Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    OP, since you are a translator living in Europe, it would make sense to consolidate your knowledge of European languages. With the EU's translation norms and multilingual institutions, intra-European translation is a solid market, at least for long-term career purposes if you're wary for the time being. Among the languagues you're considering, I think German would be a good asset to have in your portfolio.

Generally speaking, English is a no-brainer for non-native speakers. After that, depends on your goals and what corner of the world you have your sights on. Spanish and Portuguese offer a nice coverage, with both developed and developing countries; Chinese is an obvious pick, political uncertainty notwithstanding. I'm doubtful about Japanese; even though I learned it, I don't think it offers as much in the way of opportunities as the others.

And I'm a bit sceptical about the number of native speakers as an argument for Mandarin. I'm more inclined to mention their prosperity and culture as far as incentives go.
    Last edited by Sealed; 2013-02-13 at 12:32 AM.