Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I grouped up with 1-2 healers and another DPS (I play as feral) and got a winstreak of 8 or 9 as alliance in Silvershard Mines. It is definitely horde biased, but it is possible to win as alliance if you just get people to follow your tactic of rushing everyone to lava and sending 1 DK or pala to top if feasible (look at how far along the top cart is and when the BG starts). If done correctly you will cap the top cart and if you are good you will also get the lava cart. The key is to stop the horde before they can get more than 1-2 people onto the lava cart circle. My favorite thing to do is using Ursol's Vortex on the hordes as they all come rushing out of their spawn and turn right to get to the cart. They'll all get slowed down and dragged back to the vortex once, thus giving you enough time to get a few people onto the circle (warrior with leap etc.). Of course you could be the victim of this tactic as alliance as well but... Also use any chance to stun people outside the circle of influence or knock them out. I have no count of how many times I've ninja capped the mid cart by stealthing, using typhoon, vortex / stun on a solo or duo of defenders just a few seconds before it gets capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Thanks for proving you started playing during wotlk or later. Horde have known about the alliances advantage in AV since it was introduced. The only advantage horde had was on the north tower and we lost that. It is funny that a wrathbaby would pretend to know what hes talking about.
    False. Go check the patch notes hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    I like silvershard mines, the map itself is fine and the play and pace of the bg is very enjoyable.
    however they should randomize the cart's starting spawns, like they randomize starting sides in strand.

but part of me dons't have much sympathy after Gilneas, IoC and AV with their alliance favoring strats.
    To be fair, the level of horde-favoredness in Silvershard is completely unprecedented in either direction. It's still fun but it needs a little work to get it more balanced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    I really disagree with this (played around 100 matches, but every bodies experience would be different). I've found that the first Kart to cap is normally the ruins (northwest) side, which the alliance does have the advantage. I do believe this is Horde dominated BG though.

I'd have no issue with the starting areas being randomised though.
    Lava and Water are also good contenders. And even if the Alliance manages to grab the earth cart the lava cart will cap shortly after. The beginning is only part of the problem, as the only real "Alliance" cart takes more then twice as long as the lava cart does and the Horde has an easier time controlling water and far easier time controlling lava.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Thanks for proving you started playing during wotlk or later. Horde have known about the alliances advantage in AV since it was introduced. The only advantage horde had was on the north tower and we lost that. It is funny that a wrathbaby would pretend to know what hes talking about.
    It's not like Wrath started over 4 years ago and is by nor as far away as classic was during Wrath. In all honesty, this is one of the worst arguments I've seen. Classic Alterac is long since gone and in it's current incarnation a zerg Alterac played defensively is nearly always a win for the Horde. It's really not their fault that most of the Horde always has to rush Balinda because they try to copy the Alliances tactic and then take a lazy and slow stroll to Dun Baldar while the Alliance has capped all towers already and nobody bothered to defend icewing and stonehearth thus allowing the Alliance to retap them.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    I like silvershard mines, the map itself is fine and the play and pace of the bg is very enjoyable.
    however they should randomize the cart's starting spawns, like they randomize starting sides in strand.

but part of me dons't have much sympathy after Gilneas, IoC and AV with their alliance favoring strats.
    We have Arathi, Twin Peaks, Silvershard mine with a big advantage for us. Gilneas has a slight advantage that doesn't really matter much in random battlegrounds as people can't utilize it in the same way. AV favors a different playstyle for Horde that many people simply refuse to play. IoC is slightly Alliance favored but only mostly during the first patch. Next season a single DPS will kill those glaives in a few seconds and Alliance will be left with knocking the door down with bombs only.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerjoe View Post
    I grouped up with 1-2 healers and another DPS (I play as feral) and got a winstreak of 8 or 9 as alliance in Silvershard Mines. It is definitely horde biased, but it is possible to win as alliance if you just get people to follow your tactic of rushing everyone to lava and sending 1 DK or pala to top if feasible (look at how far along the top cart is and when the BG starts). If done correctly you will cap the top cart and if you are good you will also get the lava cart. The key is to stop the horde before they can get more than 1-2 people onto the lava cart circle. My favorite thing to do is using Ursol's Vortex on the hordes as they all come rushing out of their spawn and turn right to get to the cart. They'll all get slowed down and dragged back to the vortex once, thus giving you enough time to get a few people onto the circle (warrior with leap etc.). Of course you could be the victim of this tactic as alliance as well but... Also use any chance to stun people outside the circle of influence or knock them out. I have no count of how many times I've ninja capped the mid cart by stealthing, using typhoon, vortex / stun on a solo or duo of defenders just a few seconds before it gets capped.
    First of all, congratulations to winning with a premade. That such a thing could possibly happen is absolutely baffeling to me. Second, if they keep far enough right you can't hit them with vortex, random players often don't but even so the Alliance will mostly lose the first zerg for the water/lave cart because some of their people always go for earth so they have to fight while being outnumbered and often more split up then the Horde is.

Secondly ninjaing carts against bad players is fairly easy, a good player will usually not stand in a way that allows you to do so. So your story of actually winning with a premade doesn't really change a thing. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    It's not like Wrath started over 4 years ago and is by nor as far away as classic was during Wrath. In all honesty, this is one of the worst arguments I've seen. Classic Alterac is long since gone and in it's current incarnation a zerg Alterac played defensively is nearly always a win for the Horde. It's really not their fault that most of the Horde always has to rush Balinda because they try to copy the Alliances tactic and then take a lazy and slow stroll to Dun Baldar while the Alliance has capped all towers already and nobody bothered to defend icewing and stonehearth thus allowing the Alliance to retap them.
    It doesn't matter, that kid is wrong anyway. AV has favored Horde since my first game there in the long long ago. Calling people "Wrath Babies" in no way proves what he is saying.

The game was changed to be zerged anyway. Its a good fine complaint, but they changed it from the hours long turtles to just people rushing as fast as they can to their enemies keeps. Not really a great change imo.

Deleted
    I like the mines though i wish you had to activate the carts like flags that would sort out a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    It doesn't matter, that kid is wrong anyway. AV has favored Horde since my first game there in the long long ago. Calling people "Wrath Babies" in no way proves what he is saying. .
    I am sorry for asking so bluntly, but are you just trolling or are you really that daft?
    Please don't take it as a personal attack, but having played on both sides, there's nothing easier than AV alliance rushing straight south and winning just because they get there faster, leaving Horde the only option in form of putting up strong defense in FW. Which then leads to Alliance complaining about Horde unecessarily prolonging the game (as ridiculous as it sounds). That's how it is for quite some time.

As far as the oldschool AV goes, the bridge leading to DB offers far better defensive options as the attackers don't really have anywhere to hide while walking over it. Compared to the pathway to FW, where you have ample options to go out of line of sight to recover.

But please, enlighten me with your experience. Perhaps I have missed something...

15+ Year Old Account
    my biggest gripe about kotmogu is that as horde i feel as if 90% of the time i go into the bg without a healer, and without a healer you are screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    I'm glad Horde has 1 BG where there's a distinct advantage. Alliance has had easy AV wins for how many years now?

I play both sides so I'm really not bias either way. How would you change silvershard mines to make it more fair?
    depends on your battlegroup...
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    You can say whatever you like, that doesn't mean its true. Its also funny that a Horde would ever complain of a possible AV bias at all, ever.
    While Horde can win AV, it basically requires them to mount a coordinated defense and offense (or a whole team of incompetent Alliance), while Alliance can win with a zerg rush and zero coordination. Perhaps Horde may have had a slight edge before their start-point was moved back years ago, but now AV is solidly tilted towards Alliance. (Although not nearly as much as it sounds like Silvershard is towards Horde.)

-Alliance appear to have a slightly faster route to Frostwolf than Horde do to Dun Baldar.

-NPCs in Horde towers cannot shoot cappers due to tower layout, while every Alliance bunker has 1 or more NPCs that need to be killed/cc'd in order to assault it.

-Ally base defense (the bridge) is superior to the Horde chokepoints at Frostwolf, particularly since the addition of knockback mechanics to the game.

-Frostwolf NPCs can be easily avoided en-route to Relief Hut and FW Towers. Dun Baldar is full of NPCs that are almost impossible to avoid aggroing, located near key points, the Aid Station in particular.

-DB Bunker archers can range on the immediate vicinity of the Aid Station. FW Tower archers cannot reach the Relief Hut area.

Don't get me wrong, I loved AV both in its old and new incarnations, but it was easily the most imbalanced BG before MoP. (It sounds like Silvershard has claimed that title now, though.)

Erm what? I am alliance and I almost always win SM....

What's with the silvershard mines bashing? I always lose this bg, and I am horde.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    <snip>
    Not to mention that if you tell most of your fellow Horde to stall the game out, they'll flat out tell you no because the way we win usually takes double the time of just taking the loss. They would rather get out and play different BGs in order to get honor more quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    Not to mention that if you tell most of your fellow Horde to stall the game out, they'll flat out tell you no because the way we win usually takes double the time of just taking the loss. They would rather get out and play different BGs in order to get honor more quickly.
    That too.

The only real way I regularly won AV as Horde after the changes was with a dedicated group of recappers. And even then, you had to hope that either the Alliance was sub-par (allowing you to recap multiple times) or that Horde was more organized than usual, and could burn bunkers and kill Van with reasonable speed.

It doesn't matter, that kid is wrong anyway. AV has favored Horde since my first game there in the long long ago. Calling people "Wrath Babies" in no way proves what he is saying.

The game was changed to be zerged anyway. Its a good fine complaint, but they changed it from the hours long turtles to just people rushing as fast as they can to their enemies keeps. Not really a great change imo.
    Worst troll I've seen all day.

I don't like this bg on my alliance toon, because my teammates are usually bots.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love Silvershard Mine, but then again I'm Horde only.

Kotmogu in random BGs is meh, but that's because I'm almost always the only healer.

Deleted
    As Horde I don't see it as really benefiting either side.

Regardless of where the paths may turn, the carts all spawn in the same place in the middle within easy reach of both factions.

Either team can block access to the tunnels from the central chamber if they play it well.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    I kinda feel bad for the other side
    this was said, never...
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Erm what? I am alliance and I almost always win SM....
    Do you queue with others? What is your main PVP spec?

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    depends on your battlegroup...
    No such thing anymore.