 5'1 & 100 lbs I wouldn't be able to even stand a chance vs a fully grown man. Average guy would be able to restrain me rather easily without me being able to put up much of a fight.

so how do you go about avoiding it? this article that a person shared went on with all sorts, such as if in a lift make small talk with all the men, so you can get a good look at their faces because this will deter them(through the reasoning you will be able to give a sketch/pick them out).
    So from what you said its easier to assume the worst of all men to protect yourself?
    Keep distance, switch side of the street if not possible to keep distance, take other paths to get away from them. Really can't be bothered to list everything.

It's easier to keep away from them, yes, don't want that one you didn't keep away from to be a rapist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Average difference in physical strength.

You don't have to fear all men to be in fear. Do you constantly walk around thinking all residents of poor/bad neighbourhoods are addicted murderous muggers? No. That doesn't mean it's wrong to be apprehensive about walking, alone, in one at night.
    Packing heat is a fairly good equalizer, since it makes physical strength irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I say hello. I'm not as strong as the *average* male.
    If you're implying that I (am wrong to) think all men are potential rapists then you've misunderstood me.

Either way even I get a bit anxious at night. Yes I'm a single male.
    Yes, that's my point.

That's exactly why I used muggers in my example. You don't have be in fear of "everyone" to be fearful of running into a single mugger with a weapon. I have a feeling that many of the men here (by which I mean solvexx) are taking this whole fear of rapists thing too personally. Guys, it's not preconceptions about you that's causing fear; it's fear of an actual rapist. Don't get so mad over nothing.

Yes, but unfortunately, lots of people are bad judges of characters.
    so does this alter your behavior when alone with known men, or do you trust you a good judge of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    WTF OP, where the hell are you getting this from? I am a female who did my undergrad in Chicago (with the campus in a really really crappy part of the city--look up where U of C's main campus is) and I never worried about any of these things. And I'm 5'8 115 lbs soaking wet.

I carry mace and took a self defense course when I turned 16 and my dad taught me to shoot at an early age, I can handle myself and most able-bodied women can too.

You sound bitter. >.<

No, feminism has just fucked world views about men.
    Feminism was about equality, and all we got were women bitching about men.

Besides, all you women need to realise that no one wants to rape you.
    You're all high and mighty walking around thinking you're that desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Packing heat is a fairly good equalizer, since it makes physical strength irrelevant.
    It also makes fatalities much more relevant. But let's not turn every thread into a gun debate, it's incredibly annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're implying that I (am wrong to) think all men are potential rapists then you've misunderstood me.

No that isn't what I meant. I mean.... even a girl...could rape me if they were inclined to do so. >_>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    No, feminism has just fucked world views about men.
    Really, what is this "fucked world views" about men that I supposedly have, as an avowed feminist?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Man so much fear, too much tv. The truth is you shouldn't be afraid to walk around at night. To me any neighborhood where you should be afraid is bad neighborhood.

I mean isn't that why you fools love repression? You know that "other" that you hate so much that's getting free healthcare and food stamps off your dime? The same one who's lurking behind a bush at night to rape your obese daughter as she walk home from her night out "partying". Seriously humans make me sick.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

fear is healthy. the difference is whether you control it, or it controls you
    some people take caution to the point of paranoia, some people exaggerate other peoples caution in order to push their own agenda

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Man so much fear, too much tv. The truth is you shouldn't be afraid to walk around at night. To me any neighborhood where you should be afraid is bad neighborhood.

I mean isn't that why you fools love repression? You know that "other" that you hate so much that's getting free healthcare and food stamps off your dime? The same one who's lurking behind a bush at night to rape your obese daughter as she walk home from her night out "partying". Seriously humans make me sick.

Yeah well you make me sick to with your attitude. So we're even.

Warrior-Magi

There's something terribly pretentious about being afraid of "rape" for no specific reason. Most woman aren't half as desirable as they think themselves to be.
    Not being "desirable" is not a protection against rapists.

Because the media has hyped it up way out of proportion, and stupid people will believe it blindly. Sexual assault has dramatically dropped in numbers over the recent years, and the overwhelming odds (67%~) suggest that if you do get raped, it's going to be by someone you know. Not some random stranger.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics

Weed out the non rape sexual assault from that 200,000, and you're probably looking at around 75,000~ actual rape cases. Compare that number to the amount of females in the US (160,000,000), then down that number to 1/3 (remember 67% of rapes are from people you know), take the final value and multiply it by 365 days a year....

And you end up with something like a 0.0001% chance of being raped by a stranger while you walk home.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Because as we all know men who rape only targets those who are deemed as "beautiful", "good looking", "hot" and so on.

No.

10+ Year Old Account
    It also makes fatalities much more relevant. But let's not turn every thread into a gun debate, it's incredibly annoying.
    The very prospect of fatality I should think would deter any ne'er-do-well that might pray upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I don't think people quite understand the difference in strength in many cases. At 5'1 & 100 lbs I wouldn't be able to even stand a chance vs a fully grown man. Average guy would be able to restrain me rather easily without me being able to put up much of a fight.
    yeah, so its easier just to avoid to protect yourself. Are you more scared of stronger fitter looking men or just all in general. Would been 5'11 with broad shoulders(people always comment) and fit looking help to this they are stronger than me mentality.
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2013-02-11 at 07:16 AM.