Poll: What do you think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, this version of bards are more voice/singing based. I just couldn't imagine an orc playing a guitar or a harp. However, Orcs definitely have battle songs and war chants.
    I like this idea! Maybe bring back Libram type items like Songbooks? I want something different or unusual for stat items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    I posted a Bard class idea myself a bit after your post asking how they could work, Teriz. It got zero responses, so it must not have been a great idea.
    Actually I think your idea is pretty good. I think what happened was that you didn't have anything to draw people's attention, just words. I recommend putting up some pictures anytime you make a class thread. It helps readers better visualize what you're talking about. You could even do what I did and slap some WoW icons on your skill ideas. I didn't do it for every skill I presented, but that little visual punch helps a lot with a wall of text. Whoever said a picture says a thousand words was a freaking genius!

You've gone down a completely different tack here, though, and it's interesting. Mimic seems like it would be impossible to balance to me, but it's a very unique concept and could work. Thematically I like the Tarot spec quite a bit. Harmony spec looks like a traditional bard, which is good. At least one spec should.
    Yeah, Mimic would be a pain in the arse to handle, but I think it would be cool to have a spec that can be whatever the player wants it to be. They could be more melee, a spellcaster, or even a healer. I think WoW could use some new ideas for the classes. I think things are starting to get a little stale.

I agree that bards aren't terribly likely to show up in the near future, but I definitely wouldn't mind if they did. There are a lot of ways sound, music and narrative magic can fit into WoW, and fit well, especially considering the quality of the music already in-game.
    I agree bro. Again, I think Blizzard should really step out of the box for the next class. I understand the need for homogenization of the classes, but I'm a firm believer that diversity is strength.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    I like this idea! Maybe bring back Libram type items like Songbooks? I want something different or unusual for stat items.
    I'm down with that. I think that books are totally wasted right now because no one really uses them.

Bad idea. Remember "enemy skill" in Final Fantasy - it gives party skills that are hard to pull but when played correctly are most OP skills in game pretty much OHKO enemy or bringing entire party to godlike state right from death's door. So, what's bad about that? Well, FF was a single player game and you can have your OP skills without affecting anyone else. In MMO you can't. So bearing that limit in mind, you'd have class that have exactly same abilities as everyone else, but that is much more harder, convoluted and unintuitive to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Bad idea. Remember "enemy skill" in Final Fantasy - it gives party skills that are hard to pull but when played correctly are most OP skills in game pretty much OHKO enemy or bringing entire party to godlike state right from death's door. So, what's bad about that? Well, FF was a single player game and you can have your OP skills without affecting anyone else. In MMO you can't. So bearing that limit in mind, you'd have class that have exactly same abilities as everyone else, but that is much more harder, convoluted and unintuitive to play.
    The skills you copied would be highly limited, especially from players. It would pretty much be a modified version of symbiosis, except it would be extended beyond players.

Very nice class design and compelling enough to even make me one to try one. I hate it when people say they should add bard as a playable race though if it was like this I might make an exception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Very nice class design and compelling enough to even make me one to try one. I hate it when people say they should add bard as a playable race though if it was like this I might make an exception.
    Thanks! The goal was to make the class as different from the other classes as possible. I'm a little surprised by the poll numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Thanks! The goal was to make the class as different from the other classes as possible. I'm a little surprised by the poll numbers.
    I think the polling is indicative of the need for another class that uses ranged weaponry but can use Int Mail and Int Plate, like a split between a Demon Hunter and a battle mage. A class that would fill the gear gap, still provide a DPS support role, and possibly offer up a tanking or healing alt spec as part of their 2/3 DPS classes. Personally, I would love to see mages revamped into BattleMages or bring in a Demon Hunter class using ranged weapons and a little magic (like a 50/50 split of Mana and focus) and have it cross balanace the way Sun and Moon do for balance druids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I think the polling is indicative of the need for another class that uses ranged weaponry but can use Int Mail and Int Plate, like a split between a Demon Hunter and a battle mage. A class that would fill the gear gap, still provide a DPS support role, and possibly offer up a tanking or healing alt spec as part of their 2/3 DPS classes. Personally, I would love to see mages revamped into BattleMages or bring in a Demon Hunter class using ranged weapons and a little magic (like a 50/50 split of Mana and focus) and have it cross balanace the way Sun and Moon do for balance druids.
    I really don't see them putting Demon Hunters D3 style into the game. The main problem would be that the name and the style would clash too much with standard Hunters.

Blizzard is really in a bind for the next class, whatever it may be. Which is why I'm calling 4th spec for next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I do not like it, but only because I am not a fan of the bard class in general. I do like your ideas though and respect your work.
    Last edited by Solzan Nemesis; 2013-02-19 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Given that Blizzard hates classes bringing anything unique, I think a bard is unnecessary. The days of your spec actually making an impact are over.
    I don't think its really blizz not wanting to bring in unique content, more a fear that hunters will end up with those powers (or something stupidly similar) as per the norm

I played a Bard for a while in RIFT. While it was powerful, the gameplay was hardly compelling or challenging in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Where's terrible idea period. Bards are generally a support class they buff the party and debuff the enemy and I see no way to implement them as a viable class. I know you put some effort into the presentation but it's just terrible what do tarot cards have to do with a bard. No thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Where's terrible idea period. Bards are generally a support class they buff the party and debuff the enemy and I see no way to implement them as a viable class. I know you put some effort into the presentation but it's just terrible what do tarot cards have to do with a bard. No thank you.
    Tarot cards have been associated with bards in numerous RPGs. Bards are entertainers, and illusionists. Card tricks, fortune tellers, and Tarot cards fit perfectly in that set up.

Deleted
    Actualy Tarot cards reminds me of Twisted Fate from LoL - some of abilities also.
    Mimic - for Kael - Invoker - from Dota.

In main - i like your concept for Bard class. Good job!

I favor the more traditional D&D bard, also not a big fan of tarot cards. While a bard has many talents, for me music and misdirection is what defines the bard, that and a healthy mix of swashbuckling rogue. Thom from the Wheel of Time series definitely has the flavor. Going that way gets a little too close to rogue with buffs though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it alot. Mimic sort of reminds me of the Blue Mage from Final Fantasy.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I favor the more traditional D&D bard, also not a big fan of tarot cards. While a bard has many talents, for me music and misdirection is what defines the bard, that and a healthy mix of swashbuckling rogue. Thom from the Wheel of Time series definitely has the flavor. Going that way gets a little too close to rogue with buffs though.
    Yeah, Thom from Wheel Of Time is involved in Tarot-spec creation ("Shuffle Deck", "Dealer's luck").
    Also "Magic Sword" ability should be changed to "Magic Dagger"!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I like it alot. Mimic sort of reminds me of the Blue Mage from Final Fantasy.
    Thanks! I had the Blue Mage in mind when I created the spec.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I really, really do like the idea... but again, I find it unlikely to happen. T_T'

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great if it did, but I don't see it coming any time soon.

Here's some questions for you.

How do you keep this from being required in a raid? Harmonics seem to fill a niche that no other class does, meaning that for progression it'll be 'required'.

Tarot, though random is the name of it's game, is a bit too random with a lot self damaging abilities; how do you expect to keep up with consistent dps (IE: not be a burden on your raid, for both lack of damage and needing more healing)? If you do both healing and damage well, then you will outshine all the other classes. If you don't do enough healing then you will be a burden on healers, if you don't do enough damage but have healing to compensate then you will be a burden for progression with tight enrage timers.

Mimic is interesting, but a bit complicated; how do you expect to reflect the "easy to use; difficult to master" mantra that they have?

Side notes: Cherub's arrow should be some kind of thrown weapon, and since all attacks are ranged they should specialize in that direction (throw your weapons or use a thrown weapon.)
    Last edited by Jaojin; 2014-06-22 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Clarifcation on Tarot's question.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel