Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    It's all lies. God actually sacked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grucky View Post
    Read the Old Testament. When God sacks somebody, everybody knows that's what happened. Although if we hear the Vatican has started exporting salt you may be on to something.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Catholic Church doesn't treat the bible literally as other Christian faiths do.
    What new message could a religion bring? I mean there is nothing new to talk about. The religion hasn't changed.

For those wondering:

The Cardinals will get together and elect a new Pope; same election system as before (with the smoke and whatnot).

Back when JP2 died, I had equated Benedict's ascension as analogous to the Soviet Union in the 80s: Reformer (Andrupov/JP2), Old Conservative to appease the hardliners who disliked what the reformer did (Chernenko/Benedict), and then, of course, Gorbachev. Not sure if that's the case here, I guess we'll find out.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grucky View Post
    The pope's agent was seen in Mecca. He's getting a free transfer to Islam.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm expecting a Amazing Atheist video on this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What new message could a religion bring? I mean there is nothing new to talk about. The religion hasn't changed.
    That's completely untrue.
    Every religion changes, and religions change quite drastically. Since they are so numerous, and, especially, religious followers are so numerous, religions are thé mutable memetic life form. No idea changes as radically as religion does.

That having said, the faith itself remains pretty much the same (edit: Or rather, the faith in the personification remains the same, though the attributes ascribed to said personification change drastically; an example here is the wrath and even pettiness of the Elohiim in several books of the Old Testament, and the love, patience and unyielding compassion of that same deity in more recent works)... But dogma especially is prone to change. Things followers may or may not do. For instance: Divorce, fish on friday, condoms, homosexual marriage ceremonies in Church... All of those things have changed quite drastically in the past (or are going to change quite drastically in the near future, depending on your location).

A new figurehead may mean new, more modern implementation of customs.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-02-11 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    what does he actually do?

This could be good for the entire world. Benedict's been far more conservative than John Paul, his policies of protecting child molesters has hurt quite a few people, and his advocacy against basic sexual protection is quite evil. Perhaps they can select someone that doesn't desire a return to the Middle Ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    That's completely untrue.
    Every religion changes, and religions change quite drastically. Since they are so numerous, and, especially, religious followers are so numerous, religions are thé mutable memetic life form. No idea changes as radically as religion does.

That having said, the faith itself remains pretty much the same (edit: Or rather, the faith in the personification remains the same, though the attributes ascribed to said personification change drastically; an example here is the wrath and even pettiness of the Elohiim in several books of the Old Testament, and the love, patience and unyielding compassion of that same deity in more recent works)... But dogma especially is prone to change. Things followers may or may not do. For instance: Divorce, fish on friday, condoms, homosexual marriage ceremonies in Church... All of those things have changed quite drastically in the past (or are going to change quite drastically in the near future, depending on your location).

A new figurehead may mean new, more modern implementation of customs.
    I think it's more like people need someone to follow/tell them how to live and what to do. I am not one of those people and could care less if there was ever another pope or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
    You don't see it because you are an atheist and are pro atheist . To anyone none ahtiest this thread is very insulting . Sorry you cannot comprehend that.
    Christianity itself is insulting to so many things on so many levels, no amount of blasphemy comes even close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    what does he actually do?
    Protects priests who molest little boys from going to jail by paying off the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    For those wondering:

The Cardinals will get together and elect a new Pope; same election system as before (with the smoke and whatnot).

Back when JP2 died, I had equated Benedict's ascension as analogous to the Soviet Union in the 80s: Reformer (Andrupov/JP2), Old Conservative to appease the hardliners who disliked what the reformer did (Chernenko/Benedict), and then, of course, Gorbachev. Not sure if that's the case here, I guess we'll find out.
    The catholic church is not in a good place right now.
    The church has been having a great deal of trouble holding onto members.

They're going to have no choice but to reform and re-adapt their approach to many issues if they want to continue to exist in the coming century and beyond.

I think it's more like people need someone to follow/tell them how to live and what to do. I am not one of those people and could care less if there was ever another pope or not.
    I am not one of those people either, but I do know that not all people with religious beliefs need someone to follow/tell them how to live.
    Religion is here to stay. There's already been tests that show that religious people are biologically inclined to hold such beliefs. And since it affects a lot of people directly, it also affects you and me. What an old pope had to say, and a new pope will be saying, is important to a hell of a lot of people. And therefore, it's important to those of us who don't feel any affiliation with religions as well.

I hear that he say "god is dead" in December 2012, but I still cannot find any video about it (they probably remove it, but still if someone have source then plz pm me). Anyway if a head of church say something like that, I have hope more people will wake up and stop listen to lies from Vatican (no offence anyone).

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I am not one of those people either, but I do know that not all people with religious beliefs need someone to follow/tell them how to live.
    Religion is here to stay. There's already been tests that show that religious people are biologically inclined to hold such beliefs. And since it affects a lot of people directly, it also affects you and me. What an old pope had to say, and a new pope will be saying, is important to a hell of a lot of people. And therefore, it's important to those of us who don't feel any affiliation with religions as well.
    Nothing a pope can say will change my life in any way sorry.

Nothing a pope can say will change my life in any way sorry.
    That might be wrong; a more moderate or even liberal pope would potentially move the Church on some basic issues that could make a relevant difference in the politics of several countries.

Catholic Church teaches Evolution. Pope Pius Something-or-Other actually embraced the Big Bang Theory* before many scientists were onboard (according to Stephen Hawking). Theologically, the Catholic Church stopped teaching Limbo last decade. But you're right: in the end, you have your sacraments and your Trinity and your works.

It's odd in a way, but the Catholic Church is actually better able to change than most Protestant churches. The reason is that many treat the bible literally, and whenever there is a disagreement on an interpretation, the typical result is a split rather than a reform.

That said, the Catholic Church moves slow.

*Not the TV show

10+ Year Old Account
    Discussion of current world events is fine, even in the frame of an event related to a major religion. That said, discussion should remain on the current event and possible ramifications of whatever is happening. The constant jokes about sex, homosexuality, and child molestation are not any more allowed than the religion bashing.

Closing.