Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    This isn't surprising at all and quite frankly shouldn't be an issue.

I'm guessing people have forgotten the cell of homegrown 'terrorists' in the military discovered recently.

The President wether Democrat or Republican is the commander and chief and leader of the free world

If he is smart he wouldnt trust anyone

Anyone can be a fifth columnist in a military service remember fort hood?

Bottom line is if you go anywhere near the president with a gun in this day and age you have to be vetted up the ass if your not vetted then your gun will be gimped trust me

This isnt disrespect its plain common sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The point is that doing something makes a statement. And that statement is "we're okay with visibly displaying our distrust towards our own soldiers".

There are a dozen ways those rifles could have been disabled. They chose the one way that is most obvious. It's not a huge deal, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but if I were one of those marines in the parade, I would have been offended.
    That's your interpretation.

Perhaps there was a reason for taking the obvious route, to show that the firearm they are carrying is secure. My interpretation also is that anyone who would feel insulted by this is not somebody I'd like to place my trust in to begin with, I imagine the Secret Service weighed the pro's vs. con's of doing this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Alright then. Let's say I walk up to you and your wife/daughter, look her right in the face, and say "Well would you look at this cunt-bag!"

You can be contrary all you want, but any normal person is going to take offense to that. Now, I did not physically impede you in any way, but I've still greatly dishonored someone you care about.
    Of course I would smack you to the floor. There is a major difference between talking up to my girlfriend, and abusing her, and having Marines Rifles unable to shoot on a ceremonial parade ...

Deleted
    Alright then. Let's say I walk up to you and your wife/daughter, look her right in the face, and say "Well would you look at this cunt-bag!"

You can be contrary all you want, but any normal person is going to take offense to that. Now, I did not physically impede you in any way, but I've still greatly dishonored someone you care about.
    You doing that would be unjustified.

There's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    I'm not sure but they are making a very good argument as to why not everyone should have access to guns. If you get so worked up about a nonissue like this I would hate to see how you would react to something more serious.
    I even said in my post its not a huge issue. I dont even own a firearm. Like I said, this isnt about you, or obama, or anything like that. The secret service were the ones who said take the bolts out. In my OPINION, its a slap in the face to the marines who not only earned the right to be marines, but also earned the honor of marching in the ceremony. No ammo is one thing, thats fine. But you dont take the bolt out of a marines rifle, of all the places...marching in a parade for the man that leads them.

Plus its been a while, but can you even do inspection arms without a bolt???

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama fears that the military will overthrow him. He should be worried. Within the next 20 years, "sh**" will hit the fan in this country. If only it could happen sooner, so our Republic could be returned to it's original intent.
    Live Free...

Deleted
    This is a non issue for me, who cares if they have bolts in during a parade?

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Right..now I get it. Oh well..since it is pretty much impossible to legally aquire weapons and ammunition here, that is what confused me. In my time in the army we always paraded around without ammo and not really lethal weapons. Kinda a relief to know the guy next to you can't kill you when he drops his gun and it missfires.

I am effing paranoid around guns..learned that lesson in the army. Always treat any gun as loaded. Anybody who gets a hardon shooting a machine gun or a machine pistol or a rifle instead of being respectful and scared is a crazy.

That from a guy with two years of service. You are free to disagree or laugh at me...I couldn't care less.
    Were you using muskets? Modern rifles will not discharge when dropped.

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience in the military, was that all parade rifles were unable to fire. Why is this an exceptional event? I've never seen a unit march D&C with live weapons, hell they're most often those wooden stocks with a simple metal pipe for the "barrel".
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    My experience in the military, was that all parade rifles were unable to fire. Why is this an exceptional event? I've never seen a unit march D&C with live weapons, hell they're most often those wooden stocks with a simple metal pipe for the "barrel".
    My passing out parade was done using a real weapon, they were unloaded though. My biggest fear was that prick in front of me with a fixed bayonet that kept sloping it further and further back, until it was pointed towards my eye. I always prayed that he never anticipated the order to halt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomar View Post
    Obama fears that the military will overthrow him. He should be worried. Within the next 20 years, "sh**" will hit the fan in this country. If only it could happen sooner, so our Republic could be returned to it's original intent.
    Unfortunately for you, many people feel that you are the problem and not the solution. While it may not be a racial motivated response, it does seem to be a partisen one where you (or people like you) are willing to give your party a pass on anything they do (and I say your party but I really dont feel the Republicans represent most people clinging to the title) while threatening violence and revolt at anything the other side does, no mater how trite or often nonexistent the perceived slight is. Do I agree with everything the current administration does? Of course not, there are many things being done I find repulsive and many things not being done that I feel are crucial. But that is a call for political action (as opposed to the inaction of the current and past congress) not a call to uprise.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust, distrust, armed, unarmed, what difference does it make? There's enough armed guards at these things these days that a dozen or so marines without an operable weapon are not going to make the difference between stopping an assailant.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account

That's a poor analogy. In fact, that's a completely irrelevant analogy.

This is about people worried about safety and people always go overboard for safety. How do you know there won't be a killer among those marines? Marines are, after all, human, and subject to human issues. Granted, it's a very unlikely scenario, but a possibility none the less. Parris is suppose to weed such people out, but it's not a perfect system and people can change after going through Parris for who knows what reasons.

This is nothing like calling your mother a bitch because calling your mother a bitch has nothing to do with trying to increase safety.

If they aren't going to do a 21 gun salute or any firing with the rifles, why does it matter if the bolt is removed or not?

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 04:45 PM ----------

What exactly is our republic suppose to be "returning to?"
    Putin khuliyo

I fail to grasp the QQ around this.

Members of the secret service go around a gazillion background checks, exhaustive training and monitoring. Not every single member of the Marine's goes trough the same. And anyways. What the qualifies a simple grunt to be considerd anything special?

He is just a grunt. His pay is crap, there is a good chance he is actually a psycho as it is a proven fact that many White Supremacists/Lunatics go trough military service, because it a place where they might get a chance to legally shoot people. Etc etc etc.

I am not saying every soldier is untrustworthy, but they aren't anything that special. Just that 'Murica freaking LOVES to worship its militarism.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 11:25 PM ----------

Wow...

So a military coup against a democratically elected civilian President is your idea of returning to the "Republic's original intent"?

Do you realise that the United States initially was founded without a standing Military? Which is rather ironic considering modern American Militarism that is literally curently unparalleled by anyone anywhere.

Rather obvious that you have never in your entire life bothered to pick up an American History book, read the constitution, know anything about Democracy, understand the concept of Rule of Law etc.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-02-12 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I fail to grasp the QQ around this.

Members of the secret service go around a gazillion background checks, exhaustive training and monitoring. Not every single member of the Marine's goes trough the same. And anyways. What the qualifies a simple grunt to be considerd anything special?

He is just a grunt. His pay is crap, there is a good chance he is actually a psycho as it is a proven fact that many White Supremacists/Lunatics go trough military service, because it a place where they might get a chance to legally shoot people. Etc etc etc.

I am not saying every soldier is untrustworthy, but they aren't anything that special. Just that 'Murica freaking LOVES to worship its militarism.
    ...I dont even know...what? I guess as a WEAPON MASTER you are far too informed on every aspect of the universe to argue any of the nonsense I just read, i'll say, have a good day sir.

The point is that doing something makes a statement. And that statement is "we're okay with visibly displaying our distrust towards our own soldiers".

There are a dozen ways those rifles could have been disabled. They chose the one way that is most obvious. It's not a huge deal, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but if I were one of those marines in the parade, I would have been offended.
    Yea but you dont want to give angry marines the ammunition back!

Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    ...I dont even know...what? I guess as a WEAPON MASTER you are far too informed on every aspect of the universe to argue any of the nonsense I just read, i'll say, have a good day sir.
    I at no point claimed to be a "Weapon Master" (whatever that's supposed to be). But I tend to apply things as common knowledge, public information and logic to my tought process.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8JHO6K20120821 -Extremists joining the Military.

http://www.apa.org/about/gr/issues/m...ical-need.aspx
    http://www.usmc-mccs.org/leadersguid...eneralinfo.cfm -Members of the Military are not immune to mental health problems.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/marine_ranks.asp Soldiers Pay...They aren't paid that brilliantly if you care to verify.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I repeat. I fail to see why soldiers are entitled to "special" treatment when it comes to the security of the President.

It's remarkable how they don't feel they can trust their own military. Though it brings to question why did we have the tradition to have them march through with loaded guns in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's remarkable how they don't feel they can trust their own military.
    It's more remarkable that people are able to make the mental leap from this to "they don't feel they can trust their own military".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's remarkable how they don't feel they can trust their own military. Though it brings to question why did we have the tradition to have them march through with loaded guns in the first place?
    As was already stated, they DON'T march with active loaded firearms. Their normal "dress M1's" are inoperable, they cannot be fired, but they possess all the characteristics of the firearm otherwise (in that the bolt works, the trigger works, it just lacks some parts required to fire a bullet).

So, I don't know who ordered that these rifles be rendered obviously inoperable via removing the bolt entirely. They were always inoperable, but someone went the extra step of saying "no, we need to make sure you couldn't have switched it out for a real one, that you could have loaded and used!".

In which case, why bother inviting the marines at all?