Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Better story lines GW2 or SWToR?

SWToR pretty much designed their whole entire game around the story lines for each class. Or at least it seemed like they did as most people who quit the game said SWToR was awesome from 1-49 while doing their story but once it finished it the game pretty much sucked. While I did enjoy my Sith Inquisitor storyline the story in GW2 just seems better on every level and much much more epic. For one in SWToR some classes just have "I want to /wrist now, why the hell did I roll this class...OMG am I level 50 yet this shit makes me want to off myself" stories. Jedi Counselor Im looking at you.

GW2 just seems to do stories a lot better with more badass cut scenes. For me they were pretty boring until I picked my Order and then they became really fun. I dont know how they differ depending on which of the three you pick but I went with Order of Whispers and it was pretty awesome. The story in GW2 actually lets me feel like Im having an impact on the entire world. Im still playing through my GW2 story now so I dont know what the end will be like but so far like I said its 100x better than any class story I played in SWToR and I even played out the Imperial Agent story. Also Im just wondering since this was my first high level character in GW2 do you get totally different stories depending on which of the 3 Orders you chose or do they eventually merge back into a single story thats the same no matter who you picked?

Anyone else who has played both games care to comment?

I much prefer SWTOR's story to be honest. GW2's story is ok but I'm not a fan of how it is presented (if they would have done a mission style presentation like they did in their first game, would have been much better). While some of the stories in SWTOR are pretty drab, there were a few excellent ones in which were superior to the one in GW2.

All four characters I played in Sweater had better story lines than the GW2 story lines. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the GW2 story much more than pretty much any other mmo, and I prefer the combat system in GW2, but for Story Lines, the height of the genre is Sweater right now. Especially Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, and Imperial Agent. I heard the Jedi Knight story was great but I didn't play it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    To me it seemed like the story and storytelling in GW2 was a step backwards from GW1, and I liked the story/storytelling of SW:TOR more than that of GW1. So in short, SW:TOR story > GW2 story for me.

To me mostly it was a competition bland and blander to me. Forgettable soon after stopping playing :/

I guess both had some highlights over the course of playing them but after a while I can't properly remember the related stuff.

Deleted
    i like the story allot in gw2 it gave my choices and that is was i like. but i must say towards the end i found it to be lackluster (i mean trahearne part). i've played for 500hours still haven't finished my personal story thanks to stupid trahearne

In narrative, characterization, acting and plotting Star Wars The Old Republic is by far the superior product. From a technical and artistic POV as well. Like just the sound design is on a level unparallelled in the genre.

Secret World comes really close. Were it not for inconsistent production and a less cohesive narrative drive.

SWTOR is far superior, but some classes do have better storylines than others. That said, the leveling experience in SWTOR was great from a storytelling point of view. Guild Wars 2 was just... riddled with bad choices, mostly revolving around the NPC Trahearne.

Deleted
    SWTOR's storylines are -Far- superior to the GW2 ones, although I still prefer GW2 as a game.

But yeah, SWTOR's Imperial Agent story was nothing short of stellar.

For me, GW2 was better. But maybe that was because I only played the Jedi Consular story...
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

SWTOR storylines were much much better, in my opinion. I love Guild Wars 2, the art, the character design and races. However, the stories were all pretty bad.
    There was no pacing, no characterization or development in them at all. Most of the time, it was just awkward jokes and caricatures. The cutscenes were awesome but quests with any serious plotline were few and far between.

The generally bland lore and quests is one of the few, but probably the biggest, criticisms I have of Guild Wars 2. The art looks deep and serious, but it's really all style. No substance.

Depends on which storylines you look at.

Class storylines vs personal storyline? As a pure comparison, the SWTOR storylines are better. SWTOR's designed and written to support that storyline, period, while GW2 doesn't have it in focus. SWTOR definitely has distinct levels and shifts in how good the storyline is, though; Jedi Consular C1 is not really very interesting at all. I would probably say that GW2's personal storyline sits at about the average SWTOR class story level, going down as you progress through the storyline (loltrahearne).

Planetary storylines vs world storylines? For the most part in SWTOR, planetary storylines are pretty dull; they're a means to an end to level and they don't really have much other appeal to them than XP, and the bonus series which make up, at a generous guess, 25% of the world questing, is completely devoid of value. GW2 focuses on putting that content out in the world, with subtleties and whatnot; it's not a cinematic feel but it works far, far better at creating a world that feels real than SWTOR's tunnels.

Flashpoint storylines vs dungeon storylines? GW2 (story mode) dungeons actually tell a story as you progress through them; one that I'd probably argue is better than the personal story of GW2. Explorable modes' stories aren't really there to act as stories; they're there to provide context for you entering, pillaging and murdering everything you can find. With SWTOR, you get hit by a jarring transition from the heavily story driven Esseles and Black Talon to the explorable-style dungeons from Hammer Point to Cademimu before going back to story-driven with Taral V and Boarding Party.

Really, feels like it just pushes the "play SWTOR for class stories alone" point of view.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Guild Wars 2's stories were just not that interesting. I'm not into Star Wars in the slightest (burn me at the stake later, after I get some lunch) but I really enjoyed the stories in TOR. I was genuinely interested in what happened next.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR's storylines, dialogue, and voice acting are head and shoulders above GW2. After playing the former, I was not impressed with the latter's static dialogue pose. Although the voice actors themselves are not bad (a lot are in both games actually), the performances are much weaker in GW2. I believe this is most likely due to the writing and directing of the dialogue scenes. I have a hunch that the dialogue read very well, but the writers did not speak it outloud themselves. There is a difference between sounding good on paper and out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not much of a competition imo. SWTOR is ages ahead of GW2 in storytelling.
    Though, and I think I saw Fencers mention this, TSW did an excellent job as well. I'd put it above GW2 storytelling-wise, too. Granted I didn't make it too far in TSW. I had to stop playing lest I keep buying clothing in the store. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    For me, GW2 was better. But maybe that was because I only played the Jedi Consular story...
    You are suppose to play JC story line LAST.

Otherwise its like, "why do I care about any of this crap".
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's not much of a competition imo. SWTOR is ages ahead of GW2 in storytelling.
    Though, and I think I saw Fencers mention this, TSW did an excellent job as well. I'd put it above GW2 storytelling-wise, too. Granted I didn't make it too far in TSW. I had to stop playing lest I keep buying clothing in the store. >.>
    The Secret World's writing is the best in any MMO in my opinion. The story arcs are of course unfinished in-game, but content patches will eventually fill in the blanks and create new storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Guild Wars 2's stories were just not that interesting. I'm not into Star Wars in the slightest (burn me at the stake later, after I get some lunch) but I really enjoyed the stories in TOR. I was genuinely interested in what happened next.
    Speaking personally here; what was disappointing [and bizarre] for me was that Guild Wars 1 told it's story spectacularly and with actual gameplay. I enjoyed the Guild Wars 1 lore and world quite a bit.

Star Wars means nothing to me. I don't like the films or play many SW games. Don't watch cartoons, read comics, blahblah with the Star Wars brand. I sorta dislike sci-fi/outer space stuff in general as well.

Disliked KOTOR too.

The personal expectations I had for Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic at launch were completely the reverse. Yet I lost interest midway through Guild Wars 2's personal story. DEVOURED The Old Republic class stories late, late into the night.

Think that goes a long way to differentiating the quality of writing between the two games for me.

They're both pretty entertaining but The Secret World blows them out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The personal expectations I had for Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic at launch were completely the reverse. Yet I lost interest midway through Guild Wars 2's personal story. DEVOURED The Old Republic class stories late, late into the night.
    Basically the same thing for me. Pleasantly surprised with TOR.