Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The focus on Dailies in MoP

So Im reading a lot of attention has been devoted to the emphasis of Daily quests as a means of progression in MoP.

I have to admit, having recently reached level 90 myself the amount of dailies available is daunting.....and it seems they are compulsory for obtaining certain items, especially if you don't raid, like me.

I do see Blizzards dilemma - how do you provide progression for players that have small time chunks (up to an hour)? Dailies are one way, but are they the best way?

A revelation for me in MoP has been Scenarios, they have been wanted by a player like myself since Vanilla. Bite-Size dungeon experiences with a story narrative, a degree of teamwork, and moderate reward. (40 VP's for the 1st one each day, 20 VP's for each following.

Personally, Id love to see Scenarios take a more prominent role in character progression - such as a mild reputation reward. I understand this may be coming in 5.2 (or is that just for dungeons?).

Id also like to see a bigger variety of Scenarios with varying degrees of difficulty - Scenarios that will challege both good and bad geared players alike.

What are everyone else's thoguhts on Scenarios? An innovative alternative to Dailies, or just a gimmick?

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate it. So much so that I reached 90 and never even started them, any of them. I don't play WoW to add a list of chores to my life. I understand that they want things to be more involved and take more time but that shouldn't be the only way. So I'm glad they realized that and are adding at least a little rep to dungeons in 5.2, so you eventually manage to make progress even if you skip the daily system.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-12 at 01:21 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

But dailies are SUPER FUN. Ask any blue poster, they will say they love doing them.

Deleted
    And what about the people who've time to play 8-12 hours a day? How about Blizzards starts to balance progressions towards this player type.. an MMO is time consuming, and WoW is already the most accessible MMO out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still kinda don't get the daily quests hate-squad. I doubt you necessarily need to have them all asap nor do you need to get them to exalted. All the gear rewards are in honored and revered statuses. I'm baffled that some players have still not realized that they don't have to do them all every day and that they don't need to do them every day at all.

It's still just an option to gear up, not a necessity.

dailies are awesome, screw raids!
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

I don't know why this is still a topic. They acknowledged that there were too many dailies and changed it in 5.1. And in my opinion the Dominance/Shieldwall dailies with their story parts between them were much fun. And from the looks of it the 5.2 dailies are in the same ballpark.

Deleted
    I love doing dailies and some of them are rather quick to complete. The ones in Krasarang Wilds are still my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryft View Post
    So Im reading a lot of attention has been devoted to the emphasis of Daily quests as a means of progression in MoP.

I have to admit, having recently reached level 90 myself the amount of dailies available is daunting.....and it seems they are compulsory for obtaining certain items, especially if you don't raid, like me.

I do see Blizzards dilemma - how do you provide progression for players that have small time chunks (up to an hour)? Dailies are one way, but are they the best way?

A revelation for me in MoP has been Scenarios, they have been wanted by a player like myself since Vanilla. Bite-Size dungeon experiences with a story narrative, a degree of teamwork, and moderate reward. (40 VP's for the 1st one each day, 20 VP's for each following.

Personally, Id love to see Scenarios take a more prominent role in character progression - such as a mild reputation reward. I understand this may be coming in 5.2 (or is that just for dungeons?).

Id also like to see a bigger variety of Scenarios with varying degrees of difficulty - Scenarios that will challege both good and bad geared players alike.

What are everyone else's thoguhts on Scenarios? An innovative alternative to Dailies, or just a gimmick?

You really do not need to do more than 2 maybe three weeks of dailies if you are after gear. If you raid all rep gear is optional. Elder charms are optional. All the dailies do is provide people willing to put in the time is to get rewards for not raiding.

I think they are great. It's allways something to do in Mop. Not like in Cata when we had almost nothing to do, only running Dragon Soul several times on main, alts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    WoW is already the most accessible MMO out there.
    Not even close, I'm not going to say one is better than the other, because that's flame bait garbage, but GW2 is far, far more accessible than WoW.

To reiterate, Id like to hear on what people think about Scenarios playing a more prominent role as an alterntative to Dailies. I am aware that Dailies as a topic themselves have been discussed a lot already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    But dailies are SUPER FUN. Ask any blue poster, they will say they love doing them.
    You don't need to do all dailies, every day to achieve the most out of your class / time. I've been doing all the dailies for about 1 week now, and i'm already swamped in Lesser Charms, and a load of my reputations are approving revered / exalted.

I've enjoyed doing my dailies, and once i'm exalted with them all, I'll continue to do a few for the enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to do dailies, ever. You totally have the same old option of grinding heroic dungeons for gear to get into LFR, or directly into normals if your actually in a guild. Dailies are an option given to people who don't raid or don't raid often in order to build their characters power up some.

The main issue is the community has this crazy consumption issue where, if it is purple, they want it. And - by god - they don't want to have to put a dedicated amount of time into some Vendor trash epics!
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryft View Post
    To reiterate, Id like to hear on what people think about Scenarios playing a more prominent role as an alterntative to Dailies. I am aware that Dailies as a topic themselves have been discussed a lot already.
    I have not run a daily since Halloween. I have not done a scenario besides the new ones since the first weekend of MoP and I have not run a heroic since we started raiding. I do not cap valor weekly and have only bought a couple of valor items to replace blues. I am in a guild of married adult professionals mostly over 35 and most of us do not cap valor or do dailies. yet we are 16/16H as of two weeks ago.

Point is do what you want to do. Scenarios are the fastest way to cap valor, dailies get you rep if you need/want it. Heroics gear you up for LFR, Raiding will get you the best loot. If you want to maximize your toon then you will want to do them all but dailies are not mandatory. Scenarios are just a fun diversion with some story IMO and no further importance should be placed on them besides what they are doing to help rep gains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    And what about the people who've time to play 8-12 hours a day? How about Blizzards starts to balance progressions towards this player type.. an MMO is time consuming, and WoW is already the most accessible MMO out there.
    You can't possibly actually believe in the fact that tuning a game towards players that have 12 hours a day to play is a good thing? That's just screaming for more grinds.

Sounds like another "Omg, I'm too hardcore to actually do stuff I don't like. Gimme my gear free, I'm awesomesauce."

I like dailies. That doesn't mean that everything about them was executed perfectly in MoP (Golden Lotus is just too fucking much, a lot of the Shado Pan ones are just a gigantic pain in the ass), but I like the concept as a whole.

I expected much more from the Scenarios than they turned out to be, honestly. I did a few when MoP came out and never bothered queueing since then. I just don't find them any fun, unfortunately. It's just way too simple und underwhelming, to the point of absolute boredom. The simplicity and relaxed gameplay is more something I expect and enjoy from solo content, like dailies.

Scenarios sounded like a really, really cool idea - a chance to design interesting PvE encounters that don't rely on the "trinity" design that much, but emphasize creative use of abilities and survivability more. But I guess that just wasn't the concept Blizzard was going for with them - they probably just wanted to provide something that requires little time to do and is supposed to be some kind of a cross between elite group quests and GW2 zerg/buttonmash dungeons.

There's so much stuff they could do with Scenarios - interesting gameplay, alternative means to farm VP, even reputation - but I guess Blizzards intention was just different.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-02-12 at 02:40 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, well to answer your concern, i think Scenarios would be a fun alternative to dailys, But i personaly don't see any problem with dailys, don't like them don't do them, it's as simple as that, But i think making Scenarios add towards charms/rep etc would be fun, Allthough i believe in the next patch they are allowing you to 2champion" a faction on your first random HC, not sure if it was also Scenarios But all in all i rather enjoy Scenarios, a nice fun thing to do^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I do one scenario a day on a dps character while I'm waiting for my Heroic daily to pop. If I'm Valour capped I don't even bother logging in on that character unless I'm raiding or someone needs some added firepower or enchants. At 40 points the first one is well worth doing (as it is the same as a second Heroic dungeon), but once those are done that's it.

I've got decent loot from them, but the boost to the loot came too late for my main, who DE'd the bracers that rained out of them.
    My DK alt has benefited though.

The Operation Shieldwall dailies were excellent, as they were broken up by story (but I was done with my other reps at that point - Anglers and Cloud Serpent both optional and proper last). Every couple of sets of dailies, you'd get some story, so there wasn't the same relentless grind that was Golden Lotus/Klaxxi then replaced by AC/SP (with an overlap of all 4 when you hit GL Revered).

Scenarios are a mild distraction that you say "Hi" at the start of and then proceed to do your job without a word, fully capable of soloing, and occasionally duo-ing the content. They are more predictable than dailies, and only the first one is more profitable in terms of VP per hour invested than dailies.

Deleted
    Having nothing to do is better than having dailies to do. Now, if they'd only make the good crafting patterns you get from reputation grinds drop in dungeons and/or raids then there really would be no need to get the rep. But since they won't, the daily grind still won't be optional