How prevalent is 20 man raiding?

Was thinking about playing rift.

Use to play wow, one of the things i disliked about wow before i quit was the pressure (more difficulty without the better rewards) to switch from 25man to 10man. Unfortunately ive never really enjoyed 10man raiding, as ive always felt that 25man was way more "epic."

So, with that in mind, is the 20 man raiding scene healthy?

10m and 20man raiding is pretty much how Karazhan and Zul Aman was to SSC/TK and Black Temple/Sunwell, they are completely different and not the same instance with different difficulty.

10man raids in Rift usually come out a few months after the 20man raid came out with the same item level, to fill out slots of gear, like weapons or rings/necks and stuff like that, its basically..chance for extra loot for those that werent lucky in the 20man raids, while giving out new content for everyone.

What i am trying to say is, 10mans arent a raid progression themselves in Rift, even if people try to make them, they are just there to fill item slots and they usually appear 2-3 months after the 20man has released, the actual "epicness" is the 20man raids.

I havent played Rift since May 2012, but considering its only the ~4th month after the expansion and stuff i read the game is doing fine in its own way..I am not sure how healthy the guilds are, but i think there are enough out there to interest you, if you can catch up in time.

If you are from USA you will have no trouble since the US servers are pretty much all overpopulated as far as it seems, while the EU ones are the same as always, 1-2 full, rest at low as it has been for a year now ;p
    Last edited by potis; 2013-02-11 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    If you are from USA you will have no trouble since the US servers are pretty much all overpopulated as far as it seems, while the EU ones are the same as always, 1-2 full, rest at low as it has been for a year now ;p
    to clarify, There are four English speaking European Realms - the lower two are RP and PvP realms. of the two french realms, one is medium/high and of the four German, two are medium/high.

European Realms are not as populated as their US counterparts for sure, but they are by no means barren :P

My experience on both Icewatch and Blightweald EU is that every guild - even the most social, raids 20 mans at least on a casual basis. as Potis said, the 10 and 20 man raids are not the same whatsoever.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Yes, the 20 man raiding scene is healthy.

There is no 10 / 20 man version of the same raid in Rift. 10s and 20s are each their own unique raid- with each their own bosses and loot.

One can not raid 10s entirely and be geared out fully. You have to run everything Rift.

Rift 20man raiding at the moment is an utter and complete joke. When I led Maximation, a lot of raiders stopped showing interest because of the lack of competition from other top end guilds. They were right. Amazingly talented guilds like Voodoo, No Quarter, and Breaking Bads having left the game pretty much kills it for any true hardcore competition left in the game and Addiction is a joke of its former self. There are truly 3-4 guilds worldwide that can compete anymore and that's a damn shame. Trion should put down this dog of a game before the suffering gets to be too much to bear.

Think it's pretty much impossible for any MMO to try to complete with World of Warcraft in prestige / competitive raiding. It really comes down to numbers. There will likely never be another MMO with a raid based endgame as popular as World of Warcraft. Regardless of the quality of raiding [good or bad] in Rift, TSW or SWTOR or whatever else is out there.

The big guilds, the scene, are in WoW.

That's no slander against Rift/SWTOR/TSW. Just can not realistically ever except the same degree of "scene" Warcraft generates in MMOs not called World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neonsheep View Post
    Amazingly talented guilds like Voodoo, No Quarter, and Breaking Bads having left the game.
    So, your very first post on a 99.9% WoW dominated site and in a different game's out of the way sub forum is this?

Any attempt at "credibility" stopped as soon as you mentioned certain Guilds (except Voodoo they just got emo over Laethys), banned from the game for exploiting and just been muppets in general, good riddance

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    So, your very first post on a 99.9% WoW dominated site and in a different game's out of the way sub forum is this?

Any attempt at "credibility" stopped as soon as you mentioned certain Guilds (except Voodoo they just got emo over Laethys), banned from the game for exploiting and just been muppets in general, good riddance
    You got a link to anything that says NQ have been banned? Because they've always said they had temp bans, with 1 permanent ban to a guy who got a second account straight away.

He's right in a sense though, the high end raiding scene in Rift isnt in a great state. The top guilds seem populated by douchebags who argue with each other or pull off dick moves like using the cross server raid thing to swipe all the server firsts on each shard in one raid (before anyone moans about NQ doing it, both Game Over and Favouritism pulled it off before them, the latter purposely screwing over a server to try and "troll" one guild). We've had bugged specs causing people like Vioarr to say that some guilds kills are worth less, and generally lots of finger pointing and calls of cheating all over the shop. Add to that bosses that have been mega bugged like Crucia, or ones that have had massive exploits available like Regulos or Matriarch, and people stop caring as much. This isnt including the drama from ID either.

Its a shame because raiding is good in Rift, and if you raid for your own enjoyment and not to see if you are better than other guilds, its great. But the top guilds do little to make it look that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Ya''ll should probably lay off the "I have no respect for NQ" stuff. Not only does it sound super silly from non progression, competitive raiders-- of which there are about 160 or so players in Rift. But also guild drama / naming & shaming is not super awesome discussion on the forums.

I am sure Spaky, Mistical, Myrkul and company are just crying in their corn flakes some dudes on a sub forum of a World of Warcraft site lost faith in their Reg kill or whatever.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    The top guilds seem populated by douchebags
    From my experience, it is that way in many games, not just Rift. And (not directed at you, moreso the 1-post neon guy who supposedly ran Maximation) saying that raiding in Rift is a joke because people aren't being competitive about it so they can slap other people in the face with a massive e-dick, is completely retarded. "Top end guilds" do not make or break a game's raiding. The raids themselves do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Any attempt at "credibility" stopped as soon as you mentioned certain Guilds , banned from the game for exploiting and just been muppets in general, good riddance
    No, they weren't. 1 was p-banned and it was because he already had 2 previous strikes. 3 others had 72-hour suspension (2nd strike). Anyone else was just warned. Loot and marks for one month wasn't taken away, we weren't p-banned, most were playing the same night as this happened. Now people can actually quote me with direct facts instead of whatever rumors are being fed.

-

The raiding scene is really great if you aren't vying to be a top guild. People are less inclined to sling poo at you.
    Last edited by Cupcaek; 2013-02-18 at 06:04 PM.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcaek View Post
    People are less inclined to sling poo at you.
    Well when you go around exploiting at every opportunity and registering web domains just to spite other players, what do you expect?

Welcome to the internet, where everything you do is recorded forever to remind everyone what kind of person you are, no matter how hard you try to delete it

20m raiding is alive and well. 10m raiding is pretty much PuGable already and will more than likely remain that way. Most raiding guilds only advertise their progression in 20m or are 4/4 10m trying to get enough to get into 20m. 20m is where it's at, always has been always will be thanks to them not having 10m versions on 20m raids. It is one of the largest differences in raiding compared to WoW. 1 difficulty/size per raid.

As for people being jerks in top end guilds, that goes in any game. TBH, other than the people that post here that are in some of those guilds, I couldn't tell you the names even of the top guilds, much less the players. I could really care less who gets world first and who fights with who and who does what. Unless you post on forums frequently(which is not the majority of the playerbase) most people won't know or care who they are anyway.

Deleted
    I'm currently on Icewatch (EU) and the raiding scene is pretty solid over here, I think there are around 10-15 guilds actively raiding 20 man content and even more guilds trying to get into the 20 man raiding scene, there have also been a rise of pugs and weekend runs for example 'IFAP' - Icewatch Friday Alt Pug, which is always a good laugh, currently having the time of my life raiding with the guild and doing the friday night pug and really looking foward to what the next tier of raiding has in store =)

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcaek View Post
    Now people can actually quote me with direct facts instead of whatever rumors are being fed.
    As Tariens aforementioned post states, You can't handle the facts.

Alright, so here's the deal guys.

This guild vs. guild drama needs to stop. Permanently. If you want to go at each other, there are other places to do so. This is not the place. I don't want to have to hand out infractions (I don't like doing it either), but this nonsense needs to end. No more leniency with this, if you go after another poster for their guild affiliation, or their guild, you're going to get an infraction. So please, play nice.