Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Sha of Fear [Heroic] information/questions

So, since blizzard decided two weeks is a good time for the next patch (feels a bit quick for me but meh, i'm not a top end raider anymore i gues) we're going to be extending our lockout (killed Tsulong for the first time this reset so the plan was just some attempts and then more farm the next week(s) but that's down the shitter).

So basically i'm looking for any info tankwise (and/or general wouldn't hurt) to get this down within the next two weeks, which judging by last night attempts (where we struggled on every panda platform) is going to be a bit of a challange.

• How do other people handle the "Big" Thrash (name eludes me at the moment) in Phase 2?
    • Is there any "trick" to collecting the orbs on the panda platforms? Do us tanks (since we're the primairy collectors) just ignore the sprays and expect a dispell? I'm asking since especially my offtank seemed to strugle getting his panda down, since he's a paladin and doesnt get Beserker Rage he might have had more trouble I'm not 100% sure.
    • Should we do the fight normally untill we get the Buff? (Meaning killing the little bolting adds) or should we always ignore those? We ignored them at first and got the boss to like... 75%~ which is when we had 8 adds up and people whined at me they got into trouble.

The last quetion isn't really tank related but I figure someone here most likely knows the answer anyhow

If you have any other key information on the fight which took you X amounts of attempts to figure out please feel free to share, I feel I (we) could use any help we can get. I really want this to die before 5.2, i don't like feeling like i haven't completed a patch before the next one arrives

Ow, not sure if it matters based on the questions I asked but we're running as 10 man.

Usually you have one tank take the naked and afraid debuff and one take the dread thrashes. Pallies are good (if you have one) because they have 30% DR from every dread trash. We had our tanks pick up the ones and kind of ignore dread spray. Our ranged and melee picked up what was close though. We just ignored the little adds to get to p2 with/without the buff.

Do you have any logs?

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Prot warriors are pretty amazing for dread thrash as shield block + barrier can negate masses of its damage compared to other tanks, in fact I'd say war's are possibly the best tank for this fight. Generally when i tanked it i would make sure to have a block up for the trash a 40-60 rage barrier which pretty much negates one melee swing from the thrash then a personal cd, you should pretty much be able to wall almost everyone, or ask for a pain sup or even use last stand with demo shout, there's a lot of options available to you.
    For the orbs its hard to say, some people jsut ignore the spray and run and get dispelled which can work especially if you get a platform where there are a lot very quickly, letting an orb through can be pretty devastating on early progress. When I did it i just kept up 60 rage barriers pretty much constantly so absorb enough dmg to barely require heals I would try and avoid the sprays but focud on getting the orbs when I needed to avoid heals. Theres no real trick, you could try the sha assist addon or try learn the patterns but you might focus too much on the spray and miss orbs which you really cannot afford, especially on 10m.
    For the first try you want to make sure platforms go fast as hell, we had people popping cds on the main platform then somone would stay behind on the outer platforms each crackle then once we had the buff we'd use cds on the outer platforms and have noone stay. We never tried killing the adds on the main platform as its jsut a waste of dps, people need to make sure they move only slightly out of the penetrating bolts, if people run around like idiots then the raid damage can be nasty, spread out and just move in a small square out the bolts hit radius and you should be fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Usually you have one tank take the naked and afraid debuff and one take the dread thrashes. Pallies are good (if you have one) because they have 30% DR from every dread trash. We had our tanks pick up the ones and kind of ignore dread spray. Our ranged and melee picked up what was close though. We just ignored the little adds to get to p2 with/without the buff.

Do you have any logs?
    Sadly, i have to admit i forgot to upload after the raid :-\

Also the offtank was not in range for my logs, and the guy doesn't log himself so i wouldnt be able to give you logs which have him on that

I'll tell the DPS to also take some orbs every now and then, i personally didn't have much trouble like i said, but since our paladin has the best DPS of the two of us while Lusting we let him pull (i only got to the panda platform TWICE when they managed to kill their shit on time, and both times my panda died without trouble)

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth69 View Post
    For the first try you want to make sure platforms go fast as hell, we had people popping cds on the main platform then somone would stay behind on the outer platforms each crackle then once we had the buff we'd use cds on the outer platforms and have noone stay.
    Wait, what? Leave someone behind on the outer platform? Is this in order to have him come out right at the next cackle or something? :-\ Maybe the Syntax is confusing me or i'm missing out something curcial here, could you enlighten me? At the moment we keep personal C/D's for the platforms and only Lust on the pull.

And if i gather you correctly, it's a waste to kill the little adds in Phase 1, even when we haven't gotten the buff yet? How many adds do you have up towards the end of Phase 1 then?

Quote Originally Posted by Odeanathus View Post
    Sadly, i have to admit i forgot to upload after the raid :-\

Also the offtank was not in range for my logs, and the guy doesn't log himself so i wouldnt be able to give you logs which have him on that

I'll tell the DPS to also take some orbs every now and then, i personally didn't have much trouble like i said, but since our paladin has the best DPS of the two of us while Lusting we let him pull (i only got to the panda platform TWICE when they managed to kill their shit on time, and both times my panda died without trouble)

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 09:44 AM ----------

Wait, what? Leave someone behind on the outer platform? Is this in order to have him come out right at the next cackle or something? :-\ Maybe the Syntax is confusing me or i'm missing out something curcial here, could you enlighten me? At the moment we keep personal C/D's for the platforms and only Lust on the pull.

And if i gather you correctly, it's a waste to kill the little adds in Phase 1, even when we haven't gotten the buff yet? How many adds do you have up towards the end of Phase 1 then?
    I think he was talking about 25 man... In 10 man it would just be faster to kill the panda and then tele out and kill sha.

Deleted
    1) We used DK and Paladin tank. Paladin was tanking 90% of time and DK was only taunting to get Naked And Afraid debuff (afaik Warrrior and Paladin aka block tanks are better to tank boss mainly)

2) I heard many guilds got problem with this, not our case tho. Tank collecting like 80% orbs (with Fear Ward and fast dispells from healer). DPS picking orbs only when they are close to them and spray wont hit them. Also, dispelling fear from tank is always prio. Its a bit hectic but after some training, its not issue at all.

3) Yes, always ignore adds, its not hard to avoid their bolts, with buff or not, nothing change.

For my guild, it take us 5 nights (one we extend raid by 2 hours) and 90-100 pulls (with some really shit tries, like dying tank in P1 on Sha etc.

Deleted
    Aah, okay that might be why that confused the heck out of me hehe

I also gues that we'll start ignoring the adds completely when the panda platforms stop beeing annoying to us. I dont think we'll be able to afford popping cooldowns on the main platform though, we'll also want the big nuke on the panda's from what i can tell we'll need it! (might change with the 15% haste i gues actually)
    Last edited by mmocf1c430c691; 2013-02-12 at 09:23 AM.

Deleted
    Yes, if you save all CDs except Bloodlust before you have 15% haste buff for Pandas its fine and it can help you to push it to phase.

1) Shield Wall or Last Stand tied with Shield Block should be enough to survive any Dread Thrash.
    2) I pick up every single orb while on the platform. Just spam Shield Barrier and you can stand in everything. Including Death Blossom
    3) Until we pushed Phase 2 one time we four tanked the fight. Once we pushed we 3 tanked and had a DPS Warrior Taunt the first Cackle. The group that went over with him just afk'd until Phase 2.

Deleted
    I think a lot of people are throwing answers to you based on their 25 man experience... and this boss is one of those that change a lot between sizes. You can't cheat platforms on 10, so don't use more than 2 tanks, nor leave people afk in one of them. The most you can do if you are fast enough, and one tank have trouble picking orbs, is sending always the same tank (by having the other tank not being on the circle when the sha does the cackle). Of course, you can do that only if you are clearing fast enough and both tanks are on the center.

1) Demo and Block, plus wall or last stand. If the sha submerges after buffing himself and before swinging, don't care, he will be back before the CD has run out. The shield block may have, so put all the rage remaining in a barrier.

2) The trick for collecting orbs is yes, expecting both dispels and the raid grabing the ones at their feet (a tank dps counts too, so the less running around...). Try to stay out of red zones/and or hope your raid knows what they are doing and stay with them when you can, but most of the times you just have to ignore everything to grab them.

3) There is nothing wrong with killing a pair of adds each time you return. Try it and see if you like it more than leaving all the adds up. It depends on your raid.

Deleted
    Thanks Espada, think you're right since some of the comments didn't make sense at all hehe

I gues we could try the kill one pair after returning, i think our main focus tomorrow is simply focusing on the panda platforms.

Deleted
    If you are going to learn how to dodge the dread spray, try to do it in normal mode. When we started the boss, we spent 2 tries until enrage (half an hour) so people could follow the patron of each platform on their sleep. If people did it wrong, they didn't die, and they didn't had to focus too much on killing the panda. No shame to say it helped us a lot and saved time. Or at least I think so, when we switched again to hard mode the difference was very notable. We probably should have done it when we were clearing it in normal each week, but...

As for mitigating the thrashes in P1, just use a block+barrier or a block+cd like wall or such, on Dread Thrash if you have a paladin, let them take it. With high ammounts of mastery prot palas can negate a lot of damage with a well timed SotR, not to say a Warrior couldn't take it but you require more cds tbh. A good thing to do is like someone else mentioned to let one tank soak the Dread Thrash and have one tank take the naked and afraid buff whenever it's about to come up.

On the platforms, at least on 25m, you can have your healers and dps pick up orbs that are close to them and it makes it a bit easier on you, you will still have Berserker Rage to break the fear and don't be afraid to shout at your healers for a dispel if it's not up, but generally I found most times I didn't get feared more than 3 times per platform, I do have the luxury of being Human which also breaks it, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem avoiding the spray if you're just running around a lot anyway. But you still want to try manage to squeeze in some DPS on the "panda" to speed up the process.

I can't really speak much for 10m, but if you're able to I would suggest pushing it asap to P2 on first try to get the Lei Shi buff, which can help immensly with DPS. You can have people going in with a more of a single target spec for that and then switching to a more AE orientated spec after you've reached P2 and got the buff.
    Probably the biggest thing that rppm trinkets include is the feelings of rage and joy of an unstable bi-polar person when your dps sways back and forth faster than a pregnant woman's emotions.

armory - retired

Deleted
    P1 trashes aren't that big a deal, never had trouble there just a shieldblock up is plenty to survive although i gues i can barrier some extra damage.

Something i'd also like confirmation on;

Do tanks get affected by waterspout?
    Do tanks get affected by Huddle?

Personally i'd say no, and i don't think i've seen tanks get targeted on the video's i've seen. Wouldn't hurt getting it confirmed though

Deleted
    You can get waterspout, but not huddle. By the way, I think you are focusing only on tank things... But you forget the most important part, which is tank responsability too, position of the boss. Try whatever strategy you find, the good one for us was putting a healer on the exact center of the room, which will have the ball when no pass is needed, the other at some distance, and the boss on the middle. The healers will pass the ball when needed so the adds didn't leave the boss "base". Also, try to make the adds pass by the middle of the boss. It's what makes and breaks a kill.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-02-13 at 11:17 PM.

Deleted
    Killed it just recently. I'll also try to give you some tips which I find are key for you and the raid as well.

P1:
    -When tanking Sha, use Shield Block just before 3rd hit, it will be enough for Thrash. Use it more when you can. Demo, dodge trinket (dmc), Shield Wall, Demo rotation on thrashes. That is minor, block should be enough.
    -Get addon for platforms, forgot the name there are at least 2 which are good. Easier dodging.
    -Collect balls, berserker rage if feared or get dispelled. Others should pick em up as well and will do when they get used to dancing.
    -Get the buff fast so you are ready to go to P2 more often =P

P2:
    -Use all your cds when phase starts as they reset in 2 seconds or so. Yay 2 leaps in row.
    -As warrior you most likely tank the boss. You will see from boss debuffs when next Dread Thrash is coming, purple-ish color if I remember correctly, otherwise blue if normal thrash. Shield block on each one, Shield Wall will be ready 50% of the time and Demo you will have always. Use Last Stand when SW is on cd.
    -Taunt back fast when OT gets Naked and Afraid.
    -Keep the boss in the middle of healers who throw the ball, better cleaving for dps. Adds should walk back and forth between healers, adds need to be slowed.
    -Other healer needs to be at the center of the room so all adds come to him/her at the same time, most important thing is this. On minimap you can see white circle and aim for the middle and mark the spot on first pull which goes to P2. If it aint at the middle, healer will mark the right spot when 3+ adds come, its more clear to see the spot.
    -If you need to move the boss, wait until it does the frontal cone attack, or if you are fast do it between specials (10 seconds between each special). Just so it doesnt cone the whole raid, can move it sideways ofc.

Have a nice progress and have fun =)
    Last edited by mmoc940b0cf7f8; 2013-02-14 at 04:15 AM.

My guild (Refined - US 21st) doesn't do the taunt for naked and afraid strat. We use a prot paladin, guardian druid, and a prot warrior (myself). We all have personal CDs for each dread thrash and never once had to call for an external CDs from healers. If, for some reason, we didn't have a big CD, then I would Vigilance one of the other tanks, or our prot paladin would sac. I don't like the taunting for naked and afraid strat because you have to be able to use your big CDs for dread thrash, in most cases, within in a one or two second window. Therefore, if you need an external from a healer and call for it as soon as he gets DT, the vent lag will likely screw you over.

For thrashes, you want to pop shield block every single time. If you don't, there's a huge chance that you will get one shot.

In Phase 2, Shield Wall and a shield block is more than enough to cover a Dread Thrash.

If shield wall is not up, use Last Stand, Demo Shout, Shield Block, and Shield Barrier.
    Last edited by Freese; 2013-02-14 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    My guild (Refined - US 21st) doesn't do the taunt for naked and afraid strat. We use a prot paladin, guardian druid, and a prot warrior (myself). We all have personal CDs for each dread thrash and never once had to call for an external CDs from healers. If, for some reason, we didn't have a big CD, then I would Vigilance one of the other tanks, or our prot paladin would sac. I don't like the taunting for naked and afraid strat because you have to be able to use your big CDs for dread thrash, in most cases, within in a one or two second window.

For thrashes, you want to pop shield block every single time. If you don't, there's a huge chance that you will get one shot.

In Phase 2, Shield Wall and a shield block is more than enough to cover a Dread Thrash.

If shield wall is not up, use Last Stand, Demo Shout, Shield Block, and Shield Barrier.
    Maybe on 25 man that strategy works, but with 10 man you only have 2 tanks.

Deleted
    Gotten to Phase 2 a few times last night, best attempt beeing 44.5 (best after that was like 60%~ so it was by far our best attempt).

People fucked up the Huddle which i imagen will the biggest struggle to deal with since DPS will need to watch raidframes which is something not all of them are good at (yet).

I hear people say healers throw the balls, we used three people last night (not idea why but i think i recall people making a triangle or some shit) to do the "kiting" would you suggest only using the healers then? and just make sure that one is on one side of the boss, the other on the other side?

As for the Dreadtrash i'm not sure what i did last night but the two/three times he used that shit i barely noticed my healthbar drop at all... So i gues SBlock, SBarrier, Demo + Either SW or LS is enough to not be to bothered.

Phase 1 our biggest issue is still the orbs, there are times when DPS bursts so high there are so many freaking orbs it's hard to keep up, also we have to many random deaths but that's just people beeing idiots and not dealing with dreadspray (or even the breath on the sha platform... -.-') properly.

Must the goal is set for us last night was to atleast reach Phase 2 and get more control of the platforms so we atleast partially reached that goal, which is nice (i'd like more control of the platforms still, Phase 1 wipes are bringing tears to my eyes!)

Deleted
    The idea in 10 man and healers throwing the ball is because ball-holder is immune to huddle so other healer is always free. Triangle is there only because of add control, if adds are spread a bit and healers cant throw ball freely aka need to throw it all the time = more raid damage from adds, other healer needs to throw the ball to dps who is the third person on triangle, that person waits till the adds are bunched together and then throws back to healer. When adds die, ideally the ball should be on the healer who is at the center of the map so all new adds come to him and they are already in tight group. There are many videos, but if you want to,check out Soapbox Sha of Fear from youtube, it is our kill done like I tried to describe, i cba to link it you will find it if you so desire =).