Our Ele Shaman's DPS is low! Help please!

We were doing some heroic elegon attempts last night and I was pretty under-whelmed with his DPS. This occurs not just on heroic elegon but on heroic feng and most normal bosses as well. Here is a log (includes Feng):

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xz...?s=5549&e=5946

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...l/Kamak/simple

If someone could direct me to the correct rotation, reforging, gemming, stating etc that would be awesome so i can correct his DPS.

Here is another log from Normal Wind lord, he did die once, but i feel like ele shaman AoE should be higher than what it is:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gm...?s=1531&e=1952

10+ Year Old Account
    The two things I immediately noticed on the Heroic Feng log is he used Thunderstorm 12 times and only cast Fulmination 6 times.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../?s=855&e=1182

Here's my link from that fight, should help you to compare spell use ratios.

Edit: For Wind Lord, his aoe rotation just appears to be wrong and he only cast Ascendance once. On that many targets, it's EQ > Magma Totem (project totem is lovely for this fight) > Chain Lightning spam. I can't tell from the log if he's using the Chain Lightning glyph, but it's absolutely mandatory for this fight.
    Last edited by Arctorus; 2013-02-22 at 05:36 PM.

just looking through quickly, wrong weapon enchant, ele benefits from jade spirit more than other casters because we stack int while others can gem crit like a boomkin for example.

tauren is near useless for racials for dps as ele, it's not huge but when you stack blood fury/berserking etc with ascendance the dps is noticeable.

wrong leg enchant should be spirit not crit, allows for more spirit > haste/mastery reforging lowering crit.

herbalism isn't a very good profession for ele either, something like tailor/engy is much better.

lava beam on wind lord = no, 7 minute fight and 3 million lava burst damage done? he should have 3 ascendances in that time, he cast 17 lava bursts? thats truely terrible, i cast more on heroic and the adds are up for aoe forever so im casting CL 90% of the time, while normal mode adds don't respawn so you have a long phase of single target so he should casting much more lava bursts than that.

feng, 6 fulminations casts in a 6:30 fight...not possible with the worst rng and no set bonus should be higher especially with a CL phase on the adds, 55 lava bursts, he should of cast roughly 49.5 with 0 lava surges and no ascendance, with 3 ascendances and 36 lava surges, that alone should be 55 lava bursts, so i'd expect more like 80 lava bursts in a fight of that length not 55. but he only used ascendance twice not 3 times, should be at 0:00 3:00 and 6:00. unleashed flame used twice, but SWG used once...UF should never be used because you can cast lightning bolt and move. conductivity should be replaced with healing tide totem or ancestral guidance as a raid healing cooldown.

if i link something like http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y...?s=8516&e=8915

you can see the fight is 6:38 basicaly your fight length, now he only gets 23 lava surges, 13 less than your ele shaman, but he managed to cast 74 lava bursts, thats 19 more with much worse rng. which also made me notice your shaman has no stormlash damage, meaning none of your raid is getting stormlash totem, which they should of got twice throughout the 6:36 fight, each stormlash totem is like 1-3 million damage for a 10 man raid.

there's more i could dig into but im going to eat dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunker View Post
    Here is another log from Normal Wind lord, he did die once, but i feel like ele shaman AoE should be higher than what it is
    Actually, he died twice on Wind Lord - the first time he was resurrected by your Resto Druid and the second time he was dead for the remaining of the fight.

That said, I had a look at the other DPS and they are all at least 10 ilvls ahead of him.. His gear is quite low so it's not entirely surprising, not to forget that the itemization on some of his items is quite bad, too.

Also, he didn't cast Thunderstorm 12 times on Feng; it had 12 hits in total, because he used it on the Soul Fragments.

I had a quick look at his armory and the main things that I noticed are that he's not hit capped and his glyph choices are a bit odd (whether he did the entire raid with those or not, I don't know). Glyph of Unleashed Lightning would help him a lot already and that's a nearly mandatory glyph on most fights as it allows him to cast while moving. Furthermore on fights like Wind Lord, he should be using Glyph of Chain Lightning for optimal AoE.

You can use the Int/Crit Leg Enchant but especially with his gear and considering he's not hit capped, I would advise him to use the Int/Spirit enchant. Jade Spirit is better than Windsong on weapons for Ele's, but if not available (i.e. money is an issue or whatever, guild doesn't provide enchants, etc.) then Windsong can do - but it's not optimal.

Socialhealer also pointed out a lot of things that pretty much sum it up, he needs to pay a lot more attention to when things come off cooldown and his Lightning Shield stacks, which would really increase the amount of - as well as damage done by - Lava Bursts and Fulmination. There are quite a few add-ons out there to help him track these kind of things if he has issues with it (WeakAuras, for example).
    If he opts for WeakAuras, I can help him out with that if needed and/or send my aura's over - just PM me if wanted.
    Last edited by Valqt; 2013-02-22 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xVal View Post
    Actually, he died twice on Wind Lord - the first time he was resurrected by your Resto Druid and the second time he was dead for the remaining of the fight.
    ah thanks didn't think to look if he stayed dead, i dunno why you would show a log of someone not alive 95-100% of the fight, kinda makes it hard to analyse what he should be reaching :P

Quote Originally Posted by xVal View Post
    But also when you die you lose quite the damage, too. Moving to survive will mean a whole lot more later.

Gear, while being reforged correctly, has way too much mastery over the amount of Haste he has. He doesn't have much choice, but things will go better with proper haste.
    Last edited by Taoforums; 2013-02-22 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a quick glance at his armory...

Hit chance is under cap, however its not that far under so its really not a big deal. I'm under but I sim the highest at that point.

I noticed his haste is EXTREMELY low for his IL.

His rotation seems to be really, really off for nearly every fight.

I also noticed his FS uptime was ~95%. While that isn't low, its still not what it should be at. Like others have pointed out, he used EB 6 times on Feng. He had a noncrit LvB go off. There are tweaks he needs to make.

Whats the single target and multi-target rotation supposed to be?

Two great, simple resources to use. I know you can get more detailed with sims/theorycrafting and whatnot, but your shaman needs to start somewhere and this will help him learn.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/u..._council/kamak

and

http://icy-veins.com/elemental-shaman-wow-pve-dps-guide

As for single target rotation, he should keep Flame Shock up > Lava Burst on cd / Lava Surge procs > Elemental Blast on cd > Earth Shock at 7 stacks of Lightning Shield > Lightning Bolt as a filler.
    There's some more information on advanced useage of Earth Shock, but for now he should get the basics down first. Use Ascendance and Fire Elemental at the start and then on cooldown pretty much and if Fire Elemental is on cd, Searing Totem should be up. Earth Elemental for that tiny bit of extra dps. Also not to forget, Stormlash for that extra raid (and personal!) dps - I noticed he hasn't really been using that, either.

On AoE, it's Chain Lightning (used on the highest target) while keeping Magma Totem down (6+ targets). Earthquake can be used as well, although I personally don't use it, as I don't feel it's worth it nor optimal on most fights.
    For cleave situations, he can stick to the main rotation but just use Chain Lightning as a filler instead of Lightning Bolt.

That's really basic pretty much.. But I would recommend him to read through Binkenstein's Elemental guide, it would definitely be worth it - especially the rotation/cooldowns part:
    http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6829
    Last edited by Valqt; 2013-02-22 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    • -Under hit cap
    • -Wrong aim on stats
    • -Lazy basterd if he can't even get his blue items maxed upgraded by now
    • -Wrong glyphs (unleashed lighting isn't needed, but it sure helps a lot with mobility...pretty sure it always is a dps gain)
    • -Wrong rotation as others have mentioned
    • -Cheap basterd aswell if he cba putting up a good enchant on his weapon
    • -Wrong enchant on legs
    • -We are prob missing more then all of this...

I'm sorry but this guy does not have a clue about what he is doing...with so many errors I doubt it's even worth it helping him. At best you will get him to a mediocre level.

That said, good luck with wathever you decide to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Just a quick glance at his armory...

Hit chance is under cap, however its not that far under so its really not a big deal. I'm under but I sim the highest at that point.

I noticed his haste is EXTREMELY low for his IL.

His rotation seems to be really, really off for nearly every fight.

I also noticed his FS uptime was ~95%. While that isn't low, its still not what it should be at. Like others have pointed out, he used EB 6 times on Feng. He had a noncrit LvB go off. There are tweaks he needs to make.
    FS uptime should be 99% at least...I can't think of a fight except Will of the Emp where FS could drop.