Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Don't you agree that humanity is above the non-sapients?
    Evolution does not have a plan, it does not work progressively or "upwards". Different characters work differently in different environments. It just so happened that intelligence and tool usage is universally advantageous.

    Just because humans are more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom, it doesn't make us any less animals ourselves.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Deserve? We're fucking animals... do tigers "deserve" to live on earth?

    Jeez, the arrogance of humans... We are so above everything else that we have to ponder if we "deserve" to exist?
    Just the ones who do not see the role they play in a game of life.
    "The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."

  3. #83
    Penguins will rise again, you will see puny humans, you shall fall

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Indeed, I would even go as far to argue that we humans actually are good for the planet; we recycle and try to do as little harm as possible to nature. We got the ability to grasp the bigger picture here, we may be the first species that takes such extreme care in taking care of our nature. Of course, far from all of us are like that; many humans are still letting their emotions control them too much. But we have the potential, which can go either way (nuclear war isn't that awesome).

    You also have to keep in mind that 99% of all species that ever has existed are now extinct. So we are not quite the bogeymen some like to make us believe.
    Exactly. Would you say the first anaerobic bacteria who polluted the whole planet with Oxygen did not deserve the Earth?

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.


    Is the exact quote and, while the Matrix may be full of cheese, to me this is 100% true... well the conclusion anyways.
    You gonna start purging the virus then? Starting with..... :3

  6. #86
    No.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeruk View Post
    I couldn't help myself from posting this quote
    "I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.


    Is the exact quote and, while the Matrix may be full of cheese, to me this is 100% true... well the conclusion anyways.
    Any animal in our place would be equally destructive, this is easy to demonstrate by translplanting species into environments that did not evolve around them.
    The matrix quote around mammals is 100% bullshit. There is no natural psychic mammal equilibrium, just competing organisms evolving in tandem.
    We've got as much right as anything else.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2013-02-12 at 02:46 PM.

  8. #88
    High Overlord Silhouette55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Czech Rap-ublic, yo.
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Evolution does not have a plan, it does not work progressively or "upwards". Different characters work differently in different environments. It just so happened that intelligence and tool usage is universally advantageous.

    Just because humans are more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom, it doesn't make us any less animals ourselves.
    That is not what I was suggesting. I was implying that there are factors which make us exceptional.

  9. #89
    Warchief Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I don't believe anyone has the authority to determine the answer to this question for the entire human race. We exist here. If anyone thinks we don't deserve to be here, they can go ahead and advance their cause by offing themselves first, but don't expect me to keel over and die just because they think we're a plague or whatever.
    Maybe the titans will come and reoriginate the earth ....

  10. #90
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,871
    We do because we're better than all the animals! I don't think we deserve to live since we're still fighting each other still which doesn't separate us from the animals.

  11. #91
    Dreadlord Craakar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland/Denmark
    Posts
    852
    Could argue it forever. But I do think it just a bit funny to think that we have basically ruined the planet. I'm on the fence though

  12. #92
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    Evolution seems to think so.
    Exactly this. And the planet and evolution will decide if we keep that right.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 04:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Could argue it forever. But I do think it just a bit funny to think that we have basically ruined the planet. I'm on the fence though
    You could give this to the last 10 generations or so (say..since the start of the Industrial revolution?) Before, people hadn't invented enough shit to ruin the planet on a grand scale. So...2 million years of developing homo sapiens did fine, then 200 years of homo sapiens sapiens fekked it up. And most of it the last 70 or so...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Do we or don't we?

    Are we bad for this planet or not? Do we deserve the right to call this planet our home?
    No one deserves what they overall take for granted and treat with little care, however, no one's stopping us at the moment, so we can continue to be self indulgent, ignorant parasites and call this blue ball floatin' round the sun our home.

    If that sounds too harsh, at least we have the potential to change, do some good and improve or repair the earth from time to time. We're not all bad. The Earth would be predictable without us.
    Do not underestimate us.

  14. #94
    Deserve..implies we answer to someone, as if we must earn our keep from someone or something..what? We don't deserve it, because we don't need to earn it, we exist here.

  15. #95
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Exactly this. And the planet and evolution will decide if we keep that right.
    I posted a topic similar to this a while ago but im too lazy to find it so ill summarize it.

    Pretty much us humans are preventing endangered species from going extinct which is interfering with evolution.

    For example there are two different species of owls and one of the species is dying out because the other specie is better at hunting than the other owl as well as they out number them. So what we humans do? We are killing off the one that is better at hunting to "balance" it out which is really stupid.

    Imo just let it die so nature can run its course.
    Last edited by Ave07; 2013-02-12 at 06:59 PM.

  16. #96
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Don't you agree that humanity is above the non-sapients?
    We're not above being animals who inhabit this planet though, we're merely more advanced.

  17. #97
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,568
    Since we're the only beings on Earth capable of making that judgment, yes.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    We do because we're better than all the animals! I don't think we deserve to live since we're still fighting each other still which doesn't separate us from the animals.
    Wait wait wait... What?.. You don't think we deserve to live, since we're still fighting eachother. (Most animals do not goto "war" or fight at all with eachother.)

    Humans do, but yet you think humans are some how "better" than animals. But then you say we're separate from the animals.

    I have no idea what you're saying.. And honestly, I don't think you do either.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 11:24 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Since we're the only beings on Earth capable of making that judgment, yes.
    Let me guess, you've asked the Owls right? Nature's bookworms.. (lol)
    "The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."

  19. #99
    Herald of the Titans malletin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    denmark
    Posts
    2,734
    well we did manage to kick the living daylights out of our competitors many thousand years ago, and established ourselves as being the top dog of the food chain, not mention that we build great civilizations. While we may not be the physically strongest predator on this planet we found ways to help us overcome the physically stronger ones and emerged on the top. Yes i believe we deserve to live here.
    "any man shaving for a woman should relinquish ownership of his testicles aswell"

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    Don't you agree that humanity is above the non-sapients?


    no not really.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •