Thread: WoWDB Feedback

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post
    I'd like to see a "latest" addition kind of thing, Wowhead has that as well.
    VERY good point. I would love this personally, especially if you could sort it (ie last 200 objects, last 200 overall, last 200 spells, etc).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reason why I am unable to upload a screenshot on a page that already contains one? It's great that it no longer says "Be the first to upload" when there is already one submitted above, but... why no link? The reason I'm asking is because I have one ready for Pandaren Fishing Spear, which shows the item being worn (instead of the "featured screenshot" which shows the location of the object).
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Is there a reason why I am unable to upload a screenshot on a page that already contains one? It's great that it no longer says "Be the first to upload" when there is already one submitted above, but... why no link? The reason I'm asking is because I have one ready for Pandaren Fishing Spear, which shows the item being worn (instead of the "featured screenshot" which shows the location of the object).
    I mentioned that and everyone else said they didn't have that issue! Glad to know i'm not crazy.

But yeah, just keep using the 'first to upload' link; it'll work just fine regardless of how many screenshots there are. It's just kinda dumb it doesn't change, and that there isn't a link on the screenshot tab itself.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I mentioned that and everyone else said they didn't have that issue! Glad to know i'm not crazy.

But yeah, just keep using the 'first to upload' link; it'll work just fine regardless of how many screenshots there are. It's just kinda dumb it doesn't change, and that there isn't a link on the screenshot tab itself.
    Well that's my problem - there isn't any way for me to upload unless the page in question doesn't have any screenshots. Got WoWDB white-listed and all, even. :<
    Urwenn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Well that's my problem - there isn't any way for me to upload unless the page in question doesn't have any screenshots. Got WoWDB white-listed and all, even. :<
    Oh, I misread. A new version of the site went live today, so it must have been broken. I complained too much about the "be the first to upload" and this is my punishment.

I went to check to see if I'm seeing the same thing as you but now the site is throwing errors for me.

edit: you are correct. boo.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Majority of players that use a look-up service need help on a quest or to obtain some item. Typically, this requires some kind of short, written comment. Others are simply looking to see other player's opinions on some item or quest. WoWDB has little to no community and lacks all of this information.

I'd say it exists only as another click from MMOC so that more ads can be rendered to us by your network (curse). Maybe you'd be better off partnering up with Wowhead. Otherwise, if you really want to improve it stop working on back-end and pickup your keyboards and start typing up commentaries on anything linked on MMO's front page.
    Last edited by Laurabelle; 2013-03-04 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Majority of players that use a look-up service need help on a quest or to obtain some item. Typically, this requires some kind of short, written comment. Others are simply looking to see other player's opinions on some item or quest. WoWDB has little to no community and lacks all of this information.

I'd say it exists only as another click from MMOC so that more ads can be rendered to us by your network (curse). Maybe you'd be better off partnering up with Wowhead. Otherwise, if you really want to improve it stop working on back-end and pickup your keyboards and start typing up commentaries on anything linked on MMO's front page.
    Already quoted in this thread, so I won't quote it extensively myself, just the part in regards to your money conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Wowdb was created to replace db.mmo-champion.com which was created because Wowhead refused to work with us years ago and we needed it to run MMO-Champion. [...]

WoWDB is mostly a "hey let's see what we can do with this" project with no real goal. It's a 100% money sink for the company and even if we added an ad slot somewhere it would still be a pretty huge money loss. The main goal is really just to support MMO-Champion's news and make our life easier on this side.

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 01:51 PM ----------

Forgot to bring this up, but awhile back I had posted some info on Zhi the Harmonious. My comment later got a complaint from my twin about spoilers.

There any plans to add spoiler tags to the comment formatting list?
    Urwenn

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: WoWDB Feedback

I have a problem with a post I recently made. See http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/14822-sayge?comment=1

I have "Sayge's Fortunes" set to link out to wowpedia.org (http://www.wowpedia.org/Sayge%27s_Fortunes) but WoWDB sees and acts upon it as "http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/14822-sayge".

Edit: has been fixed.
    Last edited by Somarlane; 2013-05-05 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarification
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Must be a bug with the autolinker, I'll get it fixed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Two suggestions:

1) More space in-between the Select All and Submit button on the image cropping page. I clicked submit instead of select all by accident the other day, so my already-cropped screenshot was submitted as even more cropped. =/

2) The website feedback page could perhaps include a link directing to this topic now that we have a feedback thread. Unless you'd rather keep this clear of personal situations and stick to commentary on the general website design - that I can understand.
    Urwenn

Quote Originally Posted by bsm0f0 View Post
    The only time I use wowdb is when the items are linked on the front page here and the only reason I use it ... is to get to the wowhead link.

I'm a wowhead.
    Every time MMO-Champion links me to WowDB, the first thing I do is look for the wowhead link. Every. Single. Time. I'm not on any wowDB page for more than half a second, sorry to say.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoWDB is eating the periods after links to zone db pages. I have to double-space the period after the link or use a different character to "protect" the period. http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/69606-heav...ives?comment=1 and http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/65096-helpful-wikky?comment=2 are examples.

Also, I'm a bit weary of needing to add a space after any WoWDB link so that I can safely use punctuation. I could just manually create a hyperlink but I am very fond of having the spell/item/whatever icon display - which won't happen if I use a manual link - and doing so noticeably slows me down. It makes me miss Wowhead's [item=####] somewhat.

As a suggestion on something different: I'd like for the links to latest screenshots and latest comments to be displayed somewhere on the front page of WoWDB. It gives me a general feel as to where various members are working, which helps me from overlapping or duplicating their efforts, and I wish I'd known about it sooner.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

I have a serious question here, not trying to be mean or anything, but why does WoWDB even exist? WoWHead is the go-to website and does everything WoWDB does, but better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I have a serious question here, not trying to be mean or anything, but why does WoWDB even exist? WoWHead is the go-to website and does everything WoWDB does, but better.
    From Bibi:
    I can answer that one!

WoWDB is used to power most of what's behind MMO-Champion's news. It replaced db.mmo-champion.com that was becoming super obsolete and wouldn't have survived MoP. It's also a way to try to improve user experience on MMO-C over db.mmo-champion.com pages we had because those were pretty bad.

It's a technological sandbox to let us improve the database platform on a company level. The improvements on wowdb are partially the reason why gw2db was more succesful than other databases for example.

The original reason why MMO-C had to create a DB was already mentioned in the thread, Wowhead got too big to be able to work with us and we were stuck with the choice of either doing our own thing, or posting really shitty news. The amount of data processing that goes into patch news requires way too much access than what we could have gotten from another company.

Some people also mentioned that competition is good, and I tend to agree with that. WoWDB was the first database to support a bunch of things such as spec variable spells or item upgrades. We also focus a lot more on newsing, so our spell parsing tends to be much cleaner to keep the unofficial notes clear: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=100780/jab / http://www.wowdb.com/spells/100780-jab

We also have random features like reagents breakdown http://www.wowdb.com/spells/93328-vial-of-the-sands

The goal isn't really to compete with Wowhead, it's more of a pet project to see if we can find new ways to improve MMO-C and make the experience more enjoyable for users with what we have.
    There's another quote from him also that a few of us pasted in the thread:
    Wowdb was created to replace db.mmo-champion.com which was created because Wowhead refused to work with us years ago and we needed it to run MMO-Champion. There is absolutely no way for a company as big as Wowhead/Zam/Tencent Games to work with MMO-Champion in the first place because it would require us to have access to absolutely everything they have, which is a pretty good reason to refuse.

The first goal was to provide better content on MMO-Champion compared to what we had with db.mmo-champion.com and we achieved that goal pretty easily. It also brought some competition back to the market and improved things indirectly for everyone, including people who use Wowhead. Competition is always good.

WoWDB is mostly a "hey let's see what we can do with this" project with no real goal. It's a 100% money sink for the company and even if we added an ad slot somewhere it would still be a pretty huge money loss. The main goal is really just to support MMO-Champion's news and make our life easier on this side.

However, I'm glad that some people/other major sites adopted it because it lets me work with smart minds that provide us with a decent amount of feedback and let us improve our database platform altogether (contributing to the success of gw2db.com for example) but I'm not really on a crusade to destroy Wowhead, otherwise I wouldn't have them listed as the most obvious link on every page you click.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Aliok View Post
    WoWDB is eating the periods after links to zone db pages. I have to double-space the period after the link or use a different character to "protect" the period. http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/69606-heav...ives?comment=1 and http://www.wowdb.com/npcs/65096-helpful-wikky?comment=2 are examples.

Also, I'm a bit weary of needing to add a space after any WoWDB link so that I can safely use punctuation. I could just manually create a hyperlink but I am very fond of having the spell/item/whatever icon display - which won't happen if I use a manual link - and doing so noticeably slows me down. It makes me miss Wowhead's [item=####] somewhat.

As a suggestion on something different: I'd like for the links to latest screenshots and latest comments to be displayed somewhere on the front page of WoWDB. It gives me a general feel as to where various members are working, which helps me from overlapping or duplicating their efforts, and I wish I'd known about it sooner.
    The period thing is tricky to solve, as we have to support other marks so you can link tabs on pages and such, but I'll note it for a future fix.

Latest stuff will be added in the future, working on something that needs to be done first. Expect to latest stuff links added in April or so.

It is not great, largely because it lacks the comments that wowhead has. Comments are by far the main attraction of wowhead as I'm sure many people have mentioned. WoWDB is just one more click too many before reaching wowhead atm. MMO-champion should do their readers a favor and just throw wowhead a bone, especially if WoWDB is such a moneysink for them.

I read somewhere that AskMrRobot is using the "WoWDB API" for their data. If there already is a way to retrieve data about items, bosses, loot tables, etc without just parsing the html, I'd love to see some sort of documentation or at least a hint how you would start.

If not, well, some kind of restful API would be a great niche to set yourself apart from wowhead.
    Because lets face it, pretty much anything the end-user would need wowhead has already covered. But as an API, wowhead just sucks.
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliok, I've taken to using a bullet point format if I need to use more than 2 links. I'd rather that the punctuation didn't get eaten, too, but that's just how it is for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It is not great, largely because it lacks the comments that wowhead has. Comments are by far the main attraction of wowhead as I'm sure many people have mentioned. WoWDB is just one more click too many before reaching wowhead atm. MMO-champion should do their readers a favor and just throw wowhead a bone, especially if WoWDB is such a moneysink for them.
    There is a reason why MMO-Champion doesn't. Tsiva has even repeatedly quoted what Bibi has said in the past on this matter.
    Urwenn

Quote Originally Posted by lancore89 View Post
    I read somewhere that AskMrRobot is using the "WoWDB API" for their data. If there already is a way to retrieve data about items, bosses, loot tables, etc without just parsing the html, I'd love to see some sort of documentation or at least a hint how you would start.

If not, well, some kind of restful API would be a great niche to set yourself apart from wowhead.
    Because lets face it, pretty much anything the end-user would need wowhead has already covered. But as an API, wowhead just sucks.
    We have a basic item and spell API, but haven't expanded upon that much yet, as that is all that our partners have needed so far. You can PM me if you want access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can the auto-hyperlink thing be disabled again? I found out awhile back that this had been changed, resulting in the display of the link as the text as well the URL. Now I have to keep remembering to use Shift-V so that my posts don't come out looking ugly - and the less edits needed the happier I am. =P
    Urwenn