1. #1

    Looking for a guide on tanking LFR

    Hi,

    I've tanked the first raid, Mogu'shan Vaults, in LFR twice with ease (of course). Before doing it, I read a tanking guide for each encounter so I knew what I was doing before wasting 24 others time.

    I am not able to do the next raid, Heart of Fear, and would like to read up on each encounter again so I can be ready.

    Does anyone know where I can find a tanking guide for this LFR raid?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    You are the 1%.

    The vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of LFR-ers give no time, effort or forethought to the encounter or the group. Sadly, this is ok, because the vast majority of mechanics and abilities in LFR do not apply or are so inconsequential as to be ignored (see Stone Guard LFR).

    I don't think there is a guide anywhere, because (not trying to be rude or inflammatory) there is simply no reason to write one. The LFR encounters are designed for the "average" player in mind, which given your dedication to the raid scene by even posting on a fan-site, you are leagues ahead of. I'm sorry that I can't offer any suggestion there.

    What I WOULD suggest is that you review the dungeon journal (I think it's default J) for the bosses. Select 25(LFR) and look over their abilities. The items you may have to worry about are marked with a shield icon (for tank), but read over them all. Obviously, this won't replace DOING the fights, but you can at least familiarize yourself for if/when tank swaps need to happen, relevant debuffs, etc. Also, check youtube for normal mode versions of the fights, as they are more or less similar to the LFR versions of HoF/ToES.

    Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

  3. #3
    MGV:

    Boss 1: tank bosses together.
    Boss 2: take the right-hand blue crystal, use extra button on boss specials like earthquake and draw flame.
    Boss 3: kill white add when ported down.
    Boss 4: tank first mob facing raid. raid runs through boss at Annihilate. Tank + spank the rest
    Boss 5: Tank boss, tank add. Kill add. Kill little adds. Rinse/repeat until boss dead.
    Boss 6: Tank boss in a corner by the stairs. Dodge slash (watch the blue slash animation)

    HoF:
    Boss 1: tank boss. Dodge shit.
    Boss 2: swap boss on 2-3 stacks of Assault. Tank away from tornados.
    Boss 3: stay in front of boss, don't step in purple circle.
    Boss 4: tank adds and boss. Pull boss to center of room and tank there at 75%.
    Boss 5: when transformed spam 1 on boss, or abomination. Use 2 or 3 to interrupt yourself.
    Boss 6: swap on 3 stacks. Tank adds. repeat until 30%. Dodge purple shit on ground.

    ToES:
    Boss 1: move boss from blue puddle. Kill Kaolan, then Regail, then Asani.
    Boss 2: face away from raid. Swap on 15 stacks. use sunbeam to reset stacks. Tank big add in front of boss, 10-20 meters behind healers.
    Boss 3: swap at 10 stacks. tank adds. kill one, mark it.
    Boss 4: stand in yellow circle. Tank boss. Taunt boss if other tank is ported away. When add is dead on outside platform, click the yellow light in the middle of the pagoda to return to the boss.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  4. #4
    Wow nice, thank you for that!

    I'll check out some videos just to see what each ability looks like to be sure.

  5. #5
    I did HoF and ToES yesterday without fail thanks to you guys (I even had to explain a few fights to another new tank). I got 1x gloves and 1x belt and many many bags of gold (which I hear is very common).

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    You are the 1%.

    The vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of LFR-ers give no time, effort or forethought to the encounter or the group. Sadly, this is ok, because the vast majority of mechanics and abilities in LFR do not apply or are so inconsequential as to be ignored (see Stone Guard LFR).

    I don't think there is a guide anywhere, because (not trying to be rude or inflammatory) there is simply no reason to write one. The LFR encounters are designed for the "average" player in mind, which given your dedication to the raid scene by even posting on a fan-site, you are leagues ahead of. I'm sorry that I can't offer any suggestion there.

    What I WOULD suggest is that you review the dungeon journal (I think it's default J) for the bosses. Select 25(LFR) and look over their abilities. The items you may have to worry about are marked with a shield icon (for tank), but read over them all. Obviously, this won't replace DOING the fights, but you can at least familiarize yourself for if/when tank swaps need to happen, relevant debuffs, etc. Also, check youtube for normal mode versions of the fights, as they are more or less similar to the LFR versions of HoF/ToES.

    Best of luck.
    One of the best guides to the LFR I have seen is here on MMO C have a look at:

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...AQ-amp-Tactics

    As I was the same as the OP wanting to know about the fights from doing them to save the waves if bitching if I made a mistake on my 1st go and it covers all the rolls.

    The simple guide by Butler Log is good tho just for tanking
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    MGV:

    Boss 1: tank bosses together.
    Boss 2: take the right-hand blue crystal, use extra button on boss specials like earthquake and draw flame.
    Boss 3: kill white add when ported down.
    Boss 4: tank first mob facing raid. raid runs through boss at Annihilate. Tank + spank the rest
    Boss 5: Tank boss, tank add. Kill add. Kill little adds. Rinse/repeat until boss dead.
    Boss 6: Tank boss in a corner by the stairs. Dodge slash (watch the blue slash animation)

    HoF:
    Boss 1: tank boss. Dodge shit.
    Boss 2: swap boss on 2-3 stacks of Assault. Tank away from tornados.
    Boss 3: stay in front of boss, don't step in purple circle.
    Boss 4: tank adds and boss. Pull boss to center of room and tank there at 75%.
    Boss 5: when transformed spam 1 on boss, or abomination. Use 2 or 3 to interrupt yourself.
    Boss 6: swap on 3 stacks. Tank adds. repeat until 30%. Dodge purple shit on ground.

    ToES:
    Boss 1: move boss from blue puddle. Kill Kaolan, then Regail, then Asani.
    Boss 2: face away from raid. Swap on 15 stacks. use sunbeam to reset stacks. Tank big add in front of boss, 10-20 meters behind healers.
    Boss 3: swap at 10 stacks. tank adds. kill one, mark it.
    Boss 4: stand in yellow circle. Tank boss. Taunt boss if other tank is ported away. When add is dead on outside platform, click the yellow light in the middle of the pagoda to return to the boss.
    ToES:
    Boss 2: swap on 1 stack (shadow breath)* jackasses like me sometimes reset their stacks halfway (not recommended)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    I did HoF and ToES yesterday without fail thanks to you guys (I even had to explain a few fights to another new tank). I got 1x gloves and 1x belt and many many bags of gold (which I hear is very common).

    Thanks again!
    Awesome, more power to you! And grats on your loot! Maybe someday I'll have the courage to tank for 24 strangers also!

  9. #9
    Warchief Velthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,164
    Awesome that someone actually cares about what to do in LFR, kudos.

    Signature made by my best friend Aryiana.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Awesome that someone actually cares about what to do in LFR, kudos.
    On Tsulong, the healers had no idea what they were supposed to do, so we wiped.

    I actually read the LFR guides at http://nolifeat90.blogspot.com/ and it's nice because it explains the fight, then says what each role should do in 1-2 sentences.

    I just kept that open on my second screen to keep referring to it before each encounter.
    Last edited by Herbert; 2013-02-14 at 07:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •