Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

A wolf has been sighted in denmark

And im actually a bit scared of it. I don't know much about wolves but according to the news aired yesterday, it could actually be sleeping out in my backyard at this very moment. I honestly think im gonna carry atleast a small knife with me whenever i go out just to be able to have SOME kind of weapon to fight with in case it might need it.

I'm afraid my dog could be in danger aswell, as he got a doggie door that allows him to go outside whenever he wants/needs to. What if the wolf sees him as free dinner?

Could anyone give me a good reason not to be even a little bit afraid of this bastard? And dont give me that crap about it being afraid of me. For all we know it could be fucked up on rabies and what not.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

could you provide a news story? could just be an escaped husky dog.

and a lone wolf would be far more likely to attack livestock than humans (except maybe small children).

your dog is in more danger than you. Wolves generally avoid humans. as for rabies you have just a good a chance of a rabid human.

i dont think there is one in english, but sure i'll try and find one. But i'm fairly sure it has been seen by people who know what they're doing and the tracks has been confirmed aswell i think. I'll be leaving for work in 5 minutes and i'll be going outside in a area filled with deers and forrests and shit, so its a perfect place for this bastard. Good thing i got a knife for work.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering wolves usually tend to avoid humans you shouldn't have mush to be concerned about... but don't let your dog out alone.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

The key to this is "a wolf" and not "wolves". One wolf isn't going to attack a human twice its size with its pack and if only one wolf was spotted, it is likely it is separated or ostracized from its pack. Nothing to be afraid of. Just keep your pets indoors and make sure there's no way to enter your house from outside. Also, if you have some kind of garbage bin outside, make sure it is secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    your dog is in more danger than you. Wolves generally avoid humans. as for rabies you have just a good a chance of a rabid human.
    Well this doesn't make me any less happy about this situation! I dont want my dog in danger and i cant even touch the wolf to make it fuck off, because it would be illegal to harm it in any way!

Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    your dog is in more danger than you. Wolves generally avoid humans.
    This. And only one is not something I thing most people need to worry about, wolves are pack animals a solitary wolf would more then likely retreat from a human, unless someone was stupid enough to corner it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lone wolf is pretty cowardly... unless it's really hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Considering wolves usually tend to avoid humans you shouldn't have mush to be concerned about...
    "tend to" not as in " will avoid you at every fucking cost available like a frigging squirel."

I'm confused as to why a sighting of wildlife is such a big deal in your country? There is no threat whatsoever from a single wolf. It would run away at the sight of you.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you say "Denmark" are you talking it's been sighted in your city? Your area? Because we got coyotes, bobcats, and even panthers here in Florida. If it's just been sighted in Denmark in general, I wouldn't worry too much. Although I do gotta say, Denmark is quite far from their usual territory. I believe they've been exterminated in most of western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    Well this doesn't make me any less happy about this situation! I dont want my dog in danger and i cant even touch the wolf to make it fuck off, because it would be illegal to harm it in any way!
    If your that concerned just make your self appear bigger then you are and scare it away. Like I said one wolf will more then likely run form a human, given that its in an unfamiliar environment and alone.

"tend to" not as in " will avoid you at every fucking cost available like a frigging squirel."
    well whatever you do, dont run away from it. that would activate its chase instinct..

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much actually... a wolf alone is very cowardly. It will avoid a human unless it feels threatened enough to forcibly defend itself.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    When you say "Denmark" are you talking it's been sighted in your city? Your area? Because we got coyotes, bobcats, and even panthers here in Florida. If it's just been sighted in Denmark in general, I wouldn't worry too much. Although I do gotta say, Denmark is quite far from their usual territory. I believe they've been exterminated in most of western Europe.
    While this is true, Denmark is a fairly small country and as i said, it could be in my backyard RIGHT now. And i've got no expirience with these kind of animals. I have no idea how to react to a wolf. A dog maybe, have tried encounters with those before but a wolf is different in my mind. Wolves may be a but over hyped from media and movies, but this isn't very nice imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of like being afraid of snakes. They CAN bite you, but they generally tend to shy away from humans.

Or even better, it's like being afraid of bears. They're known to have habitats all through Europe, yet when was the last time you were mauled by one?

Well; wolves 'tend to' do just that: Run like the bloody blazes.
    Unless the wolf is really hungry...

In which case it might seek out urban environments in order to eat your....

Trash.

Wolves aren't exactly dangerous, and unless you've got a really tiny dog, there's nothing to worry about. You might want to keep your trash-container in the shed, though; a wolf rummaging through your trash can make quite a mess.

Edit: Denmark is also larger than the Netherlands, and less densely populated. We've got wolves passing through regularly; often enough that there might be a few packs interested in staying. It's not scary; rather, it would do quite a lot of good for the ecology. They don't generally attack livestock, either, since livestock is always within a human's territory (and therefore considered a human's prey; you don't mess with someone else's prey unless you're starving... And the Netherlands has too much edible wildlife at the moment, so that's not going to happen soon).

Wolves are docile and skittish creatures.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-02-12 at 05:55 AM.

Deleted
    You're overreacting something horrendously, I'd say.

I doubt this wolf is camping outside your house, waiting to pounce the moment you open the door.

Like others have said, it's not going to attack you. And I don't think it'll attack your dog, either.

I live in Sweden, where wolves are more common, and I don't go around being afraid of them, even though they live in the forests near here. And you can bet it's more than one. Never even seen one, apart from in a zoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    While this is true, Denmark is a fairly small country and as i said, it could be in my backyard RIGHT now. And i've got no expirience with these kind of animals. I have no idea how to react to a wolf. A dog maybe, have tried encounters with those before but a wolf is different in my mind. Wolves may be a but over hyped from media and movies, but this isn't very nice imo.
    Well Denmark may be small, but it's not like a single wolf is going to start cross-country trekking. They're hunters, and will avoid bright lights. Do you live in an urban or rural area?

Also, if you freak out over one wolf in your country, you're going to have a stroke, my friend.