Thread: CPU advice

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Post CPU advice

I've been thinking for a while to upgrade this CPU but like everyone else with this economy money is tight as hell and i`m still debating if i want AMD or INTEL for games in general. So far in this PC atm i have a crappy Nvidia GT 220 and i have in the house a EVGA GTX 560.

My current config

CPU: Intel Dual Core E5700 (775) @ 3.0
    MB: Asus P5G41T-M LX
    Ram: Kingston 99U5403 4G DDR3 (8-8-8-22)
    HDD1: Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40016 2M buffer 40GB (Only running windows)
    HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 160815 SATA 8MB buffer (Running games from this HDD)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 DDR3 128 BUS @ 1GB

My problem right now is newer games like Tera, World of Tanks, even in WoW is kinda struggling and was wondering what i should upgrade in this pc to get some decent performance or at least what to upgrade first. Any advices?
    Last edited by mmocca825307f3; 2013-02-11 at 10:46 AM.

Plug in the new graphics card, GT220 is hopeless shit.

If you still need more speed after that, it's time to replace motherboard+CPU that are now around five years old. That processor is definitely gimping you in WoW, especially in raids, but the graphics card is bigger disaster atm.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have in the house a EVGA GTX 560.
    I'm not sure what this means, exactly. Do you have it just like.. sitting around doing nothing? Or is it in another computer? Is there a reason you -havent- popped that in? It's a fairly decent card.

But yeah, after that, time for an upgrade. Your best bet at that time is looking at a board/cpu combo, which can run anywhere from $200 (i3/B75 combo) to $340 (i5/Z77 combo + OC cooler). Of course, there are options in between. You may also be looking at a ram upgrade as well, but ram is relatively cheap.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not sure what this means, exactly. Do you have it just like.. sitting around doing nothing? Or is it in another computer? Is there a reason you -havent- popped that in? It's a fairly decent card.

But yeah, after that, time for an upgrade. Your best bet at that time is looking at a board/cpu combo, which can run anywhere from $200 (i3/B75 combo) to $340 (i5/Z77 combo + OC cooler). Of course, there are options in between. You may also be looking at a ram upgrade as well, but ram is relatively cheap.
    No it's not mounted in any pc atm since i took it down since i started hearing some grinding noise in the fan and i took it out to clean it and kinda forgot about it.. the pc had an open case since last summer since it was kinda hot and sitting on the floor kinda builds up a lot of dust

Deleted
    I know most people prefer Intel CPUs, but honestly, you can get good performance for a for cheaper price with AMD. For instance, I have an AMD Phemon II X6 1090T and it runs all but the newest games (thinking far cry 4 etc...) flawlessly. If budget is your concern, look for AMD. If top end performance is your concern, and money isn't much of an issue, go intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Forleyn View Post
    I know most people prefer Intel CPUs, but honestly, you can get good performance for a for cheaper price with AMD. For instance, I have an AMD Phemon II X6 1090T and it runs all but the newest games (thinking far cry 4 etc...) flawlessly. If budget is your concern, look for AMD. If top end performance is your concern, and money isn't much of an issue, go intel.
    To expand some basic ideas on this

If you're looking for upgrade possibilities later down the line, grab a 1155 socket motherboard and slap a meh intel chip in there, then if you want to upgrade it later you have the best options available to you, if you're not fussed you can drop the same money on an AMD and get slightly more for your money but with slightly less future proofing

10+ Year Old Account
    In times where I can get a high end CPU for around 200 Bucks, I wouldn't bother with El-cheapo AMDs at all.
    Just get a decent 1155 Mobo and a 3570K and forget about CPU bottlenecks for the next 5 years.

I wouldn't recommend a 6 core for gaming, its actually slower than a quad core.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    In times where I can get a high end CPU for around 200 Bucks, I wouldn't bother with El-cheapo AMDs at all.
    Couldn't say it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    If you're looking for upgrade possibilities later down the line, grab a 1155 socket motherboard and slap a meh intel chip in there, then if you want to upgrade it later you have the best options available to you,
    Just get a decent 1155 Mobo and a 3570K and forget about CPU bottlenecks for the next 5 years.
    Bad idea. Intel supposedly releases next processors in May-June which will again require new motherboards. I would push back all upgrades until then for best future upgradeability.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    AMD 8350 - £152.99 - 9153 Passmark score

Intel i7 3570K - £165.14 - 7143 Passmark score

As I said - pound for pound, AMD are far better value for money. But on the flipside, there are many, many more powerful intel processors out there if you have the money to spend.

I would also agree with the comment about future proofing: If you're looking at options later down the line, it won't do you any harm at all to have a socket 1155 MoBo. Hard to predict the future exactly, but if I was planning on buying a rig now to upgrade later, it would be a mid-range intel. If I wasn't too fussed, and wanted a good powerful cheap rig, it would be AMD all the way.

As I said - pound for pound, AMD are far better value for money. But on the flipside, there are many, many more powerful intel processors out there if you have the money to spend.

I would also agree with the comment about future proofing: If you're looking at options later down the line, it won't do you any harm at all to have a socket 1155 MoBo. Hard to predict the future exactly, but if I was planning on buying a rig now to upgrade later, it would be a mid-range intel. If I wasn't too fussed, and wanted a good powerful cheap rig, it would be AMD all the way.
    Oh please, passmark score? Are you discussing a gaming rig or a workstation? If all you do is heavily threaded rendering and such the AMD is a better choice otherwise the Intel is far superior when it comes to gaming.

Also socket 1155 is already dead, in a few months the new generation of Intel CPUs will be released and socket 1155 will have to join socket 1156 and the rest as history.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-11 at 02:07 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Just a thing there... the Intel I5 3570k is a lot better than the AMD 8350, and you can get that for around 200 dollars (nevermind you wrote wrong and the one you have linked is the I5 3570k price wise, so 165 pounds). And i do mean a lot better. My brother a computer where he bought the AMD because he needed it for something with his studies, while he already had an I5 3570K. The AMD is better at stuff like photoshop and video proccesing, but the Intel wrecks the AMD in terms of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Oh please, passmark score? Are you discussing a gaming rig or a workstation? If all you do is heavily threaded rendering and such the AMD is a better choice otherwise the Intel is far superior when it comes to gaming.

Also socket 1155 is already dead, in a few months the new generation of Intel CPUs will be released and socket 1155 will have to join socket 1156 and the rest as history.
    I would beg to say that my I7 3770K will be able to keep up with gaming for quite a number of years from now, so i would not really call it "dead". And we have no way of knowing the price range for the new releases.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2013-02-11 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Erm we're discussing gaming rigs here, or did I miss something?

If you want heavy multi threaded tasks You either buy a 3770K or make the jump to that ridiculously overpriced 2011 platform.

Do we even have an ETA for Haswell yet? Giving how they delayed and delayed Ivy... could still take awhile.^^
    Last edited by Granyala; 2013-02-11 at 02:12 PM.

9153 Passmark score
    Pissmark is just as useful for measuring gaming performance as the socket's pin count.

It's an ancient multithreaded test which does not measure multimedia performance or single thread performance in any meaningful way. Basically it only shows what processor runs excel fastest.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I would beg to say that my I7 3770K will be able to keep up with gaming for quite a number of years from now, so i would not really call it "dead". And we have no way of knowing the price range for the new releases.
    The socket is pretty much dead when it comes to future proofing, yes the CPUs are still powerful, even a socket 1366 CPU is plenty powerful for most things but it doesn't change that it is pretty much stupid to buy one for "future proofing".

The pricing will stay about the same it has been for the last 2-3 generations. Around $225 for top of the line i5, add around $100 for a i7.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 03:16 PM ----------

Do we even have an ETA for Haswell yet? Giving how they delayed and delayed Ivy... could still take awhile.^^
    June 2, just before Computex.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    The socket is pretty much dead when it comes to future proofing, yes the CPUs are still powerful, even a socket 1366 CPU is plenty powerful for most things but it doesn't change that it is pretty much stupid to buy one for "future proofing".
    Since Intel in general only keeps sockets around for ~2 Years and the power gains in between the releases are mere small increments... I think that whole "future proofing argument" is way overrated.

Besides: they seem to be focused on improving that horrible iGPU of theirs more than anything else.

Deleted
    OK, forget passmark then, lets look at cinemark11: FX8350 comes out on top marginally. 3Dmark11: 3570K comes out on top marginally. Really can't be bothered to go into each and every benchmark out there.

All I am saying is if you like intel so much, good for you. I use AMD and I like that. AMD does provide the best value for money, intel are far more powerful but more expensive.
    I should've known not to mention alternative's in the fanboi-dom that is the internet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Since Intel in general only keeps sockets around for ~2 Years and the power gains in between the releases are mere small increments... I think that whole "future proofing argument" is way overrated.

Besides: they seem to be focused on improving that horrible iGPU of theirs more than anything else.
    They are focused on power consumption and that horrible igpu because like it or not the money is in the mobile market now days and at the end of the day they are a company out to make money.

OK, forget passmark then, lets look at cinemark11: FX8350 comes out on top marginally. 3Dmark11: 3570K comes out on top marginally. Really can't be bothered to go into each and every benchmark out there.

All I am saying is if you like intel so much, good for you. I use AMD and I like that. AMD does provide the best value for money, intel are far more powerful but more expensive.
    I should've known not to mention alternative's in the fanboi-dom that is the internet...
    If you want to use Cinemark as a benchmark for gaming you have to look at single threaded performance where 3570k beats FX-8350 with about 40%. Even then it is a bad test for gaming performance.

In a GPU heavy game the performance difference between 3570k and FX-8350 is rather small but when it comes to CPU heavy games the single threaded performance of a 3570k is a lot higher than a FX-8350.
    AMDs architecture just lacks in IPC and stand no chance in core per core performance.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-11 at 02:28 PM.

Deleted
    As has been noted, Socket 1155 is on its way out. From a purely 'getting the best out of my current system' without worrying about upgrade paths I would recommend taking a quick look around for a well priced second hand Q6600 core 2 quad core and a decent little heatsink and fan for it. My spare build has a Radeon HD5850 graphics card in it which is similar to the GTX560 and the Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz drives it with no problems. Would keep your costs to an absolute minimum just so long as you realize that you could use a new build in a year or so when the new generation of processors and boards are released. Just please make sure that your PSU is up to the challenge of handling that GTX560 over the tiny power used by the GT 220, too many people forsake the PSU and the results can be disastrous.