Need some serious application advice for jobs.

Well, I have run into a big problem. I have no references. What do I do? I don't know any of my old teachers. I never did odd-jobs. I don't have any friends parents who even remotely know me. I have no prior jobs. What in the world do I do? Listing family members is bad, but its all I have. Do I just simply put N/A in all the fields? Im really at a lose. Ive had a few interviews but still no job. Idk how many applications I have put in and I keep fearing that this is the reason why I fail, because of unacceptable references.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you in any clubs if so ask someone that knows you well enough to give you a character reference, you can ask old teachers depends how far back your talking about are you a recent school leaver? go do some volunteer work then you can get a reference that way.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Are you in any clubs if so ask someone that knows you well enough to give you a character reference, you can ask old teachers depends how far back your talking about are you a recent school leaver? go do some volunteer work then you can get a reference that way.
    Not in any clubs. Haven't been in highschool in3years and have since moved states. Don't even remember one of their names since I hated school and want to forget everything to do with it. I wouldn't even know where to find volunteer work, not to mention I can't get there. No money for gas or a car to get to anything at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Not in any clubs. Haven't been in highschool in3years and have since moved states. Don't even remember one of their names since I hated school and want to forget everything to do with it. I wouldn't even know where to find volunteer work, not to mention I can't get there. No money for gas or a car to get to anything at the moment.
    Start door knocking, are you on some sort of unemployment benefit, how do you support yourself? surely there must be recruitment agencies in your area start using them, if they ask for references then explain too them you cant supply one, cause frankly getting a job without one is really hard they wont know what kind of person you are.
    You can use the family doctor as a reference.
    Last edited by starkey; 2013-02-12 at 02:00 AM.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Start door knocking, are you on some sort of unemployment benefit, how do you support yourself? surely there must be recruitment agencies in your area start using them, if they ask for references then explain too them you cant supply one.
    I don't have any unemployment benefits. I have Never worked before. I live with my girlfriend. Now back to the basic, unanswered question. What do I do with applications since I do Not have a reference and I am unable at this time to get any? I don't have a means to use a recruitment agencies at the moment. Not everyone has a car readily available. I can arrange a ride should I get a job. Other then that I am unable to get too many places.

First of all, An employer won't often call any of your contacts unless it's for a serious big boy job, 2nd You're most likely fresh out of HS, So your field of working isn't extremely big, Something simple like a fast food restaurant, or regular restaurant, Big name chain store Aka - Walmart - Home depot - Best buy - Etc, Grocery store.

If you're up front with them, but give them a very positive determined attitude about wanting the job, you're most likely to get hired. GL MATE

Time to pop in an application at McDonald's, Wendy's, or Burger King.

Target is usually hiring as well.

Walmart will take anyone if you're really desperate.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Start at the bottom rung of a company and work your way up the ladder.

fast food joints, mcd, wendys, burgerking, sonic ect usually a good place to start.

No references.
    No jobs.
    Education that goes only as far as Highschool (correct me if i'm wrong)

You're best starting low and working you're way up. I was a bartender/auditor before my current job as a government interviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Time to pop in an application at McDonald's, Wendy's, or Burger King.

Target is usually hiring as well.

Walmart will take anyone if you're really desperate.
    Yep. If you have no work history (or bad work history) and no references, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up to something decent. Get a shit job at a shit company and STAY THERE long enough to develop references and a stable work history. Don't start hopping from job to job every two months or you'll be quickly branded as unemployable.

I would've suggested having a job while in high school, but too late for that
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

ive been there, sorta still am. i got fired from the few jobs i have had. for nonsense one week i hear im the best they had. next im fired. but anyway ive just put the jobs i have worked at. like the other guy said ur not going to be applying for super srs jobs so more than likely they arnt going to call anyone. just something to get u thru till u can get urself into the work scene. some advice my friends have given me tho is just bs ur way thru it. if u get an intereview its all about just talking ur way into the job. be confident ull get something and dont give up either

10+ Year Old Account
    Most low-level jobs don't ask for professional references. Surely you have two or three friends, including your girlfriend.

Deleted
    Make a good resumé and be straightforward about it, and tell them why they should hire you anyway.
    Use personal interests and strengths to strengthen your point.

I was fresh out of college with no valid working experience outside of my 2 internships (~1 year altogether). I simply put my strong points forward, put out all my strong personal points (stress-free, analytically strong, persistent, reliable) and relevant hobbies (avid PC hardware fan, "managing/strategic" position in games ((yes I put it there, I applied for an IT function working in a team/project)), reading English books (including more difficult works like Lovecraft) and after that made a good impression during my interview. I am very calculated and well-spoken, which generally works for recruiters. Show your passion, and persuade him/her that you are the right person for the job, even if you don't have any relevant references. Give him the option to hire you with a month "trial" time, if he doesn't like you he can boot you with no consequences. Take the pro-active route.

Have you thought about doing some voluntary work somewhere that interests you? That will get you a reference and some basic experience.

Deleted
    As already said, you're best bet now is to apply for Retail/Fast Food jobs and stay at them long enough to get a reference out of them. In the immediate term, Google your old high school to find the Principal's name and list them as a reference (probably will never get called, but if you're wary that it might happen, send the school an email, explaining that you'd like to use them as a reference... presuming you didn't get yourself expelled or leave a really bad impression, of course).

Alternatively, print up a few hundred flyers with your name and mobile number and advertise yourself as available for manual jobs (Yard Cleaning, Landscape Digging, Furniture Moving, Guttering, Fence Painting etc) at whatever a competitive local rate is. Make sure to drop them into small businesses as well as private homes. Doing that and doing it WELL for 6 months should get you a few references and a few dollars, plus you'll appreciate easier jobs when you get them =)