Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Blizzard needs a new franchise (MOBA?)

    I've always loved blizzard games, at some point though you need to let a franchise run its course, end the story. You don't need to continue it just for the sake of longevity.

    Riot has had some amazing success with League of Legends, many from that original founding team, were creators of DotA a mod for WCIII.

    Rather than working on a mod for Starcraft to include their DOTA ALL-STARS. What if they created a brand new franchise, a new story, using the moba type of game?

    I think it would be a great success.

  2. #2
    1- Blizzard All-Stars isn't a mod for SC2 anymore, it will be standalone.
    2- Using heroes from their big franchises is the only thing that Blizzard have going to gain interest in an already saturated market.

  3. #3
    Blizzard All-stars is a standalone game. That's your new franchise. And it is a MOBA. /thread
    Lich King: I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with a ...s...
    Arthas: Snow...?
    Lich King: Yeah...
    Arthas: God, I'm sick of this game.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    Blizzard All-stars is a standalone game. That's your new franchise. And it is a MOBA. /thread
    gg, mystery solved
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dahorst View Post
    1- Blizzard All-Stars isn't a mod for SC2 anymore, it will be standalone.
    2- Using heroes from their big franchises is the only thing that Blizzard have going to gain interest in an already saturated market.
    This is disappointing news...
    What we have seen from All-Stars thus far hasn't been enough to justify its own game, nor enough to give it any competitive edge.

    and LOL at saturated market...

    Dota 2 isn't even really out yet (and is quite literally Dota 1 with better graphics), Heroes of Newerth is pretty garbage so you have what League of Legends to compete with? Ya real saturated.

  6. #6
    This is pointless.

    I'm closing this thread


    Please contribute and post constructively.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-12 at 04:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    and LOL at saturated market...

    Dota 2 isn't even really out yet (and is quite literally Dota 1 with better graphics), Heroes of Newerth is pretty garbage so you have what League of Legends to compete with? Ya real saturated.
    Your opinions are not facts. Just because you don't like a game doesn't really help your argument that the MOBA genre isn't over done these days. There are a lot more MOBAs out there, Awesomenauts and Super Monday Night Combat to name a couple.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    Your opinions are not facts. Just because you don't like a game doesn't really help your argument that the MOBA genre isn't over done these days. There are a lot more MOBAs out there, Awesomenauts and Super Monday Night Combat to name a couple.
    If they are unknown... then the market isn't saturated. Also being that the leader in the genre is only a few years old. There is plenty of opportunity here.

    Me not liking the games may not have any bearing on whether the market is saturated.

    But having a few titles out there in a given genre, with only 1 having decent success, doesn't make the market saturated.

    In fact its the complete opposite, its an opportunity to release a superior competing product.

  9. #9
    Im pretty sure anyone who likes MOBA games is already playing one of the many that are out their. Just because DOTA-ALLSTARS gets released doesnt mean players who dont play MOBA games are gonna all of a sudden pick it up. Its just going to divide the MOBA players from the other games into blizzards game. I dont even think new story or w.e is what keeps a MOBA game going. I think its just the number of playstyles, characters, pvp and stratigy mixed with rpg that makes it popular. I doubt that many ppl are into the lore of each game.

  10. #10
    dota 2 has 100-250k players on at any given time.. its pretty much not beta anymore. its soft-release.. bit like path of exile.
    Dictated but not read.

  11. #11
    Elemental Lord Baar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    This is disappointing news...
    What we have seen from All-Stars thus far hasn't been enough to justify its own game, nor enough to give it any competitive edge.

    and LOL at saturated market...

    Dota 2 isn't even really out yet (and is quite literally Dota 1 with better graphics), Heroes of Newerth is pretty garbage so you have what League of Legends to compete with? Ya real saturated.

    You make me laugh.

    Blizzard should totally use my idea for a new game. Oh they are already doing that? Well they are stupid...


    ^ exactly what you sound like.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    dota 2 has 100-250k players on at any given time.. its pretty much not beta anymore. its soft-release.. bit like path of exile.
    Your interpretation of the facts is irrelevant... does their front page still say beta?

    Then its still in beta.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 08:18 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Im pretty sure anyone who likes MOBA games is already playing one of the many that are out their. Just because DOTA-ALLSTARS gets released doesnt mean players who dont play MOBA games are gonna all of a sudden pick it up. Its just going to divide the MOBA players from the other games into blizzards game. I dont even think new story or w.e is what keeps a MOBA game going. I think its just the number of playstyles, characters, pvp and stratigy mixed with rpg that makes it popular. I doubt that many ppl are into the lore of each game.
    Your argument regarding the content... may very well be true.

    However your argument about splitting the MOBA community... doesn't necessarily mean they should stay away from it. There were several rather successful mmo's at the release of WoW. They probably should have stayed out of that market... it was pretty saturated.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    You make me laugh.

    Blizzard should totally use my idea for a new game. Oh they are already doing that? Well they are stupid...


    ^ exactly what you sound like.
    All I'm saying is that its an opportunity for them to go a different route with story and lore... while I am sure their MOBA game will be fantastic, a rehash bastard conglomeration of their games and heroes seems kind of lame no? It may have been fine when it was only a mod... but when we are talking about a full-fledged game, I and I think others might expect a little more.

    I was unaware that they are making it a full standalone game... I am sure that it will perform swimmingly providing they don't stick to the original concept we have seen.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Your interpretation of the facts is irrelevant... does their front page still say beta?

    Then its still in beta.
    can you please show me where the word beta is used on the store page. It says early access..
    Dictated but not read.

  15. #15
    High Overlord Sistine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    I O W A
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    I was unaware that they are making it a full standalone game... I am sure that it will perform swimmingly providing they don't stick to the original concept we have seen.
    I dont think it has too much of a chance for success. With the lines already pretty drawn as to LoL vs Dota2, I honestly dont think (this is MY OPINION, just like you've been throwing yours around, see quote ) All-Stars will ever be anything more than a gimmick offered by Blizzard. I dont want to get into a "which is better" debate, but the only way LoL and Dota2 will co-exist is the already accepted notion that LoL is Dota2 for causals (sorry if that hurts LoL players, and I REALLY dont want to get into an argument, but its pretty established and if you would like I can go in depth later). Blizzard All-Stars has something like 16 confirmed characters and about 30 I see on their wiki as "up for consideration..." it has a LONG way to go before its on the depth level of LoL, let alone Dota2. Not to mention blizzard wanted to be less punishing for mistakes, which would put the learning curve somewhere below LoL for Blizzard All-Stars, and we already have Awesomenauts for that.

    Seriously, on a side note; if you havent played Awesomenauts and like MOBAs, its pretty great. Side scrolling MOBA action, plus most people dont seem to take it as seriously as they (I) take Dota2

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistine View Post
    I dont think it has too much of a chance for success. With the lines already pretty drawn as to LoL vs Dota2, I honestly dont think (this is MY OPINION, just like you've been throwing yours around, see quote ) All-Stars will ever be anything more than a gimmick offered by Blizzard. I dont want to get into a "which is better" debate, but the only way LoL and Dota2 will co-exist is the already accepted notion that LoL is Dota2 for causals (sorry if that hurts LoL players, and I REALLY dont want to get into an argument, but its pretty established and if you would like I can go in depth later). Blizzard All-Stars has something like 16 confirmed characters and about 30 I see on their wiki as "up for consideration..." it has a LONG way to go before its on the depth level of LoL, let alone Dota2. Not to mention blizzard wanted to be less punishing for mistakes, which would put the learning curve somewhere below LoL for Blizzard All-Stars, and we already have Awesomenauts for that.

    Seriously, on a side note; if you havent played Awesomenauts and like MOBAs, its pretty great. Side scrolling MOBA action, plus most people dont seem to take it as seriously as they (I) take Dota2
    Well I would imagine that if they are making it a standalone game, F2P business model with micro transactions. That they would probably all but scrap anything they have worked on "All-Stars" up until this point especially since we haven't seen anything on it since Blizzcon from 2 years ago.

    Blizzard isn't really in the habit of delivering half-assed games.

    PS: You are clearly biased toward DotA 2... and despite your efforts to hide, your post is just riddled with undertones.

    3 million monthly players (Dota) VS 34 Million monthly players (LoL) is hardly a line drawn in the sand.

    I am not trying to make this a flame war between games either, I'm just stating facts. But what is going to keep DotA from doing well even when it finally becomes a full-fledged launch game... is that it hasn't evolved the genre, the game (other than graphics) hasn't changed at all... in fact a lot heroes are total rehashes of what we saw in DotA 1. DotA 1 had major design restrictions simply because of the fact that it was a mod of an RTS. You have the funds and the means to make your own game... and you limit yourself by doing this rehash? I expected more tunnel vision at its finest.

    What I am saying is if the next biggest competitor in the market for MOBA games is 1/10 of what LoL is... there is no competition in the marketplace. No one is really competing at all Riot is dominating...

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 03:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    can you please show me where the word beta is used on the store page. It says early access..
    You're right... it had been a while since I had been there myself.

    But DotA 2 is supposed to be F2P... the fact that they are having you pay for early access, means they ran out of money for development.

    Me not liking the product isn't really a factor here... I hope it does well and they can be profitable, it sucks when projects like these flop despite all the hard work.
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 2013-02-12 at 11:14 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    You're right... it had been a while since I had been there myself.

    But DotA 2 is supposed to be F2P... the fact that they are having you pay for early access, means they ran out of money for development.

    Me not liking the product isn't really a factor here... I hope it does well and they can be profitable, it sucks when projects like these flop despite all the hard work.
    gabe has got like 1000 hours in dota 2.. he loves it. if you think for a second they ran out of money youre insane. i bet the eshop pays for its development alone and tbh its a bit cheeky by valve selling early access when theres thousands of free dota 2 tradables out there.
    Dictated but not read.

  18. #18
    Neither one of us has any proof to the contrary... Being that Valve is privately held I doubt we will have proof either.

    But being that they are still developing and working out kinks to some degree, and haven't really launched any sort of advertising campaign.

    My bet is that they ran out of development money (and by that I mean their budget) and rather than seek out more investors, they could offer early access, and charge for it. It ultimately means that they can continue to crank out the game, without having to share profits.

    You'd be surprised how many games are scrapped for financing reasons. Just because Valve is profitable doesn't mean they have unlimited resources, and development is hella expensive and since they are privately held I am sure to some degree it is a struggle, there is a lot riding on its success.

  19. #19
    The last we actually saw of Blizzard All-Stars was how long ago? I think they've had enough time to turn it into its own game instead of a custom mod... It'll be fine. I'm sure it will do as well as HoN or Smite. I'd say LoL and DotA2 are untouchable at this point.

    As for the concept of BAS, I think it's great. No reason to create new characters when they have so many that are already loved (Tyrael, Jim Raynor, Malfurion, Kel'Thuzad, Baal vs. Mephisto, Queen of Blades Kerrigan, Thrall, Deckard Cain, and Zeratul. That sounds awesome...) In a world with Playstation All-Stars, and Super Smash Brothers, Blizzard All-Stars works just fine.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Neither one of us has any proof to the contrary... Being that Valve is privately held I doubt we will have proof either.
    Given that as of a few years ago, Valve was valuated around $3 billion by analysts (with Gaben being worth roughly $1.5 billion of that), I think we can safely assume that they haven't run out of money, and aren't going to run out of it any time soon.

    Between revenue from their own game sales, and the insane amount of money they're making from Steam, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reasonable scenario that has led Valve to run out of money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •