Hallowed Brazier needs to be stripped of the Sold by tab. It was finally removed from Argent Dawn vendors sale inventory in MoP.
The model viewing feature of WoWhead is almost certainly one of its best features. The lack of such a feature on WoWDB is extremely noticeable.
For some odd reason, He Will Walk The Earth... is missing the item rewards. I noticed this when looking at Greenkeeper's Pantaloons, and the other quest rewards - Thunderbringer's Guard and Smuggler's Mitts - also lack a source.
The quest is in the game, and I completed it a few weeks back with WoWDB Profiler enabled. I'm not sure why it isn't showing up on the database.
Edit: Alayea beat me to it.
Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback (you've been busy Aliok) - was building a comparable site for a different game and this kind of feedback is invaluable.
• Currencies that can be purchased with other currencies really need a "Sold By" tab. Really really. One of the few remaining things I still go off site to check. Right now these are done in comments but this is cumbersome and inferior long-term.
• Screenshots tied to our accounts, both so they are credited to the user on the screenshot tab and so we can track and view our screenshot submissions from our profile tab. I know this data is tracked; it just needs to be made public/available. It's nice to give credit, it's nice to be able to check back on your own screenshots, and it's really great as a wowdb moderator if I find one stolen screenshot to be able to look at that users submissions to see if there are others.
• Still really, really think we have a need for single pages for entities comprised of collective things. One obvious example (and the place it is needed the most) is for boss fights that involve multiple NPCs. There needs to be a "Will of the Emperor" page showing loot, both because that is how the encounter is referred to by players and the dungeon journal but also because no one remembers the names of the bosses. Another example might be for Challenge Mode sets. People should be able to go to the page, see a screenshot of the full set, maybe a video of the animation, etc, without having to look up every single individual piece. I realise I have been asking for this since day 1 but I still think it's a very important need and something other database sites offer.
• We need a "looks like" [same skin] tab on armor & weapons for people looking for transmog pieces. There are tons of pieces that share a look with other pieces and they should be linked if there is an easy way to do so.
• Still really would like the upvote/downvote arrows moved back underneath the avatars and out of the comment box where they muck up the formatting.
Tziva covered a lot of what I wish for as well. I would only like to add that in addition to having a "looks like" tab, it'd be great if people could use the model viewer to view multiple pieces at the same time. Currently, the only way to do this is to use Wowhead's Item Comparison tool (meh) or their bloated Profiler (complete with scrolling misadventures).
If such a feature could be added to WoWDB that offered a better layout and UI, that would absolutely be grand.
~~~ ╚̨̈́═̈́﴾ ̥̂˖̫˖̥ ̂ )
Pejo, Tziva's list pretty much covers my wishlist, along with Alayea's note. I would add to the list:
- The ability for a WoWDB mod to "sticky" a screenshot of their choosing. Currently, stickied screenshot is simply the most recently accepted submission. Done, thanks Simca!
- More debugging of the 3D Model Preview. Still have regular NPCs that do not load all their assets. (Um, maybe reduce the size of the modelviewer logo for the forum, too.) Would like to see more bugginess in Warlords models fixed in the viewer, but it's not as big a priority in my eyes.
Not a big issue, just one of convenience.
When linking to something in a WoWDB comment, the parser is disappearing punctuation. Commas and apostrophes are the issue. (Disappearing periods were fixed earlier in the year, I think.) I can get around this by bolding the link, but then I have to bold every link in the comment so the style is consistent.
Code:A reference to http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/18183-arechron, father of http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/18445-corki. Corki is kidnapped and imprisoned many times (I hear Alliance players hate him), so I'd imagine poor Arechron receives a lot of ransom notes.
Wowhead is visually more interesting to look at. Wowdb looks plain and uninteresting and makes looking at epics a lot less exciting.
Wowhead all the way, I don't see it changing. I'd never go with wowdb, ever. I hope that knowing 90% of the wow community will never choose your site over wowhead makes you sink into your seat and feel miserable.
Everyone reading chant - We want wowhead!!! We want wowhead!!!We want wowhead!!! We want wowhead!!!
Like many people have said, the comments on wowhead are invaluable. You're not going to get many comments from regular punters on wowdb so the devs should take it upon themselves to either leave comments or make a little guide for the tricky things.
Obviously wowdb doesn't have the years head start or the large community base, but we're doing the best we can to make sure that the information is there where people need it.
I don't know if the following issue is due to the content being served by the beta side of the database or not. I'm not aware of any page on ptr.wowdb or wowdb that has enough screenshots that I could test it on them. Disabling internet browser extensions had no effect.
Only displaying eight when it has room to display ten. (My screen resolution is 1440x900.)
Attempting to view the next pages of screenshots causes the entire page to reload and sticks the user back on default active tab (in this case Quests). User must then click back to Screenshots tab to see the additional screenshots.
Pejo, if you could also add to the list of things to do/improve the need for better display of the featured screenshot, I'd like it very much. As the Featured Screenshot currently is, it is not as useful as it could be. It is cropping images so most of the time I need to click on the screenshot and wait for the full image to load. Example: Ghok Bashguud. It would be very nice if the featured screenshot section (as seen below Quick Info) could scale dimensions better, like Wowhead does, so as not to exclude potentially relevant visual information.
Unfortunately, those are a lot harder to put in, because who remembers those random leveling quests that gave them trouble? Not to mention that the old world revamp in Cataclysm took many of those out and put new ones in, and surely the new quests have been played through far less often. Some of those older things do have comments as people crossed them while leveling and contributed, but it's definitely harder to think back on old stuff than it is to fill in new stuff as it appears on the PTR.
It would definitely be nice if more members of the community dropped helpful comments or screenshots when they crossed bare pages, even if they prefer alternatives when they need to look up things. Wowdb fuels MMO-Champion's news (which would not be possible without it), as well as being heavily utilised by third-party sites like AMR and Icy-Veins. Contributing to the site supports its existence and encourages development to make it a better site. It is beneficial to the whole community to make sure the site is robust, even if wowhead is still your personal go-to database site. I think it's safe to assume that the people here are here because MMO-C is one of the best at WoW news, and if wowdb is needed for MMO-C to keep providing great news, then personally I am going to try to support it.
In any case, it is true that comments are being actively and intentionally built up, and a point is made to have them on pretty much all new content that needs them. Older content is less reliable, but done when gaps are noticed.
Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines
I think it could use replacement, or at least some modification. The logo should have enough information on it that I'm able to deduce that it is clickable and will show me a 3D view of something. I banged this out in about 10 minutes (so obviously kinda crappy in quality) as a sample of what I mean.
Also, as something to add to the feedback list: there ought to be a means of reporting a screenshot directly from the WoWDB page it's located on. It isn't needed right now, but it will be a good thing to have in the future.