Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Now that is dissapointing news to me. I don't see how it can compete against LoL, HoN and Dota2. Ofcourse the game will still attract a lot of Blizzard fans.
    The thing is as big as some MOBA's are they carry a stigma with them of being too "noob-unfriendly". I imagine Blizzard All-Stars will be Blizzard's take on the genre focusing primarily on delivering "accessibility" to it's players along with a selection of heroes from their pantheon of characters. And don't forget about that Blizzard marketing budget. Somebody already playing Dota 2 or LoL probably won't give All-Stars a second look, but I imagine it will still find a healthy audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Over *fixed*
    Just wanted to point out that "over budget constraints" doesn't make much sense. They said "under budget constraints" which could be the same as "over budget" but not necessarily, just means they're tight on funds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well whether that is what he meant is kind of irrelevant... If he's suggesting the adverse that they don't have a budget at all simply because the company valve makes a ton of money, is so misinformed its pathetic.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 11:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Just wanted to point out that "over budget constraints" doesn't make much sense. They said "under budget constraints" which could be the same as "over budget" but not necessarily, just means they're tight on funds.
    Further more since you want to pop in just to argue semantics... The phrase "under budget constraints" simply means that they have a budget and not that they are necessarily over or under whatever that budget is.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2013-02-13 at 07:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Stop spreading misinformation.
    yes like i said estimated.. valve is a private company and its only rough estimates from financial experts which give a rough idea of how much revenue they make.

steam revenues

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    yes like i said estimated.. valve is a private company and its only rough estimates from financial experts which give a rough idea of how much revenue they make.

steam revenues
    And what it sounds like you are suggesting is that they are taking that money they've earned from steam, and feeding it into the development of dota.

While valve would appear to have revenue stream upwards of 1 billion, (1) that doesn't take into account expenses which would give you income. From income the company can do what they want with.

But I guarantee you that the budget for dota =/= income from valve.

You make it sound like if dota needs it they have access to that billion some odd dollars and that just isn't the case for any company ever...

Especially considering that it appears the bulk of their income is coming from steam (selling games) and not the titles they have developed.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2013-02-13 at 08:00 PM.

He's pointing out that relative to the size of the company, the estimated revenue is quite high.

EA, a company that is many, many times larger than Valve, has pulled in between 3.5 and 4 billion in revenue (not income, but revenue) for the past 4 years. Mind you, the company has significantly higher operating costs and expenses (which we're seeing shift slightly away from as they continue to expand their digital presence, a presence which accounts for much of Valves revenue) as well due to how much larger it is and the fact that it has a massive marketing budget, something Valve doesn't spend much on at all.

I agree though, budget for dota =/= income from Valve. However I'd be hard pressed to imagine a situation where they go over budget a bit and can't secure additional internal funds from cash reserves elsewhere. Valve is not the type of studio to rush something out ore release it unfinished.